Tools & Essentials

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Core

being new to the nitro hobby i feel a little under equipped working out of a standard home owner set of mish-mashed tools. what's work bench essential, pit box essential and what spare/extra parts should be stocked and always kept available ?

thanks.

Allen wrenches! Any and all types from L to T's and inbetween lol.
Cordless driver with 1/4 inch adapter for sockets, magnectic parts tray and pick up tools, air compressor if possible, glow wrench and screw drivers/sockets.
Spare glow plugs,clutch parts,and spur gears are nice to have.
I'm sure others will suggest stuff for pits...
Welcome to the forum!

my most-used tools are metric allen-wrenches (hex) in the following sizes : *** Edit*** thx Q!, 1.5mm, 2mm, 2.5mm, & 3mm
Now, i bought a set of sport-werks for about $35.00from my LHS several months ago & it is a decent set but i broke the 1.5mm & rounded the edges on the 2.5mm. You can replace the tip for about $7.00, heres a pick

Two Days Ago- at the Bash, Bankrupter suggested buying these tools from Sears Craftsman for the following reasons:
1. They are 'tool grade' not 'hobby grade'
2. They carry the Craftsman Hand-tool lifetime warranty.
3. They are significantly cheaper. $20.99
4. If you 'round' the tip, you can just cut the wrench back a bit with the dremel and its good as new.
Link- http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946298000P?vName=Tools&cName=Hand+Tools%2C+General+Purpose&sName=Hex+Keys

get an 8mm socket & rachet for your wheel nutz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a 8mm ratching wrench, so you can take the spur gear off easier, without having to remove the transmission cover. Cordless screwdriver is a nice add to the toolbox as well. Plus extras of those likely to break parts, like the others have suggested. A temperature gun so you can keep that engine running at the right temp.

\

I would get a 2mm hex driver also.

Suspension arms, dog bones, shock parts, small flat tip screwdriver for engine tuning.

thx Q, you got my back, wrench sizes are act 1.5, 2, 2.5 & 3mm thx bro, i fixed my original post :resp:

i grabbed a set of hexes from the LHS and trip to sears for other various stuff, a nice set of small pliers, assorted small screw drivers and whatnot.

i should be set for a little while anyway, enough that i can start to put together a box for myself of rc tools only.

thanks for the comments above.

Some of the best Hex wrench's I have found for a great price are the Integy ones. Like the guys said the most common are 1.5, 2.0, 2.5, & 3mm. You will also want a nice Flat and Philip's Screw driver set ( I like the Integy ones as well). Also a Glow plug wrench and a 5.5mm Nut driver comes in handy in many occurrences.

Latest posts

Members online

Back