Tranny Help!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RangerRock

Hey guys I have problem with the tranny. Megabyteme it worked fine for for 1 Tank and then when it vut off I went to restart it and it is already engaged, as starting in gear. I tore it down to check the gears and the gears are fine. When I roll it fowards in F it is fine but when you roll it backwards the tires lock up......that's while holding the spur gear. Also on the spure gears by the slipper pad their is a little desigh almost like a square and it knocked those off. Please help as I want to get to break-in my STS. Cheers

When i pull the pluu start the tires move and then the truck moves. it shouldn't be starting up in gear. Also the spur gear was STUCK.it would NOT MOVE. I had to take the motor out to get it to move.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the cb spinning freely?
have you got alloy clutch shoes?
I had shavings coming from the shoes and rubbing the clutch bell, my truck wouldn`t idle with the wheels on the ground.

I have stock 3 shoe. yes the CB spins freely.

you took the engine out and the truck would move again?
spur was no longer locked?
check the clutch, I suspect it isn`t spinning freely.

oops we posted at the same time, forget the clutch bell

lol.yeah i got the motor out and the CB spins fine. How loose should it be??

I think some gears in the tranny slide alongside each other, are they all properly assembled?
clutch holders properly fastened?

They should have been b/c it worked fine for a tank. What are the stock settings.......hpi's site is too confusing,

the cb should have no resistance at all, if you spin it with your finger it should keep spinning for some seconds.

I don`t know the stock settings, I adjusted the shifting point of 3rd gear up a lot so it wouldn`t shift into 3rd anymore.
after this I adjusted 2nd, when 2nd was fine I adjusted 3rd.
but I don`t think that has anything to do with the tranny locking up, open it up and see if everything is fastened properly.
make sure it is before looking at other possibilties.

well it doesn't.........hm what would cause that??

25, maybe it`s an idea to quote each others post, it`s becoming a terrible mess.
it can be caused by bad bearings or shavings, did you open up the clutch by the way?
My k4.6 kept breaking stock clutch shoes and it caused the same symptoms.
I`ve been breaking my head about it until I opened up the clutch and found a clutch shoe broken where it`s mounted on the flywheel pin.

25, maybe it`s an idea to quote each others post, it`s becoming a terrible mess.
it can be caused by bad bearings or shavings, did you open up the clutch by the way?
QUOTE] Yes i took it off b/c I thought maybe the springs got messed up and it was stuck open/

QUOTE] Yes i took it off b/c I thought maybe the springs got messed up and it was stuck open/

the clutch must be dragging somewhere or the wheels won`t turn when idling unless it`s idling too fast.
did you find any traces of something rubbing the cb?
take your manual and see if there is a washer (z694) above the flywheel nut.
I had a problem once because that washer was worn and became so thin that it got stuck between the crankshaft and the bearing.

No it all looked fine.......I'll see if I can get the CB looser because it doesn't spin after I let go it stops.......gr.........I'll keep yall updated.....Mega.maybe some help...

check the brass bushing (86121), if it`s worn it you easily overtighten the screw.
replace when worn and use threadlock on the cb screw, don`t tighten it all the way but just enough to let the cb spin freely, let the threadlock fasten the screw instead of tightening the screw all the way.

Ok I put the tranny back together without any adjustments and I think somehow it's working. I'll let yall know later.too early to start up a NITRO TRUCk right now........mom makes me wait till 12 PM......it's 11:04

i had that prob turned out to be a bad clutch spring

Latest posts

Members online

Back