what cause your ESC to catch FIRE????

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkattack99

well i took my savage flux for it first run to day and well didn't go well first my reverse was forward and my forward was reverse don't know whats going on there when i tried to reverse it on the contoller it took off and broke a shock. and then to top it all off my ESC catches fire and i mean literally catches fire, any reasons as to why this happens.

i was running 2 3s packs 25c rating 5000mah for both packs 43/20 gearing badland tires. and the esc was a castle creations version not the blur or flux version.

thanks

there kershaw designs packs, the flip that busted my shock could have done it but it hit the front.

didnt know kershaw had packs. I'm talking about a direct hit. I watched it happen on a vid where a guy was jumping into rocks. I know most of the fire issues were due to packs that were under rated. If you burn up with a pack under 25C your warranty is void from HPI so they mean it ... So many poop packs on the market its hard to tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
some pics

2010-06-01202829.jpg

2010-06-01202911.jpg

melted them right off the esc
2010-06-01203042.jpg

how do you know if you have a true 25c rated pack just guess?

well the sucky part is iv had this esc for a year or so, so I'm pretty sure there is no more warrenty, which really sucks cause now i have to wait till the end of the month to get a new one.

do you think the motor is ok? or do you think with these fires they get screwed up too?

didnt know kershaw had packs. I'm talking about a direct hit. I watched it happen on a vid where a guy was jumping into rocks. I know most of the fire issues were due to packs that were under rated. If you burn up with a pack under 25C your warranty is void from HPI so they mean it ... So many poop packs on the market its hard to tell.

i didn't know they made packs either, someone on this forum told me about them and loved them worked great for him he said so i tried them and they were pretty reasonably priced too.

should i discharge my LiPo's to the cut off voltage, cause its like going to be a month till i can get a new esc, or can i leave them charged?

cause there fully charged i only used it for like 2 minutes when it cought fire. so they are still fully charged.

should i discharge my LiPo's to the cut off voltage, cause its like going to be a month till i can get a new esc, or can i leave them charged?

cause there fully charged i only used it for like 2 minutes when it cought fire. so they are still fully charged.

Need to get to the bottom of why the ESC flamed before you throw those packs back into your new esc.

Is this a brand-new truck to you? Have you run other packs in this truck before?

I see a pic of what appears to be metal shocks and TCS Tvps.... what does your truck weigh?

yeah thats a good idea, well no it not new in away its been converted twice now this being the second time but this is the first converstion were i used all flux parts.
yeah there aluminum BB, and the TCS tvps
weight thats a good question i will have to weight it and get back to you.

Your mill "should" be ok. As far as Fred said the packs could have a issue. (BUT) Does your charger have a store setting? Mine do. Look into that for storing them. I think they are best stored at 60%. I'm not dead positive on the number like I said caz my chargers do it for me.

Your mill "should" be ok. As far as Fred said the packs could have a issue. (BUT) Does your charger have a store setting? Mine do. Look into that for storing them. I think they are best stored at 60%. I'm not dead positive on the number like I said caz my chargers do it for me.

Need to get to the bottom of why the ESC flamed before you throw those packs back into your new esc.

Is this a brand-new truck to you? Have you run other packs in this truck before?

I see a pic of what appears to be metal shocks and TCS Tvps.... what does your truck weigh?

well no my charger doesn't have a storage function i just discharged one of them to 3.90volts cause there is something wrong with the second one. sending that back to dan hes going to look at it and send me a replacement if need be.

as for the weight i don't know how accurate it is but its about 16 lbs give or take with batteries.

and i did have one other battery connected to this ESC it was a thunderpower 40c 5000mah 3s just one. this is how ever the first time i had 2 3s lipos in series connected to this esc.

well no my charger doesn't have a storage function i just discharged one of them to 3.90volts cause there is something wrong with the second one. sending that back to dan hes going to look at it and send me a replacement if need be.

as for the weight i don't know how accurate it is but its about 16 lbs give or take with batteries.

and i did have one other battery connected to this ESC it was a thunderpower 40c 5000mah 3s just one. this is how ever the first time i had 2 3s lipos in series connected to this esc.

"cause there is something wrong with the second one"...

May have just found out why you went up ..

I don't want to say anything negative about Dan. (good guy good products) but that is going on what he "makes" not what he relabels... Fact of the matter is he does not make lipos. I went to his site and one of the first packs he had up I know to be junk. A guy here bought the same ones and labeled them for sale. Sadly I got one. Barley had the jam to run my blitz but yet were claimed to be 40C.. No one in the states makes lipos. They just buy and sticker. Worst part is most that are sold like this are pure junk.

