To much after-run oil??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motha Trucka

Thursday evenning when I finished running my Savage X I pulled the glow plug and the airfilter and put about 15 drops of after-run oil into the cylinder head, and about 6 drops in the carburator. then I closed everything back up and crancked the engine a few times with my cordless drill. Friday when I went to start my X I had to crank the hell out of it, after a few minutes it started but it would'nt idle very long before it died out. It did this about 3 times before it would idle enough that I could get the truck to move. For about the first 3 or 4 mins it ran TERRIBLE, it would'nt go fast at all, it sputtered, and choked, but gradually it got better, and after about 5 mins it was running fine, acceleration was good, easy to pop wheelies, blus smoke from the exhaust and my temp gun read it was running at 245 degrees, and every time I brought her in to check the temp she idled fine. SOOOO could all the trouble at the beginning have been from too much after-run oil, or could I have a problem somewhere else? If you guys think it's too much after-run oil, could you please tell me how much after-run oil I should put in my truck at the end of the day? And if I might have other problems with the truck could you please tell me what you think?
Thanks Much,
Paul :duh:

I'm no expert but i myself don't even put any in the carb just down the cylinder and i only use like 4 or 5 drops and then crank it over a bit and even then its more stubborn to start then the times i don't use any so it does sound like you may have just over done it a bit with the after run oil no biggie in my opinion!!! but maybe others might have some more input so hang on a while and you will get more opinions my friend!!! cheers!!!!

i put a drop down the carb so it slides smother and prevents gumming up there and 3 drops down the cylinder then put the plug back in and turn over

ya i probabally should be putting a drop or two in the carb as well i guess. but by your comment then you agree 15 drops of after run is way to much and would likely be his problem right?

also turn the engine over with the plug still out. then pop it back in and your golden.

i only use after run oil if I'm not going to be using the truck for a week or more.

i put one drop in the carb...slide the carb in, and out a few times, then i put 1-2 drops in the cylinder, rotate the crank a few times, then i leave the piston as close to the bottom of its stroke as i can (i don't spend much time doing this, just try to get it near the bottom), install the plug, and let the truck sit.

thats all you need to do, ive never had any weird idle, or tough starting issue's.

I'm bad, I fill the carb up and add a bit to the cylinder too. There is a lot of humidity where I live so I don't want to take chances. I haven't noticed any problems from it thus far.

I put 3-5 in the carb and spin it thru. I only pull my plug if my mill is spotless. Which it rarely is....

Members online

Back