what, besides weight, sets racers apart from bashers?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k0m0d067

weight is obviously a factor, but if you're running enough power, that could be a moot point...right? and if you've got the power to push your truck around at high speeds, wouldn't weight help you stay on the track, etc??

I've noticed people that race set their a-arms pretty close to level with the ground, instead of like a jacked up 4x4...does this improve handling/cornering, etc?

the reason I ask, is I want to build my nice basher, but I want to have a shot at beatin my buddy's Revo in a race...cuz he's down on Savages (call's them salvages)

Just work on improving your driving skills to the point that your friend will have to outdrive you,any body can buy a big motor but few can drive them effectively.

that wasn't my question...my question was tech/hardware oriented...

so assume the skills are equal...what can be done to make a Savage more competitive with the Revo as far as racability...

Well you know whats funny is i have both trucks.I bought the revo to race and the savage to bash lol.So i think if the skills are even then you don't have much of a chance,the revo is just more of a racer than the savage.So maybe if you lower, and extend the chassis and put like a surefire .32 in it then you would stand a better chance.good luck and sorry if this wasnt much help for you.

well, I'm actually putting a .46 truckzilla engine in it...plus a Savage X LCG chassis...will that help? :)

big time you are on the right track,Ive seen people put the shocks from a lst on their savage to get it a lil bit lower and you save a bit of weight because you only need 4.

The .46 isnt much of a race engine, due to it's rpm range, and the torque tends to overwhelm the truck coming out of the corners. The difference between a basher and racer is the shock configuration, (most racers use either rock concepts or nova towers and 1/8 buggy rear shocks, 1 per wheel), the center of gravity (LCG TVP's), Balance (Mid tank, battery relocation), and above all else, weight (no bling, nothing unnecessary on the truck regardless of how small it is, no reverse)

If you want to race, ditch the .46, those are not for racing, get yourself a OS .30, or a Axial .28 and you will have a better RPM range. I have seen a Wasp .26 whip a HB .46 in a drag race. It isn't about engine size, it's about revs and gearing. Hope this answers your question.

big time you are on the right track,Ive seen people put the shocks from a lst on their savage to get it a lil bit lower and you save a bit of weight because you only need 4.

1 LST shock weighs more than 4 savage shocks lol. I actually weighed mine:) 1\8 buggy shocks are the way to go.

The .46 isnt much of a race engine, due to it's rpm range, and the torque tends to overwhelm the truck coming out of the corners. The difference between a basher and racer is the shock configuration, (most racers use either rock concepts or nova towers and 1/8 buggy rear shocks, 1 per wheel), the center of gravity (LCG TVP's), Balance (Mid tank, battery relocation), and above all else, weight (no bling, nothing unnecessary on the truck regardless of how small it is, no reverse)

If you want to race, ditch the .46, those are not for racing, get yourself a OS .30, or a Axial .28 and you will have a better RPM range. I have seen a Wasp .26 whip a HB .46 in a drag race. It isn't about engine size, it's about revs and gearing. Hope this answers your question.

never even thought of RPM range :newb: ...just assumed bigger is better...

well, our local tracks have no real straight-aways to speak of...and my buddy (the one who jokingly bad-mouths Savages) never even hits 2nd gear throughout the course...so maybe the low-end torque will help to gain speed in the short straights? with the right gearing?

in that regard, I guess the 3 speed tranny won't do me alot of good either, since the straights aren't long enough to hit speed...

besides, technically, i'm making 2 complete rigs...well, making one, and modding the other...I'll just leave the .46 for the all alloy monster, and build my 25 up to race...

what's the difference between 1/8 buggy shocks and the ones on my savage?:newb:

The buggy shocks are shorter, heavier duty and tunable. You need Nova or rock concepts towers to run them though.

I highly recommend against the .46, even as a bashing motor. You arent really going to see a big difference in performance, and they are very tempermental. That is why so few people run them. They are torquey, but arent worth it. If you havn't bought it yet, I would advise against it. Get a OS .30 or an Axial .28 or Axial .32 if you want big power. That will smoke the .46 hands down.

As for the alloy parts, they are real nice for a shelf queen, but they bend/break alot easier than you think. I made that expensive mistake myself, and I think everyone on here will agree that plastic parts are stronger because when they flex, they flex back into place versus bending and staying bent or cracking. I am a machinist, and I always tell people not to run aluminum. If youre building a shelf queen that will never be run, go for it.

well, as for the .46 it was a deal I couldn't pass up...$45 shipped to my door (although it needs a little work)...so that's a moot point...

and I understand the properties of aluminum more than most, as I work as Quality Assurance at a world class precision machine shop...maybe it will turn into a shelf queen...maybe not...

i DO appreciate the warning, but if it's an expensive mistake, then it's one I'm already in the process of making LOL

well, as i said, it needs work...apparently the guy i got it from was able to run it enough to wear it out a bit...it's lacking compression, and probably needs a new piston and sleeve...

get some lowered chassis plates (tvp's), i have carbon fibre ones which helps alot, and with the fastlane machine buggy shock towers you can lower the truck right down so that it sits level with the ground. I noticed that my truck now no longer rolls over through corners.

as for beating a revo, unless your friend is much worse of a driver than you, it is very hard to do with a savage, especially if the revo has been set up for racing also

Latest posts

Members online

Back