To run without roll cage or not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilson

I bought a new body and I have been considering taking the roll cage that goes around the motor off so I don't have to cut out such a large hole in my new body. I like having the body set low so the top of the roll bar rests on the cab of the body, it just makes it more ridged for roll overs. This being said I nearly have to cut out the whole back window to get the body low enough.

So I'm just wondering if you all still have that roll cage around the motor on or off your trucks. Obviously the more protection for the motor the better but for the people that have left it off have you ever had and issues breaking your motor or the mounts?

It looks so much nicer without the big ugly cage but I don't want to risk breaking stuff when I have roll overs. Just thought I would ask and see what everyone's opinions were.

I never ever run my trucks without their cages on, it protects the engine head and can save you a bunch of money.....

I always run with the cage on. I used to run without it when I first got my savage and scratched up cooling heads really easy. When I bought my latest engine I started using it and two years later, lots of roll overs and roof slides and engine still looks mint

My Savage 25 didn't come with one. My Nova cooling head was very chewed up in short order.

My Savage 25 didn't come with one. My Nova cooling head was very chewed up in short order.

Oooo, someone else with a nova head. :D

I definitely run the cage, haven't had an issue yet. Without it the engine is a sitting duck.

Right now I run the cage and my head is chewed up some, although I do run my body posts at the lowest settings so that may be why. I'll have to see how the new body fits but I do kind of agree I think I will just trim my new body out to fit the cage.

I have one on my X, but in the past on previous savage's I had, I made one to protect it as the engine takes a beating otherwise. I've busted many fins and crank cases without something protecting the engine. The stock roll bar/cage over the engine was a great addition to the savage in my opinion and should be used for anyone that really bashes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back