What am I doing wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WJC

OK guys I know I posted something like this at one time or another. Running my K4.6 in my savage. Can't get it to stay at idle it always dies when I come in off a WOP. Also doesn't want to say running when I stop I always have to be on the gas a little even when it's warmed up. If I turn the idle up a little she over heats. I tried to tune it today but again each time I lean out the LSN and bring my idle down she will stall out. If I bring my LSN in a little and adjust my carb the idle is to fast and she over heats. Can't figure it out. I'll try tomorrow:( Maybe bring it back to factory settings and start over again. GOD hate doing that! Any suggestions guys maybe someone else can tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong. Glow plug is good, fresh fuel, Starts right up, just can't get this tune right lately. Can't find that sweet spot anymore:stressed:

It's possible you have a air leak. Have you ever sealed your engine?

i had the same with my k4.6 and found it was passed it days as someone said to me that when you have finished a run pull the plug out and turn engine to bdc so as it cools it don't kill the piston i mean if you have it at tdc as it cools the piston takes shape to the sleeve and i have done this with my new mill and i was having the same problems you are going though now sorry to be the person with bad news

i found that hpi mills ant all that as i had a hpi thropy and endded up binning the mill from hpi after about 3 weeks one of the best engines i have ever spent money on and that was my picco and a lrp and i have a lrp .36 in mine at the moment

however going on from this i found if your pulling a lot of wight then you need to run a little richer at the bottom end so as you come off the power and you go back on it have the fuel to pull it out the corner because as a 2 stroke you use all the fuel in the crank from going hi speed at top end so you need to help it to recover

hope this helps keep us up dated

Could be. I did switch from my pull start to a rotor start. Pull start broke. Might be going back real soon. I'll have to take out the engine and take a look

Thanks for the info. I always put my piston at BDC every time I shut the truck off after a run. Even if she stalls out on me, before I bring the truck back to start it I'll rotate the flywheel so the piston is at BDC.

sounds symptomatic of an air leak, seal up the backplate and run it again 295 aint that awful hot so I wouldnt worry much about that.....

I thought u can only go to about 260 in temp, but ur saying 295 is not that bad, u learn something new every day also on the temp question what is a good all round temp as mine gets to 185 on an warm day and 225 on and hot day I think the highest it ever been is 238 and that wasabi really hot day and with a r5 cold plug

I thought u can only go to about 260 in temp, but ur saying 295 is not that bad, u learn something new every day also on the temp question what is a good all round temp as mine gets to 185 on an warm day and 225 on and hot day I think the highest it ever been is 238 and that wasabi really hot day and with a r5 cold plug

I'd say your fine. What type of surface are you running on? When I had my Savage tuned right my temps were about the same. Never got above 250 on grass temps would be right around 225 all day. I have read time and time again not to worry about temps. Just good smoke, performance and sound. But I think you are tuned correctly. Your temps seem fine.

My k4.6 and my 2 axial .28 engines which are all basically the same motor liked to run around 260 all day and spiking up to 290 on a long high speed pass in grass. They still made good smoke and ran great up to about 9 gallons of fuel. Then they just started to get weak.

My k4.6 and my 2 axial .28 engines which are all basically the same motor liked to run around 260 all day and spiking up to 290 on a long high speed pass in grass. They still made good smoke and ran great up to about 9 gallons of fuel. Then they just started to get weak.

Ok perhaps I'm not that far off then. Forgot to mention I was in grass when my temps shot up. Same thing long high speed pass temps were up.

sounds pretty normal to me, long as ya have good smoke and the throttle response is good just run it and have fun. too many peeps try to tune to a certian temp and worry too much , this hobby is about havin fun not constant tuning and fiddling......

sounds pretty normal to me, long as ya have good smoke and the throttle response is good just run it and have fun. too many peeps try to tune to a certian temp and worry too much , this hobby is about havin fun not constant tuning and fiddling......

Yes I agree with you. I have to stop checking my temps. I never did before until someone at the hobby shop said "you have to check your temps, don't let your motor run too hot", I got it in my head and now I should just use it as a guide for breaking the engine in and then just as a guide. But anyway, I fixed her up today. I WAS WAY TO LEAN on both the LSN and HSN. Retuned and runs great. Thanks guys. I'm not going to keep checking my temps again.

best thing u can do man i am a sled mechanic dirt bikes quaads and we set the carbs to the ear not to the temps they put out then u drive them and set them again takes time to gain the skills to do it but well worth tuning everytime u go out

I have an XTM .28 in my MMT it is about 18 pounds ready to go, it will run most days about 260 or so, I aint touched the needles in quite awhile, always makes good power and transitions well to full speed, I also do watch the temps but don't rely on the temp solely for how I tune once ya find that sweet spot ya hardly ever gotta fiddle much with em... maybe is me but I can just tell by the sound it makes, prolly caz I been doin it so long...But i do love the sound of a well tuned and running small engine....

My mistake was I retuned for the summer months. Once the temps and humidity dropped I had to retune. Had a brain fart. Couldn't understand why I was so off. Now I know. think I'll be good now

That's good to hear that I'm doing something right for a change lol so as long as it runs got good smoke from her and I can run it till the tank is nearly empty then I'm good that put my mine to rest

That's good to hear that I'm doing something right for a change lol so as long as it runs got good smoke from her and I can run it till the tank is nearly empty then I'm good that put my mine to rest

Ya dude don't get hung up on temps like I did. Can't believe that I got sucked into the whole temp thing. Mi mean a temp gun is good to have for break in and to check to see where the motor seems happest running. But other then that if she's running fine got good smoke sound and power don't look at the temps. My first savage .25 lasted 10 plus gallons and I never once checked the temps EVER. So forget temps and have fun. thats what I'm gonna do from now on :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back