Transmission tuning.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D1PL0M4T

Hey guys just wanted to know if anyone have any pointers on transmission tuning or if it is something that should just be left at stock settings.

Stock is a good reference point. Your manual will indicate how you can adjust your shift points based on your needs and motor. I tend to change my shift points depending on the area space where I run. But your motor is a big contributor in deciding shift points.

Jud and Joe are both correct. A couple others points to add are, gearing (SG&CB) also will affect shift points and tire/rim combos will affect shift points. If your runnin an all bone stock savvy, than what's recommended in the manual for the shift point is good.

my 3 speed transmission doesn't shift anymore. no 2nd or 3rd speed..... I'm running the savage x stock tires and rims.

i looked inside and everything is fine.... it was shifting fine until i took it all apart and put it back together. all the gears are ok. nothing is stripped.

i looked inside and everything is fine.... it was shifting fine until i took it all apart and put it back together. all the gears are ok. nothing is stripped.

Are you 100% sure you have the shift mechanisms turned the right way?
They can be put in backwards and if so will not work.
Also if you let lock###e seep into things that can prevent them from working properly.
I've also seen one person try to grease their trans. Big no no.

First check your slipper clutch making sure its not slipping like crazy or worn out. If it is, the trans will never shift but the engine will rev like crazy.

Pull it back apart checking the orientation of all the parts. Check the tabs that pop out to grab the next gear and make sure they are not stuck or damaged.

i checked all that stuff when i cleaned it up a few days ago. the slipper clutch only rotates 1 way. when i turn it it turns with the gearing. nothing is broken...the engine idles fine. everything is ok. i think its a matter of getting the shift timing exactly right...

when you have a nice tune your should see a burst of speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd. if you don't have that burst chances are you need to wind it out a bit (shift later) make small adjustments 1/8 turns and make your adjustments at wot passes to maximize your performance

when you have a nice tune your should see a burst of speed when shifting from 1st to 2nd. if you don't have that burst chances are you need to wind it out a bit (shift later) make small adjustments 1/8 turns and make your adjustments at wot passes to maximize your performance

I second that but I always found that most stock setting shift too late, rather than too early.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back