Titanium Vs Aluminium

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeper341

King of England
Hi, Probably a silly question but as i want to know the answer i'll ask anyway!

Which is better Titanium or Aluminium? Reason i ask is that i just got a bargin on some Hardcore Racing titanium TVP's and Engine mounting plate. But actually have no idea why these would be better than Ali ones.

Thanks
ZZZZzzzzz.....

is that the purple set that was on eBay? I was watching those, but didn't figure I needed them...

I'm not entirely sure that those are made out of actual Titanium (although it's entirely possible), as pieces of actual titanium large enough to make chassis plates would cost more than anyone would be willing to pay for them, I'd wager, unless they are made out of the lesser grade titanium...easiest way to tell (from what I've heard) is to take them to a grinder, and if it makes white sparks, then it's titanium...

Titanium, of course, is better, as it tends to flex, and return to it's original shape/position, where aluminum will bend, and stay bent...check these out!!

http://www.rcplanet.com/flextek_savage_complete_arm_69239_prd1.htm

someday, if I'm ever feeling ridiculously rich, I'll buy those...LOL

I would also like to know if it was the purple set, I own a set of HCR tvp's. Have run them yet due to my engineless Savage. I can't really say what is better cause I honestly don't know.

Putting aside the cost issue, Titanium wouldn't be my choice material for TVP's. You want them to be ridgid, titanium has too much flex and will cause the chassis to contort, this will throw off the gear mesh between the spur and clutchbell, may cause the plastic gearbox to flex and cause damage to the interal gears, cause dogbones to get popped out during a hard landing etc.

Carbon fibre or ally are your best bet if you want to keep things light.

I agree with Lunar in respects to Ti tvps. Had 2 sets one set did just that. I use the other set for a truck that sits as a show truck that's it.

However I'd be intersted in knowing more about Flex tech lower and upper arms. Have anyone ran this and if so what info do they have on them? I just can't get past the cost factor even at $230

Thanks, yes they were on Ebay but they're not purple they are silver and the engine mounting plate is a goldish colour.
But if they're going to flex and cause issues then i'll sell the TVPs and just use the mounting plate. All i really do is bash the hell out of my savvy so I'll stick to stock!

Cheers guys

titanium is stiffer than aluminium, if the hcr tvp's are bending its more than likely the design of the tvps rather than material

if somebody made two identical tvps in aluminuim and titanium id bet the titanium would last longer

you have a point going there Poly. Alum is way thicker but cost a fraction of ti. I think HCR ti is 2mm thick any thinker and the cost would be exorbient beyond what anyone would pay for. Like the Flex tech arms Cheepest I've seen them is $230. I think we are talking about the normal person buying an aftermarket parts at a reasonable price.

Oh I wouldn't trade my HCR engine plate for nothing.

You have 6082 alum like from IRC
you have 6061 alum is standard like FLM
you have CF. WHen VP was in the game it was a 36 layer quasi. I still run those tvps today. Good stuff

I have extreme cf hindge braces ( blue ) there ok cf but they don't hold an once to VP cf. My hinge braces are coming part and they were ca glued. It's a shame he stopped making stuff for the Savage truck.

I'll keep the engine mounting plate then.
As for the TVPs if they're really going to flex that much that they'll cause problems then i'll not bother.

my titanium chassis

titiaium is the best i have nothing but good to say about titainium imposible to drill threw, does not bend like aluminum,and usaly comes with warrnty cant beat that.

Latest posts

Members online

Back