Tranny or Diff?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00chevy

Ive had my savage put away for about a year now. one day i was running it and noticed that something broke and its only powering the front wheels. How can I tell if its the diff or the tranny. How much do you guys think parts will cost to fix it? Is this a common issue? I may have had my sliper clutch set too tight.

Thanks guys!
Ryan

Make sure you didn't lose one of the pins that connect the drive cup to the tranny or diff. I did that one a couple weeks ago. I apparently forgot to thread lock it. It fell out and fwd only. Cheap and easy to fix. It the pins are in and the dog bone is there, check you diff first. Hold both front tires and one rear still. Then turn the other back one by hand. It should turn smooth and quite. If you here grinding or poping the diff is toast. If the diff checks good, then it is time to check the tranny.

I will pull it out and take a look. I'm pretty sure I looked at the dog bones and they seemed normal. There is difinitly a noise coming from the rear diff. How much will a new diff set me back? Is there a upgrade that can handle the .25's grunt?

Thanks guys, nice site you guys got over here. very imformative.

Last edited by a moderator:
The dogbones pins are intact. I guess its the diff. What all is involved in replacing the diff. What all has to be removed from the chasis?

I didn't mean the dogbone pins. There is a grub style pin that goes through the drive cup itself. I have lost those. But if they are there then ya, read the manual on how to get to the diffs. It's not to hard.

jb weld works good in the back diff just lock em up then no more rear diff problem but would upgrade the front to aalow for shims and such.....also could be the bearings are worn out inside the bulkhead causing strippage of gears

Latest posts

Members online

Back