Thunder power are known to be good. I doubt its part of your issue.

it charged fine when i first got it, but now after the flame out my charger says theres no battery connected to it even though i did have it connected. so you think the battery when awall and caused this?

"cause there is something wrong with the second one"...

May have just found out why you went up ..

I don't want to say anything negative about Dan. (good guy good products) but that is going on what he "makes" not what he relabels... Fact of the matter is he does not make lipos. I went to his site and one of the first packs he had up I know to be junk. A guy here bought the same ones and labeled them for sale. Sadly I got one. Barley had the jam to run my blitz but yet were claimed to be 40C.. No one in the states makes lipos. They just buy and sticker. Worst part is most that are sold like this are pure junk.

Thunder power are known to be good. I doubt its part of your issue.

Ok, I forgot if we were talking 4s or 6s here so i went back & checked and you said your running 25c 6s packs so this is starting to make sense.

Bankrupter just gave you a wealth of good info up there and anyone who owns a brushless truck (especially a flux caz its a heavy truck) needs to re-read it and make sure they understand what is being said there.

Special note on 6s packs & the Flux- read this https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10266

on 6s (at full charge)lipos, your pushing the max voltage that the esc can handle. This is ok PROVIDED that your packs can deliver enough current flow to feed the truck. If your packs amperage is too low, it will cause the Brushless System TO STRAIN from lack of power & overheat or catch fire.

This is true with any electrical powered motor.

In this case, it APPEARS (imo) that the combination of a overly heavy flux (16#) being powered by a packs with low/questionable Amperage cauzed the truck to overheat. Just be careful running the same set up again.

no i didn't get an ETA one when they will get some in stock.

is there anyway to test if they are 25c rating? cause I'm kind of worried and i don't think dan will refund me my money for the LiPo's (but i havn't emailed him either just for a replacement of the battery that seemed to be bad) and i don't think castle will send me another esc if it happens again. so i think I'm pretty much screwed

would an esc with a higher amp rating like the tekin be more benifical here? but still keep my mmm motor? ( not that anybody has them in stock)

forgot to add something, is there anyway to lighten a truck with out spending gobs and gobs of money.
probly not huh

and if i try again which I'm leary about should i try maybe a 43/15 or a 47/15 (i have both) cause i only ran it for like 2 minutes if that so i don't know if it would be gearing or not. it was just a test run to see if it worked.

i know you probably can't tell from a pic about a battery but these are the batteries i used pic of only one cause i sent the other back to day. could it also be possible that i happened to get a bad battery too (with my luck possible, lol)

2010-06-04134708.jpg

thats not melted,
003-11.jpg

this is melted.

my flux burnt 3 times in 6 mounths.hpi covered 2 times.my batterys were smc 25c 5000mah 2 cell.hpi said it is a bad esc design.thats why they upgraded the flux but if u use a novak or a hobby wing esc it works fine go figure

my flux burnt 3 times in 6 mounths.hpi covered 2 times.my batterys were smc 25c 5000mah 2 cell.hpi said it is a bad esc design.thats why they upgraded the flux but if u use a novak or a hobby wing esc it works fine go figure

what is the rest of your set up?

your at the mim c rating with those packs.

what gearing?
what wheels/tires?

what was your temps during run? (motor/esc/batteries)

I am new the BL world and am extremely curious as to what combo causes these issues.....its not battery choice alone

what is the rest of your set up?

your at the mim c rating with those packs.

what gearing?
what wheels/tires?

what was your temps during run? (motor/esc/batteries)

I am new the BL world and am extremely curious as to what combo causes these issues.....its not battery choice alone

i i know rich (angelle) had no name ebay batts back in april when we were trouble-shooting this.

i still suspect a questionable C rating stated by the mfg and bet it was a combination of low current (less than 125A) combined with the weight of the truck = heavy load for underpowered motor resulting in the china syndrome.

:slayer:

thats not melted,
003-11.jpg

this is melted.

well luckly i got mine put out before that much damage was done.

but anyway i got my new esc and my new battery and everything is running great temps for the esc hit between 114 and 119, and the motor was getting around 120 to 129 give or take but is running great now.

although ever since i had the on/off switch soldered together the fan seems to stay on now is that good or bad?

the fan stays on? strange. it should be temp controlled....

Latest posts

Members online

Back