Tire removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanos

I've done all my reading...but how long do I have to boil my tires for in order to be able to remove them from the rim? I boiled one for like 5 min and couldn't separate it from the rim! Mine is glued all over the rim and not in just 3-4 spots...
Pls help! I need to tape my tires...
Thanks,
Thanos

The tires float so you can only do one side at a time usually. I give them 30 minutes a side and than toss in the next tire. You should be able to remove it after it cools some. If not toss it in for another 10 minutes on the side that still is sticking.
Just go easy. If you pull too hard and the glue hasn't decided to let go yet you will rip your tires. Been there, done that.

wow! 30 mins... that's why I gave my tire a nice scar!!!! thanx alot.
By the way... there is no destortion of the rim?
thanos

oh! I have to mention that after I managed to remove one tire (with a nice deep scar on the side), I found out that with a little effort you can do the tire-tape mod by only having one side removed (the other side still on the rim). This saves time i guess...

Thanos

I have boiled a set of rims like 5 times now and the only thing it did was make the chrome finish cloudy. It didnt warp them or make them brittle.
just make sure to get all the old chunks of glue and rubber out before gluing the tires again. they will stick much better if cleaned up. Also dremil/sand and glue off the bead of the tire if possible.

Try the oven method. Alot less mess and its quicker. Make sure to wear a pair of thick gloves. I put them in for 15 minutes at 250 deg. Remove the tires from wheels when they are still warm.

Latest posts

Members online

Back