Too much wrenchin' time

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rody

I'm just kind of thinking out loud, but it seem that we wrench on our trucks way more than we actually run them? It seems as if I'm always trying to fix/replace something, diagnose a problem, take it apart for inspections or cleanings, tuning it, or hopping up this or that. It's like I wrench on the truck all week, and then run it on the weekend. It seems kind of disproportionate.

I realize working on the truck is part of the hobby, and a lot of the enjoyment is making it work just the way you like it, but I'd rather be driving the thing than maintaining it. Anyone else feel this way?

nope. to me, this hobby is about building a model the way you want & pushin it to its limits.

IMO the wrenching is relaxing for me. I can sit in my man loft (spare bedroom) and wrench all day long. Bashing it is just a perk of the hobby for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can Tell you I spend twenty times as much time with tools in my hand than the controler. I love both parts of the hobby. it is the people that don't that fill the list of members here that never sign on anymore they quite and move on. That is fine and I am happy to have had them here while we did. The hobby is not for everyone and a lot of people get the trucks not knowing how much work they require. I along with a great number of people here live for the build it is what keeps us thinking all day what can I do next and how can I make my truck better.

I am the same ....if it's not my truck on the bench it's someone elses I love workin on my trucks and also find itvery relaxing!

Tearing it apart and building her again is a rush. I love it. Learn a bit more about my truck every time. And what I don't know I just ask. I think I like it more than driving it.

i have to agree with everyone, the wrenchin time can be frustrating at first but once you find "your" ideal setup theres nothing like the feeling of your hard work coming to life in your savage monster! lol

Hmm, guess I'm in the minority. I'd much rather spend my time driving. I guess that's why I'm enjoying my Baja so much, although I do pull it apart every once in a while too.

Hmm, guess I'm in the minority. I'd much rather spend my time driving. I guess that's why I'm enjoying my Baja so much, although I do pull it apart every once in a while too.

i wouldnt say your in the minority, i think i've been lucky plus i don't launch my x off huge ramps lol so parts seem to hold up, so alot i've done was just "upgrading" but if i was truly "fixing" it all the time i would be definately discouraged as you are...............

Last edited by a moderator:
Its just like having an old 70's muscle car always needs fixin for improvement. In my thoughts its what your ideal set up is if your not happy with it tare it down fix/change it and try try again until it fits you. I fell that I'm 50-50 on mine but here lately its been more wrenchin time than anything.

I have 2 Savages that are down for the same reason. I'm waiting on a new starter plate, and a pull start to get them back up again. I've been playing around with my old RC10GT, and I forgot how much fun it is. Plus, it's so simple, there's not much to break. I get to drive, and not wrench. I'm loving it!

I'm just kind of thinking out loud, but it seem that we wrench on our trucks way more than we actually run them? It seems as if I'm always trying to fix/replace something, diagnose a problem, take it apart for inspections or cleanings, tuning it, or hopping up this or that. It's like I wrench on the truck all week, and then run it on the weekend. It seems kind of disproportionate.

I realize working on the truck is part of the hobby, and a lot of the enjoyment is making it work just the way you like it, but I'd rather be driving the thing than maintaining it. Anyone else feel this way?
I have spent 10x more time wrenching in two years I've owned my truck (bought used)I've spent several thousand on parts replacement about that much more on fuel (45$ qt) and many hundred on glo plugs my truck cost more monthly than my electric bill for a 4bdrm home I put hpi replacement parts on and drive it carefully I avoid jumping and rough terrain still it's very very easy to break .Vegas isn't a cheap place to buy anything and most shops will sell you the wrong part knowingly if you don't know what you need it's a very expensive hobby cost more than my old Harley shovel to run and repair

The savage is well known for being pretty bullet proof, hence why it’s still around in its original design give or take a couple of changes, so don’t really understand what your doing with yours exactly? 🙄

Exactly right @guinnessdublin, although in my many years in the hobby I have witnessed people who can destroy pretty much anything....
The savage is well known for being pretty bullet proof, hence why it’s still around in its original design give or take a couple of changes, so don’t really understand what your doing with yours exactly? 🙄
I must agree with Jam & Guinnessdublin, I have run savages for almost 20 years and at present have a collect of 13. All nitros. The only things I have had fail on them is spur gears, a cracked crankcase both of which were due to my errors. Apart from that the only issue I have had with the quality of them is the new composite exhausts, have had 4 melt down on me but the older ones where fine. The Flux trucks do seem to bust alot more parts, but then there is alot more strain on everything due to the instant loads and forces put on all the components. On;y yhing I will say is that when you do break something they are absolute pigs to work on.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back