Top Speed of Savage Octane

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trev616

What kind of speeds is everyone getting? I topped out at 27MPH. I know this isn't a speedy vehicle but this is too slow.

maybe running too rich. lean it out a tad and report back.

I have done it all. Rich/lean, doesn't matter. I found it goes a tad faster slightly lean, about 1/12 turn in from factory. Stock gearing as well.

Other things to check; brake linkage not bent or binding or adjusted too tight, Wheel bearings not chewed up, axles not bent, difs move smooth. Basically check out the drive line (shafts, cups and joints, bearings) for any binding and fix accordingly. Check your toe also. Too much in or out will not only reduce handling but I spose it could cause a push resistance of some sort. Hope you find the problem. Aggravating when you know there is better performance and can't find the problem.

I've about had it with this thing. It won't take any throttle anymore. No matter how rich or lean the truck will stall under a quick full throttle. If you pull the trigger gradually it will go. Problem after problem.

Put a Losi cdi on it and try that HPI probably using a Chinese cheapo and it is not up to task

Several people have reported change of CDI solving issues, even though the original one did pass HPI's CDI test scheme, trev616 being one of them.
I have a new CDI on order, non-HPI of course. Swapping crappy stock parts for new stock parts seems like a waste of time, money and frustration to me. Though one would expect HPI to have fixed the problem, how can we trust them?

Last edited:
What kind of CDI are yall going with?

Latest posts

Members online

Back