Truck for kids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasRaider

I have an 8 year old daughter and a 6 year old nephew that I want to get a truck, truggy, buggy, etc. for (of course I will play with it a little too!) but I don't have a clue what to do for someone that young.

I was thinking somewhere along the lines of a 1/18 scale (however some 1/10 aren't bad in price) and most likely an electric one as ease of use for these little spoiled ones is a must!

Any recommendations? I don't want to spend a fortune as it would be nice to stay around $100 but if I see two sitting side-by-side, and one has better "stuff" I will pay more! Definately stay under $200 if at all possible!!!

Thanks!!!

The Losi Mini LST2 would be a great one for them if you can leave it stock. I tryed to do the same thing but now its got a 5400Kv mamba BL and a 3 Cell LiPo with a bit of aluminum. It probably tops out at about 50mph so I guess my doughter cant play with it anymore, LOL. My doughter is a bit young yet thought she is just 4.

The wheely king is definitely a fun truck!!! Got my mom one for Christmas to turn into a rock crawler for her and well, its still not done since we have been having so much fun with the way it comes out of the box!

any of those suggested would be great for a beginer also if you go to the rc18t i here to help you as i love my and would be a great help

Amazing that the 1/10 are just as affordable as the 1/18. I don't really know what to do. I am going to narrow it down, read reviews and then get on the phone with HS's as I have to go to the DFW metroMESS Saturday so surely I can find one in stock somewhere up there!

Keep the opinions coming and thanks again for all the information!

well id reccommend staying with HPI, because of how well their stuff seems to hold up. the wheely king can be converted to a crawler rather easily (HPI makes a kit?) so when the kids get bored with it, you can make it a crawler and have fun with it.

I am going to say a Traxxas Stampede or Rustler. They are great cheap truck and they take abuse like no other. They have been around for ever. The 1/18th cars break to easy I find for kids and are too hard for them to drive also (get stuck too easily). The stampedes and rustlers are great bashers, their only downside is they are only 2wd.

Think I have it down to two...

HPI E Firestorm and Traxxas Rustler

Afraid I would not be happy with a 1/18 truck, but will look at them in person because that little Mini LST2 is pretty dang impressive.

Thanks and I will still be researching some more tomorrow in case anyone comes up with something new!

Those look like good choices. I have no experience with the firestorm so I can't compare. I have a stampede though with is basically the same as the rustler and they are fantastic. About the only thing that breaks is the plastic idler eventually and it's $3 for a steel one. The stampede is the most reliable car I have and a 7 year old drives it mostly so it must be tough. Only thing that is a must for it though is an rpm bumper. Kids look at the car not where it is headed.

I got my E Firestorm off ebay for $189 with free shipping and its a great truck. Look a lot like the XXXt but the tougher "Savage" version. lol

Its quite fast and a great racer. I took 3rd my first time at the track with it.

One last post and I will be done...anyone know anything about this DuraTrax Evader EP? It has mixed reviews, and I mean from one extreme to the other, but it is also one of the most sold and reviewed so anyone know ANYTHING about these?

Ok, forgive me for my previous lie I posted as I just uncovered a new 1/10 scale truck and I can't fine one as they are too new. (This would be because they just made the press release today!!!) Check it out and see what you think. A little higher than the $200 I wanted to spend, but seeing as Losi's are usually the most expensive on the market, $229 doesn't seem too bad.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0102

It is a 1/10 scale RTR Desert Truck and looks like it may be an excellent choice for an 8 year old to run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think its in stock yet.It just came out a week or so ago.

That Dessart truck looks sick and even comes with the 2.4 Ghz radio.

Here are a few Vids of my MLST just to show you how impressive these things can be. Granted I have a 5400KV BL and a 3C LiPo in it. Trying to make ya a little Jelious, LOL.

Latest posts

Members online

Back