Well...The project begins

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300m

Ive been out of rc for about 4 years now.

Bout this roller to get back into the swing of things.

Here's what i bought,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160509040286&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Here it is on our floor,

001-3.jpg

Eeek
Anyone notice anything?

So there it is, I'm starting out from ground zero with this truck.
Its getting a complete rebuild.
haven't decided on the Axial .28rr, LRP .28, LRP .30 or the 5.9 in the XL truck.

ok the K5.9 is a turd its a insult to savages! I had the LRP.28 in my racer and it haulled butt. You cant go wrong with that one. And if I'm not mistaken the axial .28 is the same as the K4.6 internals so it wont be much of a upgrade it will be just like a stock motor in a savage.

You should think about buying some BP diffs if you decide to go with the LRP.28 or .30

BP?

Remember, ive never owned a Savage.
I built one and maintained one for a friend but was never given the chance of owning one and and doing anything to it.

So whos making the BP diffs?
I was thinking of using the XL diffs.

BP stands for bullet proof diffs here is a link to them http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Raci...IFF-BEVEL-GEAR-29T-9T-SET-102692-p-17874.html

You may also want to get New TVPs for your truck. I would go with a Platinum RC Carbon fiber TVPs or FLM Tvps

You will also need a tranny. I liked my 3speed but its a personal choice and depends on how and where you drive your truck

Also i would suggest a mid tank for your truck when you get new TVPs

Down the line you may also want to get Racing Suspension Conversion (RSC) here is a link to that http://www.tcscrawlers.com/HPI-Savage-Suspension-Conversion-Set-87245-p-17706.html

Yeah I'm going to pick up some stock X tvps, Might pick up the Newera X tvps.

A 3 speed is going in without doubt.

Can i run those ring and pinions gears with my stock diff cups?
I was thinking of going with aluminum cups.

u will have to upgrade tot hte x styler diffs to use x tvps and so yes and yes on the alunim diff cups u have to use them or else u will be killing gears i recomand an lrp .30 it almost whellys my buddys truggy

i have some stock parts I'm taking out on my savage X since I'm converting 1 of my truck to flux

pm'd me if you are interested...comes with an X engine to get you started

u will have to upgrade tot hte x styler diffs to use x tvps and so yes and yes on the alunim diff cups u have to use them or else u will be killing gears i recomand an lrp .30 it almost whellys my buddys truggy

Can i use the X TVP's with the XL diffs and buk heads?

i have some stock parts I'm taking out on my savage X since I'm converting 1 of my truck to flux

pm'd me if you are interested...comes with an X engine to get you started

Definitely interested thanks for the PM

Yeah ive been checking them out.
Looking at the Newera tvps as well.

u will have to upgrade tot hte x styler diffs to use x tvps and so yes

The .21, .25, X, XL Tvp's and bulkheads are all interchangeable. Only difference on the .21-.25 to X-XL bulkheads is the screw to bolt on the Tvp's is swapped from top to bottom, but the holes line up. Just the X style bulks are nicer for easy access to the diffs.

If you are planning on changing everything over to X or XL style parts then you might want to throw it back on Ebay and buy a X roller, it will save you some cash in the long run.

I'm not worried about what it is going to cost.
I'm already aware of that stuff.

I'm not sure on this, so maybe someone can help me out here.

Difference between the X and XL's suspension? A-arms different or anything?

The X and Xl arms are the same (hpi85238)

They do use different dogbones
--X (hpi86058)
--XL (hpi86246) Super heavy duty

Different cups on the diff
--X (hpi86278)
--Xl (hpi86248) Super heavy duty

Different axles
--X (hpi86065)
--Xl (hpi86249) Super heavy duty. These are also longer which will give you a wider stance. If you want a regular stance then you will need to use the Flux axles (hpi86928)

Thanks a bunch!!

I'm kind of in the same boat, got a deal on A roller, I was going to part it out and decided I want to build it, though I don't think mine is quite as bad.

I'm in the same boat, got a good deal on a roller and had intentions of parting it out but I keep hearing such good reviews I decided to build it, though I think mine is in just a lil bit better shape

My roller is in great shape.
The TVP's were repairable. They are straight now.

Everything else is in top notch shape.
haven't got into the diffs yet though.

Mine has good and bad, I haven't had one of these trucks in forever but thought I'd fix this one, everyone says its better then the t maxx I'm hoping it pleases me, my t maxx is now in need of a rebuild anyways.

Ures looks pretty clean,I happy I found one fairly complete on such a good deal I'm going to take this one apart and clean it up as I fix it luckily I don't need too much.

lol Get rid of the maxx.
Horrible truck when compared to a savage. Stock vs stock

Haha I doubt I get rid of it, keep it around for buddies if the savage is as good as they say, I had one before but it had a weak motor so I got rid of it two weeks later, planning on keeping this one.

Have got a set of XL diffs and bulkheads on the way.

Starting to get a little pile of parts now.

Lucky you, I picked up hexs, pins, clutch springs, and a clutch bell today

Somebody snoozed on a great deal on a XL diff with Bulkheads and shock tower.
Sold on ebay for $25, ended while i was at work.

Somebody snoozed on a great deal on a XL diff with Bulkheads and shock tower.
Sold on ebay for $25, ended while i was at work.

Were they bp or nitro diffs? The only xl's with bp diffs are the xl+2.4ghz radio. Most ebay auctions don't specify this and the sellers don't even know the difference

Yes sir

I picked up a diff and bulkheads off ebay for $22 shipped a few days ago and the ad says they are the BP diffs

Latest posts

Members online

Back