Truck Pull Gearing setup

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SavageNewb

Hello,

I am new to this board. I am curious what is the best setup for a "power pull" savage X ? I am not interested in speed just brute pulling power. What ratio should I use? Should I upgrade the clutch to a nova? what other parts would be a "weak link in the chain" I want this thing to pull a full size truck :) at a snail pace :)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Savages don't tend to pull to well from what I've seen, but a steel spur would be a must. Figure out a way to lock the tranny in first gear. If it shifts to second with weight on it and that rpm the tranny might not hold and you loose torque anyway. For the slipper you may want to go direct drive. You would have to figure out somthing with the diffs. The stock ones probably would not last long doing that. Also dogbones, drive cups, and what not would have to be the strongest you could find. You would prob want and ext chassis of some sort for better weight distro. Shocks can be removed and replaced with rod, as you don't really need suspension, in the back anyway. This is one place where the nitrous and superchargers may actually help as the power is only needed for a short time. Also don't plan on the motor lasting to long doing pulling as the loads are tremendous and the repeated short wot with weight on it is not to good either. Ok I am getting to long winded so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks CrawlinClodKiller,

Those are great ideas.. I already have the dogbones/cups. What gear ratio would you suggest? I also have the 3spd tranny that is yet to be installed. I think it has more "lower end" but will the extra shift points hurt?

Is there a "temporary" way to lock the tranny and differentials?

Thanks again for the Help

you basically need to toughen up the whole truck. alot.

seriously alot.

the diffs will go, as will the gearbox as allready said. you might want to stick with 2 speed as the gears are thicker in it, slighlty less chance of wrecking one.

probably want to look at the robinson racing clutch bell/ spur gear combo. probably the hardest one on the market, and lock out the slipper.

engine wise, again its going to hurt it. u probably want a .32 size engine for the grunt they have.

what drivecups/shafts are you planning to use? toughest i have seen are the new tsais tbonz x ones.

you could lock the diffs with metal putty or similar. going to be a messy job to try and clean out afterwards. you could upgrade the ring/pinion with cen ones. need a slight mod to fit but much tougher.

keep us informed as to what you end up with. and let us know if you manage to pull any heavy things

One thing to keep in mind is aluminum clutches will generate more heat than stock ones. If you are pulling you will be deburring/changing clutches like crazy.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back