Vrooms midtank Savage build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregonmud

I decided to start with an FLM base and build from there.

28ktv2f.jpg

21kmmty.jpg

I got the Mugen 145cc tank because I could leave the steering servo in the stock location and use the stock radio box to mount the tank in. It made it much less work for a first attempt at a midtank. I would recommend this rout for someone who is new to moding the Savage. You can always change it later if you want to.

1z5lwn4.jpg

So I had to relocate my battery first and with the help of a rush batterb box mount and the Rush battery box that was a simple task

352g84x.jpg

Tank all mounted. So that left some other stuff to relocate still to the new radio box. The receiver, power switch and charge jack went into the Radio Shack project enclosure very nicely and it lookes nice too. But fuel makes it brittle so replace it after a few months before it comes off on its own. For $2.50 its a cheap part to replace. The RPM receiver box is a better plastic but its much smaller and you have to plan where stuff will fit a little more.

ritc8i.jpg

The throttle servo was next to move. The linkage was tricky but if you stare at it long enough it will come to you how to bend it and get it all to work smoothly. I messed with mine for days before it finally all worked right and I was totally happy with it.

2qcp6kx.jpg

Than just clean the wires up a little making sure they are not too close to the ground or any moving parts. I used automotive wire casing to protect the wires and make the whole thing look a little more professional.

2954g1h.jpg

All done for now. I know it was a quick walk through but if anyone needs more info or more pics just let me know. I have hundreds. lol :jamout:

332m5fr.jpg

31431o3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks great man .. I like how you can still use the stock radio box .. And leave the steering servo in the stock location .. Thanks Jeremy

Looks great man .. I like how you can still use the stock radio box .. And leave the steering servo in the stock location .. Thanks Jeremy
Thats what sold me on this setup for sure.

Thanks guys. I'm glad you like it. I'm really happy I did it and it has been a great truck for racing with. Just as tough as any Savage but handles the track better than most.

man your truck just keeps looking better and better great work!!! i never get tired of looking at that truck!!

That is a fantastic midtank mod for those not wishing to spend too much money. Rep+ for the great savage!

nice and clean. I like the wire loom idea. I think that's a clean look + wire protection. darn good work.

hey oregonmud what engine is that in the pic?

Where can I get the linkage rods that you used for your brake setup? A part # would be awesome. Thanks!
They are Dubro rod and clevis sets. They are for planes. I can get diameters and part #s for them next time I go to the hobby shop.

They are Dubro rod and clevis sets. They are for planes. I can get diameters and part #s for them next time I go to the hobby shop.

Thanks, but no need. I saw the "DB" on them so I figured they must be Dubro. I found them on Towers site after a little searching.

Thank you. I have a lot of blood, sweat and tears ( + a little $ ) into her. It was lots of fun to build, I would like to do another one. But my girlfriend would kill me. lol

That was an SH .28 that I had nothing but problems with.:duh:

ooh didnt want to hear that lol thats the engine I'm trying now! lol was in my truggy but the truggy slammed a curb so figured it has to have a bit more torque then the 4.1 that was in my x so threw it in my savy!!!

I just had tuning problems with it. It would run slobering rich to screaming lean with just small turns of the needles.
I traded it to a site member for a set of used Nubz tires. He ran it for a while but I'm not sure if he ever got it tuned perfectly. It always sounded a bit lean on his videos. But maybe thats just the way those engines sound.
If you ran it in your truggy then it should be fine in the Savage. Mine never worked right, not from tank one. Good luck.

Yes they are. They have a nice small rim and firm inserts for a lower CG and good grip without tipping in corners. I have purchased and ran several sets since and they work very well on tracks that are well packed or clay.

For looser stuff I like to run Proline Mulchers.

Yes they are. They have a nice small rim and firm inserts for a lower CG and good grip without tipping in corners. I have purchased and ran several sets since and they work very well on tracks that are well packed or clay.

For looser stuff I like to run Proline Mulchers.

Good stuff right here .... Hy Jeremy nice to see yea around !

How it going Bank buddy! Just putting around the forums. I have been flying my planes a lot lately actually.

LiPo in the winter and nitro in the summer is my MO. LOL

Summer is almost here though so its time to dust the old race Savage off again. I wanted to go brushless on it this year but my new Spektrum DX6i took my upgrade money.

Oh well. One more year of racing nitro and I'm converting over. I will still run nitro in my basher though. Bashing without the smoke/noise of nitro just wouldn't be the same.

How it going Bank buddy! Just putting around the forums. I have been flying my planes a lot lately actually.

LiPo in the winter and nitro in the summer is my MO. LOL

Summer is almost here though so its time to dust the old race Savage off again. I wanted to go brushless on it this year but my new Spektrum DX6i took my upgrade money.

Oh well. One more year of racing nitro and I'm converting over. I will still run nitro in my basher though. Bashing without the smoke/noise of nitro just wouldn't be the same.

lol I hear yea there. I will be building a BL truck over the next month. Check the threads and don't be a stranger! You still have my home # ? Ill shoot you a PM with all my info I need yours too. I have new phones all around. House # is unchanged though. your # was in a cell I destroyed in a fit of rage... (I'm human) Hate to clutter your thread with :blah blah:

The rear of the tank ended up lining up perfectly with one of the servo mounts inside the box so I left that to mount the rear of the tank to. The front of the tank ends in the battery compartment so there is nothing to mount it to in there. So you have to drill a small hole in the bottom of the box and run a screw up from the bottom side.

Then you add a screw to the servo mount and screw both of those screws into a couple tank stand offs and its all done. Once opon a time I had more pictures of the box without the tank in it so you could see exactly what I removed from it but those pictures were lost a while back.

If I wasnt clear or if you need more info feel free to ask any questions you need to.

sweet savage ...part numbers for battery box and receiver box .... what shock are those ..is that a kit ?

Latest posts

Members online

Back