Turnbuckle Rod Ends ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopIt

Certified Nitro Addict
What are the best and strongest rod ends to use ? I'm running Lunsford turnbuckles with GS Racing rod ends. The turnbuckles are not a problem but the rod ends have stretched to the point of breaking and can't hold the back wheels still anymore. The ones on the front are ok, but then I guess they're protected somewhat by the servo saver.

Any help appreciated.

The only ones I've seen are the Integy ones on their home site. Donmt really know how strong they are sorry bud.

FX is the bar part of those from Integy aluminum or steel? do you know. not the rod ends but the rod it self...(just to clearify)

I'm only interested in the rod ends, the Lunsford turnbuckles are holding up just fine, but the GS rod ends seem very soft. The hole for the ball stretched to egg shaped, but didn't break. Either way they're not up to the job. I was just wondering what you guys were using or what's the most popular choice ?

The lunsford ends lasted a long time for me, there very thick and pretty tuff. I'm going to get a set of integy rear hub carriors and solve the problem for my truck in the rear.

i had some alloy ones. cant remember the make anymore, think somebody on ebay powersells them with titanium tierods.

the stock plastic ones are pretty pants

The lunsford ends lasted a long time for me, there very thick and pretty tuff. I'm going to get a set of integy rear hub carriors and solve the problem for my truck in the rear.

Do you have a Lunsford part number ? I looked at the same sort of rear hubs that HPI make, but I'm not sure if that is the strongest option because your removing an extra support from that area. It's also nice to have the option to adjust the toe angle if needed. I looked at the Integy turnbuckles with the aluminium rod ends, they certainly look the business but I'm not a big fan of metal on metal parts. Once they get exposed to a bit of grit a dust and that gets in there, then I can't imagine they're guna last to long at all. I'll definately try and get some more plastic ones as they seem to wear quite well, if they don't break that is :Xfingers:

I think just keeping HPI replacements on hand is the best way to get the job done.
And you'll still have a first line of defense in helping to prevent your wheel carriers from being torn off.

But if you really want them to stay, see if you can find four replacement bolts that have a larger head on them, or simply install a washer with the screw that's bigger than the screw head.
This will prevent it from popping off too easy.

Just remember what's gonna break, if the rod end doesn't give.
Rod ends do stretch over time from regular bashing, but are cheap enough to have a reserve on hand, incase you feel it's time for a more snug fit.

======================= Just my .02 =======================

Last edited by a moderator:
if its for bashing then i agree with doobee, just use a washer over the bolt to keep them in place or leave them to pop off to save you ripping another, more expensive part off.

if its for racing, the amount of slop that the plastic ends generate is too much, an alloy end is needed.

Hi all, I got some Lunsford rod ends today, the trouble is I didn't realise they don't fit the stock balls. :Mr.confused: I need to get some that fit but I don't know the size. Lunsford are closed on Fridays so I can't phone them, can someone please HELP ! I don't want to use titanium balls because I found that they wear out pretty quick, I prefer the stock type. The only thing to happen to em in nearly 3 years is they got all shiney, but that's it.

Help very much appreciated :Xfingers:

Thanks guys.

Thanks for that Fx. The only problem is they are the titanium ones made by lunsford, and as I mentioned I found out titanium wears out too quickly. I just need to know what size balls they are and then find some of the very hard black type to suit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe someone has an opinion of Lunsford rod ends ? The titanium pivot balls I've used before weren't made by Lunsford, so maybe I can be convinced that they're ok ?

I spoke to the tech guy at Lunsford and he convinced me that there pivot balls would not wear out like other brands, but then he would ! Anyway they certainly are the best quality titanium pivot balls I've ever seen, or even the best quality titanium parts period. If they perform and last as good as they look I'll be more than happy !

Members online

No members online now.
Back