WARNING: Make sure you know what battery you have before you turn that charger on!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon

this is what happens when a battery manufacture puts the wrong label on the battery and the lhs doesnt notice... and sells to a newb that doesn't know better

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

DSC02567.jpg

DSC02566.jpg

The battery used in the truck was sold as a 2s 5200 venom LiPo... SO that's what the kid thought he was getting, he charged her up and proceeded to race.... half way thru all you see is a huge smoke cloud coming from his truck, he quickly grabs it and starts running outside with it when half way to the doof POOF a 2ft fire ball ingulfs the kids hand.... he then gets it outside and throws snow on it to put the flames out.
he left the battery outside for a few hrs incase something else would happen, well after about 3 hrs he went and got it i looked at it and to my surprise there were actually 3 cells in the pack.... this WAS NOT AT 2S battery!!! the kid was charging it as a 2s battery funny thing is the balance lead on the pack was also for a 2s pack...
since he was only charging 2 cells during the second race of the night that 3rd cell went under voltage and went up in smoke....

just goes to show you, make sure you know exactly what you are buying and have in your hands before you even turn that charger on... these battery's are very dangerous in the wrong hands, however do a little research/reading and just be carefull with them and you will have a set of reliable batterys.

good thread ba.

ba also tole us in shout that the kid did get burns as a result of this.

if your truck starts to go up in flames, throw dirt, water, extinguisher on it, or break out the marshmallows & enjoy..........don't pick it up.

well I'm glad he's ok,could have been alot worse I'm guessing but still thats scary.........

Just another reason to run nitro, never seen an engine just burst into flames :lmao:

Seriously though, he's lucky it wasn't worse. Great warning!

HUH, never heard of a LiPo going up in smoke because of over discharge or 2 low of voltage.

As far as I know they only explode due to over charge or puncture. They only explode when the chemicals get mixed with oxygen as far as I know.

To bad for the loss but glad the kid is OK. You must always think MY Safety first.

If the pack was actually mis-marked and you can prove it, id be heading straight to the manufacturer for that.

the 2 kids purchased 3 total all venom packs... they looked funny to me as they are fairly large to be 2s packs but that's what they are said to be with a 2s lead on it... well the one that blew is a 3s pack, the kid (his friend verified) said they bought all 2s packs... i will never know what that sticker said on that pack but from what the 2 other battery's were i can "assume" that's what that other pack was aswel.

I'm going to the track tonight, if the kids there ill verify everything.

Really good to know he's ok.. Really sucks to see this kind of stuff b/c of someone not doing their job right.

Wow! I'm glad the kid's okay...

But how the heck would a 3s pack end up with a 2s balance plug? I can't be the only one wondering this...

That sounds like a lawsuit to me.
exactly and it will only get worse,with the popularity of elec, going out the roof,and the demand for cheaper LiPo's, has everyone shaking there fist, QC will be a after thought.manufacters must be held accountable, before it turns into ,an all out. disaster.

exactly and it will only get worse,with the popularity of elec, going out the roof,and the demand for cheaper LiPo's, has everyone shaking there fist, QC will be a after thought.manufacters must be held accountable, before it turns into ,an all out. disaster.

good point but on this end of it, i blame the guy buyin the packs more than the guy making them.

of all the LiPo threads ive read about 95% of peeps buying packs go for the cheap garbage and justify it by saying "its a great pack for the money." this type of LiPo shopping creates a huge market for sub-par garbage.

$35 LiPo is gonna cost about $1 (or less) to manufacture in China; that 'great price' has to come from somewhere.

No matter what the topic, quality products cost more to manufacture.

if its safety you want along with LiPo power, then educate yourself & spend a few more bucks on SMC or Hyperion packs & stop messing with garbage. theyre not safe.

Last edited by a moderator:
good point but on this end of it, i blame the guy buyin the packs more than the guy making them.

of all the LiPo threads ive read about 95% of peeps buying packs go for the cheap garbage and justify it by saying "its a great pack for the money." this type of LiPo shopping creates a huge market for sub-par garbage.

$35 LiPo is gonna cost about $1 (or less) to manufacture in China; that 'great price' has to come from somewhere.

No matter what the topic, quality products cost more to manufacture.

if its safety you want along with LiPo power, then educate yourself & spend a few more bucks on SMC or Hyperion packs & stop messing with garbage.

I fully agree with frddyj. You get what you pay for. If you buy garbage you get garbage. You really should just suck it up and and spend the money on good packs. Why risk damage to your 1000 dollar investment.

I fully agree with frddyj. You get what you pay for. If you buy garbage you get garbage. You really should just suck it up and and spend the money on good packs. Why risk damage to your 1000 dollar investment.
I totally agree,and ppl should educate there selves, before attempting to charge or run there choosen elec ride. but fact of the matter is,most noobs will figure, hey a battery is a battery,and opt for the cheaper pack.and won't bother educating themselves,till after the fact.. i see everyones point, i just hate to see ppl get hurt, and as long as theres a demand, allot of subpar companies, will build a cheaper pack, at the cost of the consumer.and till someone puts the hammer down on them ,it won't get any better..peace

ok so i got the real story behind this thing.
it was in fact a 4cell battery (one was completely obliterated) they were ran in parallel so it would double the MAH but keep it at a 2s battery voltage.
so i guess in the end it was just a freak thing, but the kid contacted venom and they might be helping the kid out a little on a new truck etc, they are just waiting on the reply back.
CS gave the case to someone higher up in authority considering the circumstances of where this happened.
ill know more next friday whether they are going to give him any compensation.

Slight mistake there Baddasz. They were run in parallel, 2S2P.

Methinks the kid got a defective (duh) pack where one of the paralleled cells wasn't matched properly. A dude I know has links to a batt manufacturer in China. According to his contacts, out of 100 cells made, maybe only 2-3 are matched well enough for reliable use in parallel packs.

When you charge a parallel pack, you have no control over whether or not the cells in parallel charge up at the same rate or not. You could potentially end up with one cell at 8.2V and the other at 8.6 if you get a dud. 8.6V = POP!...

Point is.. If you MUST run parallel, run 2 seperate series packs with external parallel wiring so you can balance each cell. In a flux you could run say 4S or 5S each side and change the ESC harness to a parallel one.

I do have a pair of 8000mah 2S2P packs from a Chinese manufacturer. They're great, built with matched cells and aren't exactly el cheapo @$110 each. I nevertherless avoid charging them to more than 90% TCS to avoid overcharging.

DF

Edit: btw now that it seems Hyperion is abandoning its 5500 and 6500mah product lines due to IATA regulations, I am looking to setting up my truck to run dual 3300/4200mah 4S/5S packs in parallel. Is really sad. The 6500mah packs are the largest series-only packs I've come across on the market with uber low resistance.

I'm always confusing the two :duh:
i should know this as its part of my trade...

Edit: btw now that it seems Hyperion is abandoning its 5500 and 6500mah product lines due to IATA regulations, The 6500mah packs are the largest series-only packs I've come across on the market with uber low resistance.

this is not good news. got any links to this DF?

wanna see what else they got to say. hopefully keeping 5000 at least

this is not good news. got any links to this DF?

wanna see what else they got to say. hopefully keeping 5000 at least

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/G3-Specs-EN.pdf

Look right at the end.

They will be sticking with 5400mah packs max. Looks like 6S packs will also be a nono. Their limits are <20Wh per cell and <100wh per pack. 5S 5400 will be the largest pack they can make.

DF

Members online

No members online now.
Back