Updates on my Octane.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crossing fingers...

Hope it runs like it should this time.

UPS is bringing it today. It will be getting dark when I get off work but I will post how it does first chance I have to run it. I almost think I should not run it, seems like I can't get past a couple tanks before some thing fails. I will be listing it on eBay soon. Unless someone on here wants it. I am going to sell it cheap.

I got a chance to run it this evening. A new spark plug and 30 min of cranking it started and stayed running. Two trips around the yard and sparks!! The clutch gear and spur gear stripped out. There sending me another UPS shipping label. It's going back. If they give me a warranty credit they keep the truck and credit me my cost for what ever Hobbico product I want or if they decide to fix it then I will let it go for $550 plus shipping. Have to wait till I see what they decide to do. They won't give me a refund only a credit to buy there products for my cost of the truck. If they decide there only gona fix it and send it back then it's for sale.

Switched 2 cycle oil today to Blendzall.
No real noticeable difference in performance.
Tried to lean out the high speed needle a bit but it flames out and quits so I had to go back to where it was.
Still waiting for the 3rd gear to kick in for more speed but no luck.
I have already backed out the adjustment 1/2 a turn, unsure how much adjustment your able to do.
I am going to back it out more for the earlier shift and post if it makes a difference and how far I turned it.
mix fuel oil 25 cc oil on 1 litro.mix perfect

Here is the latest.
We are sending you a new HPI Octane in exchange for your old vehicle.
The Octane is a very new product and is not like any other gasoline
models out on the market. The fuel mixture is very important, we use
87 octane pump gas and HPI 2 cycle oil in a mixture ratio of 25:1. It
is equaly as important to keep the battary packs at a full charge
before your daily runs.They are"NiMH"batterys and will begin to lose
their charge as soon as the are removed from the charger. The ignition
battary needs a full charge to perform properly. We also change out
out the original spark plug to a NGK cm6 which we have included. We
have also included a new bottle of 2cycle oil.

I wrote them a letter end enclosed it with the 4th time I sent it in for repair.
I listed all the problems I had with it and let them know how displeased I was with the Octane.
I requested a warranty credit rather than repair and they opted to send me a new one.

you did well I would pull the head to those of hpi and also need to know that you're not the only one having certain problems

I had problems with the steering servo tuning carburetor and pieces that you svitavano I spent a lot of money and no one answers to email

I had problems with the steering servo tuning carburetor and pieces that you svitavano I spent a lot of money and no one answers to email
Your best bet is to call customer service, just send it back when there is a problem because there under warranty.
They pay they shipping both ways.

jeepjunk: Don't you have lawyers for those things?
In Norway there are very strict laws for these things, and the consumer is benefiting from good protection.
I believe I would be able to cancel the purchace if I had as much trouble as you (I haven't paid attention to any changes in the law the last years, so things might have changed).
I come from a computer background - and the rule there is/was three attempts to correct the error - customer gets a new product or money back if the attempts fail.

Not sure what the law is here in the US about such things.
Lawyer would cost money and Hobbico has tried to repair it and there also sending me a brand new one.
They have good customer service but the Octane is a flop I believe and I am sure there getting plenty of complaints.
I am waiting on the arrival of the new Octane and hopeful it performs well.
If not I will send it back.

crossing etc again...

You know.. Now you can sell a brand NEW, unused octane, and get more money for your losi if those plans hasn't changed.

Yes that is what I was thinking also.
But I dunno if I can resist running the new truck to see if this one does what it's supposed to.

They sent me a new in box truck just like you would have went to LHS and bought one.
I could not resist digging it out and running it.
This truck runs great, 2nd tank of fuel it was already hitting 2nd gear.
I haven't adjusted the carb other than backing the idle off a bit.
Wrecked the thing and broke the right front lower control arm, so I had to make a trip to LHS for a new one.
Fixed that this morning and took it out for a test run, no problems at all so far.
Still had fuel left from tank #2, I hope it keeps performing as it should.
Very pleased with the truck so far.
Guess my last one was just a dud.

Hello friend !!! I just read in the forums that you have changed the Savage and now is much better

Hello friend !!! I just read in the forums that you have changed the Savage and now is much better
Hello Roberto, this truck is much better.
So far that is, runs much better than my first one.
Starts easy, no servo twitching and is shifting.
I haven't leaned the carb out yet but it runs better than the last right out of the box.
I will keep everyone up to date as I run the truck.
I am thinking the newer Octanes may differ from the earlier models.

great finally good news for the carburetor did you do?

Unit down!!
Third tank of fuel.
Truck started ok, run fine for a few minutes then died.
I check for spark with new plug and have spark.
Installed new plug, charged batteries and still won't start.
Here we go again, sending it back for repairs.

Hello friend I read now your problem !!!! If you have the original spark plug throw it away Use a cm6 ngk then the mixture oil petrol ???? 25: 1 ?????

for mixture of (h) that you have to close a little more about how to use synthetic oil but says hpi good

The new truck came with a NGK CM6.
And I had extra NGK CM6 plugs from the last truck.
I think it must be a timing problem, I evern primed the cylinder and it wont even hit.

how I Got no spark? try to check quell bargain black fly that has married the ideal location

seeing and hearing about all these troubles others are having troubles with their Octanes I sure do have some thinking to do on a purchase of one for sure....
I also face small issues + that I am not happy with the local support and service. The truck has a great potential but I must find solutions by myself in many cases..and I am not an rc guru..

Got my Octane back from Hobbico yesterday. Roll cage left off, battery box lid off, CDI bent and open, they did not return my remote control, just a mess in a box along with a letter telling me I would have to pay shipping both ways and for service for any future problems!! So I called them and there supposed to send me a remote and a CDI. They replaced the cylinder liner and piston ring. They said it failed because of heat. 2 and a 1/2 tanks of fuel mixed 25:1 with HPI oil and the thing blew up and they are telling me it's the end of my warranty with all the problems I have had with this junk $900 model. I am telling you and want to spread the word not to buy from HOBBICO!!

That sucks @jeepjunk94. I'm trying to be optimistic about the Savage Octane but there seems to be many people having engine problems. :confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Back