Turboit's PRC/FLM mid-tank build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turboit

Well I've just about recieved all the parts needed to start and finish my build... what initially started out as a backyard basher, became something much more! (we've all been there) I swear this hobby is just as bad as my obsession of full size cars lol

Anyways the setup will be using FLM ext lcg and PRC midtank setup using the Hpi Hell fire tank. I'm sure it will be very similar to most of the other mid tank builds.

mymidtankbuild.jpg

First off I'd like to give Nick at the new SMF store much deserved kudos for getting my parts shipped to me and communication to me was great. He shipped the parts that were in stock and then later shipped the parts that were out of stock when they came and and clearly and promptly communicated this with me, he shipped the items at his cost overnight! He even added some other items I ordered w/o extra shipping costs! Big thumbs up there! Any new guys who have not done business with him I suggest you do so! Also would like to thank Jason of PRC for the great communication as well, some of the parts I ordered were not in stock but he too communicated promptly, they should be here shortly.

the setup consists of
-FLM lcg ext tvp's
-FLM servo mount
-FLM engine plate
-FLM Skid plate for Ext lcg
-FLM drag link
-FLM front center HD dog bone
-FLM HD dog bones x4
-OFNA linkage
-OFNA sliders
-HPI steering upgrade
-HPI 17mm conv

I have more stuff but thats the short list :duh:

I will add more pics and update as I go a long!
Thanks for looking and thanks for all the ideas guys that will make this build fun!
-William

Quite a bit of stuff there. Be sure to show pics of the build,along the way. Good luck with it.

wow it looks like christmas time all over again lol well keep us posted throughout the build!!!

thanks guys! Everytime I start working on it I come onto the forum and see something else I want lol... I think I got most of what I want and need at this point... When I get home I will start working on her and take lots of pics.

thanks guys! Everytime I start working on it I come onto the forum and see something else I want lol... I think I got most of what I want and need at this point... When I get home I will start working on her and take lots of pics.

i agree 100%, the hobby is already addicting enough then you come here and see all the mods and stuff others are doing and it just never stops after that lol

I know it! I'm pulling a lot of influences from The Judge's build up..with some differences of course.. I still have to sort out what servos to use and reciever pack etc. That will be a lil bit down the road though.

Great looking build. Should be a killer truck.

I should have the stuff today and will package up tonight and ship tomorrow priority mail to your door step. You will most definitely have to keep us up to date on this build.

looks like youve got some good plans there :Radioactive:

Great looking build. Should be a killer truck.

I should have the stuff today and will package up tonight and ship tomorrow priority mail to your door step. You will most definitely have to keep us up to date on this build.
Nice! Thanks Jason! I can't wait to get them! thanks for the followup:jamout:

ok so I started working on my savvy a lil bit last night... I didn't get to take a whole bunch of pics my digital camera took a crap on me... so I'll be taking more tonight. I did run into a bit of a snag.

When installing the aluminum cross bars that came with the FLM tvp's onto the hpi bracket it seems the screw holes on the flm are a bit small so the screws I use for it have some play in them. Unless I'm totally mounting them wrong!

PIC-0232.jpg

in this pic I have the screws in the bar but there is a lot of play

PIC-0231.jpg

any insight on this would be gratefully appreciated. Its been awhile since I've built an RC car, and this will be my first savage.

sorry for the bad pics... from my camera phone

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Mickey! Its funny I was just checking out your updates to your sidewinder build!

A lil Update... still waiting on some parts as they come in.

Today to my surprise one of our Techs brings in all his T-maxx and misc bits to sell because he is loving his 1/18th rc18t. So I snagged these off him

PIC-0238.jpg

and
PIC-0239.jpg

The CVEC is for a .21 engine but I snagged it regardless.

ok so I recieved some goodies when I got home today to help finish the build... Got the midtank kit from PRC Thanks to Larson. The quality of his CF bits are top notch indeed. Kit included all the necessary hardware to do the job. Also got the Hellfire tank and access. and RPMbatt box.

Picture002.jpg

during the assembly of the steering assembly don't know if those using the FLM drag link have come across this. But the link binds against the saver arm when at left turn full lock.. as compared to the right lock the link moves quite a bit further.

Picture003.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture007.jpg

stock piece
Picture010.jpg

Picture008.jpg

the factory drag link has recesses in it to accomodate this problem as the flm link does not? I was thinking about shaving a lil on the bellcrank but didn't want to take away any strength of it.
stock link overlayed over the flm
Picture017.jpg

flm overlayed the stock link
Picture016.jpg

Looks like you have a great build going on and good luck getting it back together. The one thing I noticed is in the first pic where you have the aluminum cross bar on the bracket. Unless you upgraded it, there should be a plastic brace on the bracket, and the FLM brace you have gets mounted on the engine plate, which is why the screws are smaller. Sorry I cant help you on the FLM drag link, I do not have one of those. Hope this helps you out and good luck. Keep us updated as you get further along.

Looks like you have a great build going on and good luck getting it back together. The one thing I noticed is in the first pic where you have the aluminum cross bar on the bracket. Unless you upgraded it, there should be a plastic brace on the bracket, and the FLM brace you have gets mounted on the engine plate, which is why the screws are smaller. Sorry I cant help you on the FLM drag link, I do not have one of those. Hope this helps you out and good luck. Keep us updated as you get further along.

Allan beat me. That brace goes under the engine plate. Nice work Q.

thanks for the input Allan. I figured I either got the wrong braces with the FLM tvp's I just used the plastic stock braces for the time being...

I may just use the stock drag link instead of the flm piece for now... hmm looks like I'm spending money and not using these parts LOL blah!

Glad to help out. from what I hear those FLM drag links are good and I am sure someone will post up a fix to help you out.

Turbo, don't shave anything & use the FLM link, it mounts like this VVV

gotta save up & get me some of that carbon fiber for my savage

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks frddyj... I have mine setup the same as yours just the view I took the pic is from the bottom of the rack assembly and not the top view... I'm gonna mess with it some more this weekend. Thanks for the input.

just a quick update... I've had to put things on hold for a minute due to personal life getting outta hand a bit... now that its back on track, I ordered a few things here and there and should be back under construction. short list includes
-Hitec 5955tg servo off RC universe used looks brand new
-hpi sf-5 servo from Rob@ nitronuts
-diff shims
-innovative rc lst conv kit got it less than 10 days from Rob thumbs up to him from quick shipment!
-atomic rear hubs off ebay-taking forever to get
a few other small things comming... I'll still need to get wheels and tires and a body. I also want to convert to a pullstart on my SH engine.. so a lot more pics in the upcomming weeks!

Latest posts

Members online

Back