wasp help !!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ive got a savy with all aftermkt parts except for the arms & they are still stock......aint broke one yet.......i got a wasp 28......broke it in exactly as the instructions called for and have run about 1/4 gallon of hpi 20% through it......i kept the engine temp at 245 to 250F........still tight with lots of compression..........running an OS turbo p7 plug which is a medium........the problem is that i caint get it to run now.......ive found no air leaks, no bad bearings, the clutch shoes & springs are fine (matterfact new onfa 3 shoe clutch), flywheel is on tight, the nut &the collet, even a new plug..........i prime the engine, start it with the pullstart, and it will idle ok.......but.............when i give it any throttle the darn thing just flat out dies and sudden too........caint be the spacing between the spur gear & clutchbell either cause i set the mesh with a paper strip and the slipper clutch is new & adjusted so it slips when i turn it hard by hand.........somebody help me out here before i get the hammer & fix this engine real good..........ive run out of ideas & things too look for........

sounds like the low speed setting on the carb is way too lean. when my truck was doing the same thing, I just reset the carb to the factory settings, and all was better. I just had to tweak it a little bit, and now the truck is just amazing now. now I have the k4.6 engine, and not the wasp, but tuning is pretty much the same.

Steve Z

savage 25, 3 speed, tuned pipe, k4.6 engine

revo 2.5r, with the trx 3.3 engine

associated mgt 4.60se, xtm 24.7 pro engine

xtm mammoth st, mach 427 engine

whats the difference between the k4.6 engine & the wasp 28 ? who is it made by ? just curious & like learning about different engines other than what i allready have.......ill reset the carb this weekend & see what happens..........what if it still don't work ?

Last edited by a moderator:
the k4.6 is an hpi engine, and is included in the ss4.6 savage kit, and is sold as an upgrade for the savage. advertise hp is 2.9, whick is less than the wasp, but it it still a very good engine. a local guy here tonight was having problems with his wasp, and my 4.6 ran circles around him. It's a better engine, less problems, easier to tune, and way more reliable.

i been thinking about just puting a OS 46 rc plane engine in its place.........did it with my revo before & it ran like a cat set on fire with gassoline.........did have to put a cooling fan in and rig up a bumpstart for it.......

the wasp .28 is runing just like they do. i have one i used to try to run. it would do the same thing. it also will run over 300 degrees nomatter what i did to it. the wasp.28 and the diablo are the same engine just diffrent paint job.the problem is the front bearing houusing leaks and when the engine gets warmed up the block cracks open up and lean out. they have bad air leaks , and mine wouldent ever run right nomatter what i did to it.they can be a pain and iv never heard of one that got sealed or ever ran like it is supposed to. that was the only engine i could never fix or seal up properly. so its in its box and i was supposed to send it to orion for replacement but i didnt think it was worth it since i got the sts engine.mine would run ok til the block got hot or warmed up then it would go way lean. from what iv seen some r worse than others and it might be sealed when you do a leak check but under pressure [while its running] it is leaning out thats what is probally changing your settings. good luck trying to solve it, keep in mind that the blocks leak and go from there on the tuning.

Last edited by a moderator:
finaly got it goin today...........i had to lean the high about 2 rounds....running at 252 now so i gota back it off just a hair.......evedently some idiot messed with my needles when i wasnt lookin or either the glowplug change did it.......i switched from a cold plug to a medium OS p7......

Latest posts

Members online

Back