Want a Milling Machine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-Hate-Traxxas

Ok so I really want a milling machine but don't have a ton of dough to buy one so my limit is some where around 300 and looking at getting it by mid summer so like 3 months from now. Can you guys kinda point me in the right direction as of what would be best for my price. I know 300 might be kinda low but if need be more I might cough up some more. So let me know what you guys use. One more question can you cut carbon fiber on these or what do you use to cut carbon fiber??

lol we got two Bridgeport's with J heads for 500... Tables had never been moved as they were set in a factory to make one part of a process. (LIKE NEW).. But as far as cnc stuff goes Pffft I have no clue and or advice my man good luck!

Making some custom tvps some tank plate just some random parts here and there.

He's the man who would know ^^^

lol i know nothing.....

Deals on something like a Bridgeport Series 1 can be found, but you really have to look for them..

when the economy goes bad alot of small machine shops go out of buisness and deals can be found..

I completely agree with Sunk. These cheep mills are inaccurate. most will not have readouts and will be sloppy. But like he also said they will work for general stuff that don't need to be very accurate.

Alright cause I would love to have a mill around just to do some odd and end parts nothing major. Do they cut carbon fiber also?

They will probably cut it but remember CF is very hard to cut. Take the correct cutters and lots of RPM, I cut at 17,000 and slow speeds. Not going to give up what cutters I'm using though, LOL.

Will it cut carbon fiber ok though cause you have to cut slow but can a milling machine do this with out it getting dangerous?

one thing to remember no matter what machine you buy, is that the cost of tooling and fixtures can sometimes be more than the machine itself.just something to consider.

Well I was looking around in our shop in town (It is where we keep all of are fish saneing stuff) and found pretty much everything but a milling machine like drill press, chop saw, grinder, so what I might do is just pick up a good jigsaw with some metal blades and do that what do you guys think? I would be a lot cheaper.

sure that would be a start ,low investment plus lack of expensive tools makes you more creative.Just be careful always wear eye protection and watch those fingers.post pics on your work.:jamout:

Yeah It would be nice then if I like what I am doing and want to more more indepth I could get a mill no sense in buying a $300+ machine for a few parts.

Yeah I'll pick up a nice jig saw with some blades one of these days.

Thanks for the help guys!

no you should be ok just remember let the blade do the work.also a couple of good quality hand files or dremel wouldnt hurt either.i've been a tool and die maker for 25 yrs and my advice is make sure you have a plan and be patient and enjoy the building.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back