Tricks To Stop Ballooning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanty

I WILL BREAK IT!!!
Hey,

I got some Zombies coming in and heard that they like to balloon abit. I was wondering, to help stop this, is it just as easy as I have been hearing in just putting normal duck tape over the foams?

Also, if I were to get different foams inserts. Which ones would I want to help with this?

Thanks
Shawn Stevenson

i,ve used duct tape that worked well,but some else told me packing tape was better also.if you use duct tape try and make the tape even all the way round,if theres more in one area it can bounce or wobble

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably run without it first just to see. I have beadlocks so I can quickly try it if I think I need it.

you may have to watch out if doing the tape trick as the beads cant be touched so they sit right in the beadlock

i like the packing tape with nylon strings in it, search my old posts in another thread i explained a good way to do it, used to do it when racing helpe a bunch

IMO, filament tape (see below) works the best. Just apply it to the inside of the tire. I usually go around the inside twice when I do it.

filalg.jpg

yea thats the tape i use, i also CA the tape to the tire once I'm done, helps keep it stuck to the rubber

I used duck tabe on my zonbie-maxx tires. I went twice around but next time I would only go around once.

The Filiment tape that BMC has shown may work vary good.

Basicly flip the tire inside out run a ring around it like said above make sure your as even as possable and don't over lay much it at all. Then flip the tire back insert your foams and install on wheel. Don't put the tape on the foam. I suppose if you CAed the tape to the rubber it would take the changes of the tape balling up on you inside the tire.

I have also head of people gluing the foam to the tire which may actually work the best as it will still let the tire baloon up and flex more because of the foam but would help eliminate the ballooning for the most part. However, I have never tryed this.

I like the duct take on mine though.

I just got the Zombies and some Maximizer beadlocks and I used the Panther green molded foam.

If I am doing some doughnuts and one of the front tires lifts off the ground it turns into a pizza cutter. Please tell me, Is this the same as the ballooning effect that you are talking about? Because if it is then I need to do something about it I guess, or is the pizza cutter thing unavoidable? Or do I have ballooning issues?

you can use a dremel and cut a slot across the top and use a reg screwdriver to get them out

Good example of tires without tape:

And perhaps you also have a good example of tires with tape?

Edit: Just put two layers of duct tape on inside of the tire and re-installed. Just the fronts for now. Going to try them out. I keep you guys updated on how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:
the next time u buy tires may be u should try some low profiles that might help,i have seen some tires that have ribbing on the inside corners of the tires i think pro line makes them and that suposed to fix that or help fight it. and before that maybe give the ribbed packing tape a try some told me it sticks to the tire better.

windjammr, I took the front tires off to see if the duct tape stayed on and quickly found out that I had accidentaly put the two duct taped tires on the rear :slapped: So that explains why the front tires were still ballooning :duh:

I will have to try again tomorrow with the duct taped tires actually on the front of the truck this time. I will put the non duct taped on the rear.

And the duct tape stayed in place, the duct tape sticks very well imho.

One thing I noticed about the duct taped tires is that when you squish the sidewalls of the tire together(once mounted on rim) the middle of the tire does not pop up anymore, which tells me that I think I will notice a difference once I put them on the front of the truck.

Tested non taped versus taped and it makes a BIG difference.

The two layers of duct tape on the inside of the tire stopped the ballooning. Next I will try one layer of tape on the remaining two tires in order to compare it to the two layered.

I am curious to know how ballooning affects jumping/flipping? negatively or positively?
A friend of mine said that his ballooning stock tires actually help in the air while flipping the truck off jumps. I remain skeptical.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back