upgraded engine for savage x 4.6?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelicanprentice

hello, i have a hpi savage x 4.6 and i love the truck. my engine is probably on the way out pretty soon, I've had the whole truck since 2010 and i barely drove it.
i believe the stock motor on this is the hpi 0.28 however i want to upgrade/rebuild to a more powerful one for the cheapest price possible. I'm not really in a rush so i don't mind rebuilding albeit its gonna be my first time. i think i saw the recommened picco and lpi or whatever that brand is called however they seem to be going for $200+ and i don't feel like spending that much. i aslo heard something about a Argus .28 but not sure if it will me more powerful then my hpi 0.28

what would yall recommend me to do?

i would prefer to either rebuild this engine right now or buy a new backup whichever is most practical just because in the future maybe new motors will be harder to find

thx!

LRP motors are around. I just grabbed a brand new ZR.28 spec 4 yesterday for one of my savages. They’re out there. The .28 and the .32 are in stock

5 years ago I bought a old Savage ss with a dead motor. I took it apart and rebuild it with a lrp. 30 I just pulled it out od storage after 4 years and it fired right up. Lrp is best bang for the buck. My Savage ss boils the tires with the .30. I would of preferred to convert it to electric but the price of doing that I could buy a new truck.

You can rebuild it for the same cost of a new engine assuming it is just a piston and sleeve and maybe two new bearings. This will also give you an opportunity to really understand how it works and know your truck inside and out - literally. Or you can buy a new F4.6v2 for it for about $160.00 (just bought 2 on ebay) and swap out your flywheel and clutch and put it right back together. Either way you are good!

5 years ago I bought a old Savage ss with a dead motor. I took it apart and rebuild it with a lrp. 30 I just pulled it out od storage after 4 years and it fired right up. Lrp is best bang for the buck. My Savage ss boils the tires with the .30. I would of preferred to convert it to electric but the price of doing that I could buy new truck.
I agree. I have an LRP .30 on my x and I just put a brand new spec 4 LRP .28 on my 25. Paid $165 shipped for the LRP. Incredible bang for the buck. I can’t wait to break it in. The .30 absolutely rips! I also have an xl with a picco p3 .28 that I started the break in process and that’s it. But can’t find them anymore lol. LRP is your best bet. They are even in stock now!

Latest posts

Members online

Back