What a morning!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300m

So this morning i didnt crawl into bed until right around 4am, my Fiance got up around 5 or 5:30 I'm guessing.

Well i get a phone call just shy of 6:30, her car has broke down on the interstate about 45 minutes away on her way to work. cornfused
So i have her check a couple of things, everything is ok. Car wont start, it shut down while cruising at around 70mph with cruise control on.
She said her oil light came on and the check engine light came on.
Car is a 2002 Oldsmobile Alero with the 2.2L ecotec.
So i made it to where she was broke down at, checked the car out, has got oil and fuel pressure. Tried cranking it and its not good. Definitely something within the valvetrain.
So i grab the tow strap and hook her up to my car and tow her into the town she works in, only about 6 miles. We get there and I pull into a BP, we park the car. I take her to work, i come home and grab my truck and trailer and off i go.
I pick the car up, bring it back and pull off the valve cover.
motor is trashed! :beforeme:
We've been on borrowed time for a little while now with this motor.

2011-03-23_12-06-18_954.jpg

2011-03-23_14-50-02_883.jpg

2011-03-23_14-50-16_608.jpg

234k on that bad boy, hardly any sludge at all beneath the valve cover. I was impressed.:40:

Timing chain, valves and the top of the pistons.

And who knows if any of the connecting rods are bent.

wow!! your supposed to go to work to make money not spend it!! lol hopefully it doesnt set ya back to much!!!

Yeah motor is done. Scrap it lol .....I never worked on a four with that car I know the six is a pain ok the ###

Ive got another motor thats been waiting on this to happen. LOL

Everything is fine, just an inconvenience.

That gen of GM 4 cylinder may not have had much in the way of power, but they were as reliable as an old Timex and ran on a trickle of gas. Thinking of picking up a used Alero I4 as my next DD so I can put more money into a project car.

Same thing happen to my Dad he got on highway 401 merged into the fastlane and all of a sudden lost speed the car stalled and he coasted onto the off ramp and into a gas station (he was going a good 120 km/h) and he popped the hood took off the cap and the timing belt was gone LOL. He called up his buddy at the auto shop they wanted $400 for a new timing belt plus they wanted to replace all the gaskets along the way. He said screw got it towed home and bought a 2002 Chevy Impala LS with 127K km.

That gen of GM 4 cylinder may not have had much in the way of power, but they were as reliable as an old Timex and ran on a trickle of gas. Thinking of picking up a used Alero I4 as my next DD so I can put more money into a project car.

I highly recommend it.
Ive owned 3 cars with this same motor and all 3 have seen over 220k.
One of them had 327k on the odometer when i got rid of it.

And also, this motor is repairable I'm finding out.
I could spend $200-$300 for a new timing chain kit and have it running.
These motors are interference motors. They Valves and Pistons do not come in contact once an accident like this occurs.

So i can reset the timing, install a new timing chain and be good to go.
But with as many miles as its got already, I'm not going to even think about repairing it.

Going up this weekend to clean out the shop and make room for the 2 cars so i can begin the swap.
Probably will start doing the swap during the beginning of next week, maybe on Sunday.

This is one reason I went with a JP Rollmaster timing chain when I cammed my Buick... stock GM timing chains are pretty tough, and more durable than any belt, but they can and do wear out and fatigue.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back