To Hop or Not?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredtim

Hi ya. Advice needed. I have a pretty much standard Savage 3.5. I've added a fuel filter, a Failsafe, a Hump Pack, Dual Brake disks and a Ofna throttle/brake linkage mod. I'm also considering a tuned pipe, Hitec servos and a centre plate? Are there any other mods that are adivisable? I'm not really interested in Bling, I just want it to deal with a bit of fun but again nothing to extreme like house jumping!!

only hop up anything that breaks. once u start hoppig up everything for the sake of hopping up, u start getting problems!! not all hop ups are better!

ye i would also say the 3 speed tranny.
4x4

well, I personally am building an alloy monster from the ground up, just for the sake of doing it...LOL

but as far as the minimum I'd do? in addition to the previous mentioned hops, I'd invest in a set of aluminum bulkheads front and rear...they are a HUGE pain in the *** to change out if they break (first repair I had to do to mine, as the previous owner broke it before selling it to me)...choose what parts would be hardest to get to/get apart, and bullet-proof them, so you don't have to take them off/apart...

not that the plastic ones would break easily, but if I had to choose a weak point that I didn't mind changing at the track, it'd be the A-arms themselves...a few screws...pull to pins, and bingo...slap a new one on, and you're off to the races (literally)...to change out a broken bulkhead, you have to tear the front end down to the diffs, dismantling practically everything as you go...

just something to bear in mind... :D

As i said in the last post you made of this hop it up as you break it. As the old saying goes "If it aint broke don't fix it"

As i said in the last post you made of this hop it up as you break it. As the old saying goes "If it aint broke don't fix it"

there's also something to be said for "preventative maintenance"...upgrading BEFORE a break...I much prefer replacing something when I'm sitting at home, on my own terms, than when something breaks at the track, and I can't run again, 'til it's fixed/replaced...huge difference...

if you go by the "If it aint broke don't fix it" method, fine...go back to disposable AA's...no fail-safe...stock servos, etc...those worked before upgrading...right? ever experience a run-away? funny...feels just like a heart attack...LOL

a few things are a given for safety, ie fail safes etc.

hop ups like alloy parts etc arent really nescesary, as the original post says he "I just want it to deal with a bit of fun but again nothing to extreme like house jumping!!", so as long as it runs, get out there and have fun.

a few things are a given for safety, ie fail safes etc.

hop ups like alloy parts etc arent really nescesary, as the original post says he "I just want it to deal with a bit of fun but again nothing to extreme like house jumping!!", so as long as it runs, get out there and have fun.

true, have fun, but how much fun is it when something breaks at the track, that you can't fix without tearing half the truck apart? understood that he doesn't intend to jump houses, but you don't have to perform SMF style bashing to break things...wrecks happen all the time...even during "a bit of fun"...

I'm just saying choose what you'd rather have break, if a wreck happens...choose the breaking point/weak link...

agreed that it's not absolutely necessary, but one day of running, ruined by a broken bulk, makes the expense worthwhile...

i have to say in all my running i have broke 1 screw mount from a savage bulkhead, its not really a weak point compared to other sections, the arms, shock towers and diffs will break long before the bulkhead.

all in all the savage is not very forgiving on parts breaking, most parts are not easy to get to without removing other parts of the truck.

If you have more money than common sence, Upgrade til you can't do any more if not do as everyone is saying: Upgrade after something breaks. Research all possibilities for the best most effective way to upgrade. Man I've been ther done it. I spent twice over with HCR. The only thing that didn't break was the lower a-arms.

i have to agree with KO it is not fun to break things at the track. But evean if you would upgrade every last part on a truck their is still a chace that you will break it. I can't say not to hop up you truck because i have done the same to mine. OPA is right when you decide to start doing hop ups do your research and ask questions about what elese you need to upgrade so the your hop up dose not create a undeisered weak spot. Find the best deal you can on hop ups and plan them out. This hobby can take alot out of your wallet if your not carefull. Not everything has to be new sometimes you can find some good used parts that will fix your ride.

Thanks folks for all your advice. I guess the changes I have already made are the sensible one's, everything else can wait until it gets bent.

Time now to get some air under those wheels

If you don't break it your not bashin hard enough. Bash it like you stole it and most important HAVE FUN that's what it is all about.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back