Upgrades and custom parts on my savage xs!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbiexps

Hi ehere I'll py thread of my xs.
I'll try to include as many pics as possible :)
I've had the truck for a few months, probably run about 30 packs thru it. It's needed some maintenance over that time, mainly Axel issues. I'll put another post up about axels (in this thread)
Love the truck to bits lol. It's out of action now due to a cooked esc. I figured now would be the best time to get some upgrades in :-D

Parts I've ordered:
Cv axels (4)
Cv drive shafts (2)
Castle sidewinder sct combo (3800kv)
Proline power stroke shocks (6063-01)
New body (savage xs)
Bearing kit (fast eddies)
And some spares.

I've begun to make an external roll cage, using my old body as a template. It's not mega flash but it should help keep my new body looking good.

14497509787_15e579a999_z.jpg

Last edited:
This post about how I have found the truck in the months I've had it:
I drive this as a basher, and I beat up on it a bit! It takes heaps of beatings, such as;
Landing square on its roof from 15ft
Landing on concrete, on one tire, from 10ft, after exiting a skate park bowl.
Driving flat out, hitting a small jump and slamming into the next jump roof first
Not one of those times did any part of the chassis let me down. The chassis design is excellent on this thing.

Things I've broken:
Axels... A fair few. The dog bone cups at the uprights in the front of the truck. With a bit of a hit the bog bone can jump out of this cup. When it does that it damages the drive cup and the caster hubs. The only way this can be prevented is by every 2 or 3 runs under to change the foam at each end of the dog bone.
The foam I use is backing from an onroad spring set (ebay spec)20140719_073707.jpg
I have also had issues with upright bearings being broken. I figured out it was from the plastic wheel hexs. When the wheel nut was tightened the hex would push against the bearing. This happened because the plastic of the hex was compressed against the drive pin. There should be a small gap between hex and bearing, other wise the bearing is subject to far to much axial load. I fixed this by customising the stock wheel hexs.
20140719_082828.jpg
I have also broken the drive pins iinside the wheel hexs. I fixed that by buying a 1.75 mm drill bit, cutting off the shank and using that. Drill bits are far better quality than any hobby product will be. havnt had that issue again.

And finally the biggest issue. I cooked my esc. But I was running the truck at high speeds for long periods that day. My advice is: if u think your truck isn't performing as usual, or doesn't have as much power as usual. STOP DRIVING IT. I didn't do this and kept running it. Bad mistake on my part.

Last edited:
Easy mods for the savage xs:
First of all. If your running your truck at a skate park or even in the street nodoubt there will be some poles or posts around. A vulnerable spot on the truck is the front shocks. This is easy fixed by moving the shocks to mount on the back of the arm. It's a tight fit but everything does clear and it bolts straight in. U will need to protect the ends of the top shock bolts with whatever means u have on hand. These bolts mar wear thru your body if it's sliding along The street
20140719_095241_reduced.jpg

Another easy free mod.
To avoid motor wires getting cut up from the body mount pins. U can either simply turn the body pins around. Or you can take the cross brace off the top of the esc mount, unstick the esc and turn it around. I have a feeling this is how it was designed to be but hpi changed their mind.
20140719_101752_reduced.jpg

Thanks for the write ups. I just broke a wheel hex pin…using a plastic hex even! Couldn't believe it. I improvised by cutting a chunk of body clip and using that. So far so good. No hobby stores close to me on vacation! I will have to do the drill bit idea.

Just bought a used flux xs, put some 2.8 trenchers on desperado rims... I have the plastic hex but the wheel slop is crazy maybe 3/8 in each tire. Have you experienced this iasue. What's best fix?

Geez Louis I'm shocked at the problematic axles. I've yet to hear of anyone bending yet alone breaking one on the larger versions. Have you considered universals (u-joint or barrel style) or perhaps 1-2mm longer dog bones/? I was thinking about getting the XS version but did not know it was fragile as such.Noticed your shock springs....do you spring balance your truck (aka 1:1 race cars)?

Savage Basher7 said:
Thanks for the write ups. I just broke a wheel hex pin…using a plastic hex even! Couldn't believe it. I improvised by cutting a chunk of body clip and using that. So far so good. No hobby stores close to me on vacation! I will have to do the drill bit idea.
Use wheely king pins and hub axles there's a video on utube

Latest posts

Members online

Back