The "secret project"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcnut14

I give bad advice
IMG_1515.JPG

Ok, so as some of u guys may know, I have a secret project now. so, today, I'm going to show it to u. this is an ertl 8420 john deere. as some of u know, I am a farmer. this was something that I saw on rcsparks. he has an articulating that he started, but never finished. I'm open to suggestions on how just to convert it to rc. I'm thinking of a 1/10 trail truck drivetrain? ill probably go with a 34t brushed motor, and I have an old duratrax esc that ill use. I'm not sure about the radio yet, I depends on what accessories I put on it. I'm going with beadlocks for the tires/rims, and I'm trying to find a small NiMH battery pack. is there a small 7.2v NiMH pack out there? so, ill have to buy some stuff. I'm waiting on my paycheck, so it might be a little while until I start converting it. I hope to start tearing it down soon. ill keep u guys posted!

ok, so ive been working on it a little, and need some help. there's a little pin holding the hood on. how do I get it out? I pushed, pulled, and tried everything. the hood's plastic, so I cant grind it out. also, I cant figure out the wheels. anyone have any experience with these?

IMG_1516.JPG
IMG_1518.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG

Looks like that "pin" is actually a rivet of some kind, prolly grind off the head and punch it thru the body.... far as the rear wheels I need a better pic of what is holding it on. kinda looks like a hex drive of some kind, not sure tho.... you will prolly find the wheels are pressed onto the axles...

sorry, that's all I can get. I cant get in there{ that's what she said:)}. it looks like that round part is pressed onto the axle{the center} and I think that there is a stopper inside the rim. as for the pin, I really don't want to grind it off since the hood is plastic and I don't want to damage it. but I need to figure out both since I cant continue otherwise

well if you are careful I suppose you can cut the head off with a sharp chisel, but drilling it off is prolly better, for the rear axles you will have to remove that collar somehow, I would cut it off with a dremel wheel and use a dubro wheel collar to hold them back on , that is if you are going to reuse them in your build....

no, I said in my original post, I using beadlocks. I didn't even think about drilling it out:banghead: ill try that. what about the driveline and battery?

Well I can think of several ways to do what you are wanting, a 4 link setup for the rear will possibly work, but you using beadlock wheels you are losing the look of the tractor, but if thats what ya wanna do then use your imagination a bit and see what happens...

seems a few pages read on suspension design is what you need, it is called research not 20 questions, I could build it for you but then you have not gained any knowledge and doing this stuff knowledge is POWER.....

ok, I have a driveline in mind I think. what about the battery? I need something small

ok, so I was thinking about how I could do the front end for awhile. then I noticed something! its set up for an rc front end already! it has the mount points for the a-ams, and the shocks. in fact, it looks like a toy version of an rc front end. I thought I would mount the a-arms to the chassis like my evader does. it uses pins,{ like a savage} but they have e clips on the ends. I was thinking 1/12 scale? does that sound right? any one know what truck has this style front end?

so, here's what ive been doing tonight

Attachments

• IMG_1530.JPG
    IMG_1530.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1532.JPG
    IMG_1532.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1534.JPG
    IMG_1534.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1537.JPG
    IMG_1537.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 1
hey guys, I need some help. I need a moa rear for this. it has to be about 100mm and a straight axle{ no turn buckles like the savage} any ideas?

Well there are not many MOA trucks out there any more.... so I fear you will have to do some design work using readily available parts to complete this build.....or do a design all yours using a setup with some kind of links holding your setup to the chassis... either way ya go have fun with it....

I'm about to fed the little one so I haven't got to watch most of the video but I do have a quick question for you. What toy manufacture makes this tractor?

Also is there enough room within the "frame" of the tractor to fit all your electronics (motor, ESC, receiver, etc)? For the plow, how heavy is it? You might be able to use a small Savox SH-0350 or similar. The SH-0350 would be able to lift about 2 pounds.

I would just use a servo in front and use as many of the stock parts I could on it after all it is just for steering and isnt gonna be that stressed,for the rear I would probably use a solid axle like the pan cars use and go with a direct drive setup, heck ya could even have a diff just like they do, ya you will have to fashion a motor mount to do this but it looks to be the best bet far as i can see, on to the disc setup, if ya use a servo linked to that pivot it should be perfectly able to raise and lower the entire thing up and down, most of what I propose involves cutting and shaping parts of the frame and also making the mounts ALWAYS wear proper :eyes: protection and enjoy the build process, nothing will ever get done right without some forethought as to how and why, if you hurry through the process you will probably end up with a pile of useless junk laying around forever....

yea, I don't need to rush it
woodie: it is made by ertl, so the frame is all metal. as for room, my idea is to put the esc in on side of the gas tank, micro receiver in the other side, and the battery I linked should fit in one of those tsc gift card tool boxes on the back{ like I said in the vid}. it should give my extra space, yet still loo cool. as for weight, i'd say 2-3 lbs.

jam:like I said in the sbox awhile ago, the steering stock is not sqare, plus, I want bearings. I could do direct drive, we'll see what happens. and yes, I always wear:eyes: protection

ok, got my check today, but because of availability issues on the parts, I have to wait until Monday to order them. i'll be doing the build on camera, as well as unboxing the parts. stay tuned!:)

parts ordered, via amazon, except the servo, which I won't be able to order until fri-mon. (savox is having trouble with the shipment). but, I;ll still do an unboxing as soon as I can. hopefully by the end of the week/early next week

I would be looking at 1/10 scale stuff for that suspension, maybe something like old rc10 parts arms, hub carriers and related parts.... they are narrow enough and should fit what you are trying to setup.....

Latest posts

Members online

Back