Tominator06's Savage Xl build !!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tominator06

Hello guys as you all know I have a Savage Xl. This is my build thread for my truck. Ok quick history, I ended up with a Savage Xl roller in a trade. I ran it a little while stock but decided to make it into a Puller. I made some custom parts for it and pulled it a couple times before loosing interest. Since I have been on this site I have met lots of great people and seen many nice savy builds so I decided to do mine up as well. I want it to handle well while keeping it bashworthy. I will just keep adding pics as I go along. This is a list of what I have purchased so far.

Stock Hpi Savage Xl, Xtm .457 pro, Fioroni twin turbo clutch, Ercm 221-t Pipe

Hpi Rsc kit
Hpi Aluminum Big Bores
Flm Ext Lcg Tvp and skidplate
Hpi Bulletproof Diffs

I am looking for any ideas you might have regarding my build. Mid tank is the next thing on my list. Thanks for looking

Here is what I am starting with.

savagexl3.jpg

savagexlpipe2.jpg

I already had the bp diffs but am waiting for the rest of the stuff to come in the mail.

Those bulletproof diffs are seriously beefy looking.
33b83a7d.jpg
:rock:

I already had the bp diffs but am waiting for the rest of the stuff to come in the mail.

Those bulletproof diffs are seriously beefy looking. :rock:

Yes they are, I'm getting mine tomorrow for my XL. I'm hoping those bigger bearings last a little better on the ring gear side. I've never even come close to stripping teeth on the stock XL diffs but they start slipping when those bearings go. Your filter looks a little dirty in that one pic LOL.

Got some parts in today!!

Well the mail santa came through today with a couple packages of parts for the savy build. This should get me going. Hey there is no instructions for the rsc. Can I assume the stuff pretty much goes where it looks like it goes? LOL I mean is there any tricks in the instructions I need to know? I am still held up by a mid tank setup. I contacted Prc and he is out of stock for now. I can do the rsc and shocks but don't really want to do the tvp's without the mid tank setup. That way I can locktight mt way as I go. Maybe I will look into a different mid tank plate or possibly make one myself. Any thoughts?? Thanks, Tom

IMG_0058.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice start Tom.

Do you really want us to start listing off stuff to buy and spending your money like that because we can do that O to well. LOL

Still waiting for a few things so its been on hold. I think I will have most everything tomorrow to get going. Messed with it for a few minutes tonight after getting all my stuff out on a work table. Got it tore down now. She needs a good cleaning before reassembly. I should get some decent progress on it this coming week.

IMG_0161.jpg

Nah, they look fine. I have All Tony's Screws on my FLM.

Ok guys You asked for pics here is a start. I got a few hrs in the build yesterday. Had to do a cleaning to start with then I worked on the rsc install. Got the rest of my flm stuff in the mail this week from rc monster.

830abbdc.jpg

I started with the stripped separated front and rearend.

IMG_0211.jpg

I then had to trim a few places on the bulkhead for clearance.

IMG_0212.jpg

This tab on the shock tower needs to be slightly trimmed as well. I will show before and after. I learned on the front that I didn't need to take as much as I did.

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

And the assembled parts as described above.

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Now to complete the front a-arm needs some trimming to clear the steering arm.

IMG_0236.jpg

Once this is done the hubs can be assembled and installed per rsc instructions.

IMG_0232.jpg

Complete front end

IMG_0237.jpg

The rear is straight forward with only the bulkhead and shock tower trimming.

IMG_0238.jpg

Ok thats all for now Here she sits awaiting final assembly.

IMG_0240.jpg

Stay tuned for more build pics. Thanks for looking.

Put a little assembly time in today. Got a little off track after I went and pick up my 2 new mills today . Managed to get some progress.

Flm steering link.

IMG_0250.jpg

Tvp mounted steering servo

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

IMG_0253.jpg

Suspension installation.

IMG_0254.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

She is on her way!!

Lol I now I need a new arm too!!

Latest posts