Tutorial: How to paint camouflage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarnish

Airbrush wannabe.
It's finally time to crack down and post this.
For the purposes of this tutorial, I cropped images to identical sizes and I focused on the hood of the body in the same area so people can discern more details as the layers of paint are added.
The body chosen is a Baja Bug.

Choose your colour palette. I opted for a 5 colour camouflage and I didn't put a speck of paint onto the body until I had mixed up my colours. I opted for a light grey, light olive, dark olive, light brown and dark brown.
NOTE: This was my first camo paint job and after talking with vintage_tone and seeing the final outcome, I realized I should have started with my darkest colours and ended with my lightest colours. Tone knows paint and he was right, because the second camo paint (which I will show at the end) looks PERFECT.

Layer 1:

CamoTutorialCoat1.jpg

This is entirely freehand and I was aiming to have a consistent spacing and sizing of the "blots". This is also a guideline layer for me to see how I can puzzle things together for the rest of the body.

Layer 2:

CamoTutorialCoat2.jpg

Scale up the size of the colour "blots", but stay consistent with the spacing of them. Take your time, it's not a race and ALWAYS take a minute to lean back from the blot you are painting and view the body as a whole. This is the first layer that crossed the coats of paint, so I allowed plenty of time between layers for each to dry and cure.

Layer 3:

CamoTutorialCoat3.jpg

Keep the size of the next colour layer consistent and don't be afraid to overlap a little more.

Layer 4:

CamoTutorialCoat4.jpg

This is a background layer, I opted for a striping pattern that's a big blot that runs across the body, but no straight lines allowed, it's camo.

Layer 5:

CamoTutorialCoat5.jpg

Done deal.

Yes, it looks really good, but like I said at the beginning, I talked to Tone and I should have put the darker colours as the 2nd and 3rd layers of paint and used the lighter colours as the background fill.

For a first time job, I'm happy with it. As for the tools to do the job, I used clean beer caps as my paint trays and the biggest brush I used was a Q-Tip. Total time painting, minus drying time between layers is probably about 9 hours.

All the stages together: http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv223/TarnishedOne/BajaBugCamo.jpg

The second camo job (Winter Palette): http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv223/TarnishedOne/UrbanCamostillmasked.jpg

As promised, the 2nd forest camo paint job on my mini e-Revo:

CamoTutorial3rdJob.jpg

It looks almost 100 times better with the colours in the right order on the body.

Hope this helps someone to have some fun painting up a body. Cheers.

nice work on the tutorial,looks pretty darn good for a first atempt to me!!!

Nice work and write up Tarn!!!

Sweeeet!

Sup Tarnish!
Just wanted to stop by give props on a nice job!

Thanks for the warm welcome! lots of cool peeps here...

I'm sure you'll be selling custom painted bodies soon!

Later,

Xtra

Why must it be in shades of green, i cant see it. lol I'm sure it looks good though, i kinda want to do this but with some different exotic colours.

Latest posts

Members online

Back