total newbie question!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wullie

i was out for my first proper bashin session with my savage th other day and i noticed something. does the truck have 2 gears? it sounds like an automatic gearbox changing gears as it accelerates. it only appears to change once so I'm assuming i have a 2 speed. from what iv read on here, guys with gears have to have a third channel for shifting. i only have 2 channels (steering and throttle/brakes) but i appear to have a 2 speed truck. do i have gears or is something up with my truck?? it appears to run great. do 3 speeds need the third channel for shifting? is it worth getting a 3 speed if I'm just a basher? hopefully noone will flame me for this but I'm new to the hobby and very confused!!

lol...yes you have two speeds, lol....As for the three speed, you can't go wrong with getting it. you get a little better low end and top end.

Hi Wullie, and welcome to the hobby. You are correct, your Savage does indeed have a 2 speed automatic transmission. It is adjustable as well.. meaning you can change the point at which it shifts, but either tightening or loosening the adjustment screw located on the clutch (it's inside the transmission case, under the right side hole, (covered by a rubber stopper on the driver's side of the truck)... Since your's is shifting, I wouldn't mess with it. The process for adjusting is in your owner's manual. As far as needing another channel for shifting.. well obviously you should realize now that you don't. What the third channel is for is for the reverse module. It is actuated by a lever that a third servo moves. You would need to install the reverse module in the tranny, as well as a third servo in the radio box, and have a 3 channel radio and reciever to actuate it in order to have reverse capabilty. I have it in both my Savages, and it's great for bashing.. get stuck on a root, rock, in front of an imovable obstacle? Just hit the switch, drive backwards, and shift back to forward once you're clear. Very helpful. If you're racing, it is generally illegal to have reverse in your truck. I don't race the Savage yet, so it's not an issue. By the way, the 3 speed transmission is also automatic, and works exactly the same way as the 2 speed, only with one more gear, and one more clutch to activate it. Have fun!
Vinny

thanks guys, i feel a bit of a dummy now but if u don't ask u never find out. i can see me goin for a 3speed soon. i think iv confused the 3 speed with the reverse and thats where i got the third channel stuff from. now i understand. amazing technology goes into these trucks. I'm in love!LOL

3 speed is gonna be my next upgrade after I fix my reverse module which I loved for all 15 minutes that it was working.

Just to let you know Wullie the only dumb questions are the ones not asked. Id rather ask and look dumb then screw something expensive up

Very true statment there. Always remember there is someone here to help. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Back