Upgrading Radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smeyers2

Good Afternoon All !!!!
Just got new Savage... looking to upgrade AM radio to FM. Don't need anything fancy.. Looking to spend up to $200. Have been looking in catalogs and haven't a clue as to what I might need/and or like. This all started when I started researching a high torgue steering servo! Are the digital servos worth it.. it so I would need a digital radio. Please help... Clueless in Jersey.

you don't need a digtial radio for digital servo's but you do need a radio which will give you end point adjustment (epa) otherwise you will burn the digital servos out in an instant. digital servo's are good if you can notice the extra holding ability and recentering ability they give you but not nescesary imo

IMO I would just watch eBay for a Spektrum under 200 bucks. I have had nothing but good luck with mine, and you shouldn't have any interference problems like you can with others. I had a lot of trouble with my FM, and I haven't had a problem since I switched to the Spektrum.

you can find Spektrums for under $200 any day of the week on eBay...good call...

I just picked up a Spektrum 3ch at my LHS for 249 with a second receiver and didnt even realize it has a built in failsafe until i went into the progamming, it was well worth it.

Thanks For The Replys !

I'll keep an eye out for the Specktrum... Just for giggles where do you usually put the 5 cell humpack on a Savage? If I am correct that is the size of 5 "C" size batterys ??? Thanks In Advance, Have a Great Night.

it 5 2/3AF size cells in a savage hump pack. goes exacly where the 4 battery holder goes.

or you can strap any size of battery pack to anyplace on the truck

The batteries in the hump pack are actually quite a bit smaller than "C" size - it will fairly easily fit right inside the radio box (assuming you're running with a stock radio box). And if you go with the Spektrum, the receiver is smaller than a standard one, so it'll fit even easier. That's what I'm running - the hump pack battery with the Spektrum radio setup - you can't go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks All

Thanks all... I followed your advice and just ordered a Spektrum DX30. Should have it by Friday and will be up and running Sat. I appreciate all your thoughts and ideas. Cheers !

Latest posts

Members online

Back