tranny sliping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCKO9865

was breaking in my new engine today and on the 5th tank when i was driving it is now trying to shift as the engine is breaking in. problem is when it shifts it don't always grab it free spin then when the rpms come down it will grab does this alot. do you think it is the oneway bearing on the black nylon gear that slips.took it apart there was a little oil on the shaft. or its just bad bearing but it is a new tranny. and does anyone know wear the pre set shift points are for 1st to second and 2nd to 3rd? i did play with it when i had it a part. i might just put the 2 speed in to finish break in then worry about the 3 speed. just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

ill check it but when i put the tranny in i tightened it all the way and loosened one quarter turn. takes off strong it just tries to shift and revs up until rpm goes down but will check. thanks! hopefully i can find stock settings for the shift point may have it out of spec oh yea and when it does catch it will stay in gear until i come to a stop and take off again and then its the same problem over again.

stock shift point is 2 1/2 turns in from completely out. don't lose your set spring and ball, use locktite when you put the grub back in. your truck is always in gear until you come to a complete stop, it might be 1st or it might be 2nd. check the back of your spur to see if your pad is worn or the back of your spur is stripped just to be safe

ok ill do that but you know when you take the gears out of the tranny are they really wobbly all three on mine are like that. i don't think thats right can anyone confirm this?

you shouldnt need to take the gears out of your tranny, the gears will have a bit of wobble and some side to side movement out of a stock trans. that is normal. if you are in your tranny and you don't see any stripped gears there is nothing wrong with your trans. it is most likely your slipper setting, a worn slipper pad, or the back of your spur is worn. take out your mill, take off your spur gear and inspect the back of it along with your slipper pad to see if it is glazed over, put it back on if all is ok and tighten down your slipper nut all the way and back it out 1/8 turn, replace your mill and have fun

yall got him coverd ... but its not the trans slipping... they don't slip .. enless teeth are gone...they can be so off adjusted that they stay in first or even stay in 3rd.. but don't slip just don't shift... so imo its the slipper pad behinde the spur gear ... I'm thinking its chewd up .... grips with lil throtle but with alot of power it slips .. then when you let off it gripps enough to spin the trans at the right rpm to change gears ....have fun happy bashn..

my buddy had the same problem and it was the one way in the trans. called hpi and they sent a new one out asap. fixed the problem.

my buddy had the same problem and it was the one way in the trans. called hpi and they sent a new one out asap. fixed the problem.

noticed this was your first post so thought i would take the time to welcome u to the forum!!!!

I'm thinking it is the oneway because i have a new pad new 47 tooth spur new tranny that has been used maybe 7tanks or so and like i said when i had it apart a week ago noticed oil on the shaft were the one way sits wiped it and still slipping but it seems worst than before.

old post, but i have the exact same issue with my XL. Did you find a solution to the problem? what was it?
I have checked my slipper clutch pad, and it was very smooth. I have ordered new pads but since i don't have anyone lying here at the moment i used fine sandpaper to rough up the slipper pad a little in hope that it would work as a temp solution, but the problem persists for me.

You don't want to rough the slipper pad, you want to tighten it down all the way to eliminate it as a possible problem. If you tighten it and the problem persists then you have another issue.

old post, but i have the exact same issue with my XL. Did you find a solution to the problem? what was it?
I have checked my slipper clutch pad, and it was very smooth. I have ordered new pads but since i don't have anyone lying here at the moment i used fine sandpaper to rough up the slipper pad a little in hope that it would work as a temp solution, but the problem persists for me.

what are you using to tighten the slipper? you gotta get a socket wrench or some other real tool to crank the slipper all the way down until the spring is 100% compressed. (you really gotta muscle it) then back off 1/8" :jamout:

I'm tightening the slipper nut as much as i can after i used sandpaper to rough the slipper pad ut a little. I did that as a temp solution, till i get the new slipper clutch pads in the mail. I used the wrench that came with the car to tighten it, but i will use a real socket wrench when i change to the new slipper clutch pad.

Do not over tighten it. I think a socket wrench is overkill, you can bend the shaft easily by overtightening it. Mine is slighty bent and I didn't even use a socket wrench, I'm famous for overtightening everything LOL. But by using a socket wrench I think you could get too carried away. I have had no issues with mine because it's very slight and I use steel spurs but still, you don't have to use a huge amount of force, if your spring is compressed until it's touching the coils together that's all you need.

it was the one way in the tranny. call hpi and tell them your problem and they should send you one. they had lots of problems with them.

it was the one way in the tranny. call hpi and tell them your problem and they should send you one. they had lots of problems with them.

prolly going to be cheaper for me too just buy a new OWB there instead of calling HPI, since i live in norway=) but I'm gonna look up the partnumber and order a new one, unless anyone got the partnumber lying infront of them?:p

prolly going to be cheaper for me too just buy a new OWB there instead of calling HPI, since i live in norway=) but I'm gonna look up the partnumber and order a new one, unless anyone got the partnumber lying infront of them?:p

Sorry the doubleposting, but is it the bearings B023 or B025 I'm gonna need?

the 86362 if they even have them. they had none when i talked to them and they sent the one from the 2spd tranny with a new gear. good luck

Latest posts

Members online

Back