Tuning advice and clarification. Starting rich/poor performance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doginjeep

This is going to be a long and specific question(s). I've looked through lots of old tuning posts so please don't hate on me for this.

1) I'm running a used Axial .28 spec 1S. Rotor-start. It has great compression. The seller ran it for me. The needle settings were left alone until I couldn't start it myself. Good plug and igniter.
2) it's mid-winter. Outside temp is about 4deg C.
3) new tank and lines.
4) I have the trim on the tx set properly.

So I set all the needles back to flush and went at it. Finally got it idling with a leaned out LSN and ultra-rich Hsn. The MSN is set flush and the gap is set at the 1mm standard. The idle speed is so high that the clutch strts pulling but not crazy hard. With this tuning the thing wouldn't get any speed, so as I ran it around and got the temps up, I started to lean it out. Finally I have this truck pulling fast enough to make it into second gear and checked the temp to be 235F. I am new to this and don't want to burn out this motor. (If anybody knows what I've been through I can tell you this is my 2nd used savvy. Now I have one with no running motor. )
Anyhow, after tuning to get it running strong and making about eight high speed passes, I realize I burned through a tank of fuel and had to gas-up.(I'm sure having the big heavy tires on it doesn't make it easier) I couldn't get it started again! I noticed that the fuel Line was not staying pressurized, hence no fuel making it into the carb. Had to go rich on the HSN to get it running again and then lean it out to get performance. I don't want to do this every time . This is supposed to be fun.

Questions
1) is this problem because of the cold outside temp? And is it just normal procedure?
2) how much run time should one expect out o the 160cc tank? I've gone through about six tanks trying to tune it. I'm using the traxxas 30% fuel which is what the org.owner broke the motor in on.
3) I really would like to get the idle dialed in so that it doesn't pull.

well cold = more oxygen so therefore ya need more fuel to make it run run it a lil richer.... sounds like the temp is reasonable so ya are close to optimum settings........ second it is prolly the fuel I find TRX fuel to be crap... try switching brands to something like odonnell or sidewinder....as for runtime it will vary with load and how ya use it. I usually get about 10 min or so on a tank...... I am also runnin an axial .32 in mine, it is pretty much stock tho.....as for the mid speed needle I would leave that alone caz the adjustment is so fine ya can really mess yourself up quite a bit by playin with it unless you are an experienced tuner.....

Thanks Jam. I assumed that the oxygen dense air would require more fuel. I am still learning the fuel requirements of these vehicles. Makes my rc10gt look pretty efficient.
As for the MSN , I decided to reset it. The previous owner had it in about 1 1/2 or 2 turns, but it's working for me now. I think I'll try to line up the sweet spot in the port like many have done.

I would definately change fuels. I personally prefer byrons. As the tuning goes, I noticed your tuning it backwards. You always start with the HSN first because that is what mainly controls the fuel flow. Once you have the HSN set, then you adjust the LSN. The MSN (mid-speed needle) leave that at factory setting or I set mine about 1/8 turn lean +/-. Also, has the motor been sealed? Air leaks can cause tank pressure issues and tuning issues. As far as run times go, it's like Jam said, it all depends on how it's set up and how you drive it. Also like Jam said, during the winter, your going to have run it richer than what you would during the summer because of the dense colder air. Hope this helps along with what Jam said. Anymore questions, just ask.

Sorry for the misleading info. I was tuning the needles in the proper sequence. Although when I started from baseline settings , I could not get the thing to fire up. This is the issue: I can't get it to start unless the HSN is set super rich and the LSN set 2 turns lean. I was messing with it again today, got it fired up with the mentioned settings and then proceeded tuning for proper performance. After getting it going well, I guess I turned the LSN one notch to lean and it died. I put the LSN back to before the last time I touched it and I can't get it to start! I thought that having it set to what should be final adjustments would make it easier to start.
What am I doing wrong?
I'm a newb, but I'm not an idiot. I do have a pretty strong mechanical understanding of most things but I feel like I'm missing something here.
Also, what should I look at to stop the pulling at idle? I've set the trim on the tx to close the slide as far as possible and it still seems like it's revving high.

Last edited by a moderator:
Running in the winter can be a pain. You will constantly be adjusting tuning if you are tuning for pure performance. One thing I want to mention, since I haven't seen it said yet, is that it helps to wrap the head with something like an old sock. This keeps the temps up and more constant on the engine.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back