The Savage Rebirth

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AoD

Alright, it's been a rough few weeks for the savage. After the shock injury and some other problems it was back into complete teardown mode.

However, a really good friend helped me out with some excellent parts to help fix my savage back to potential. This is a thread about how it came to pass.

First, the shock was destroyed, and with school and life I couldn't afford jack crap to be able to replace it. School is hard on my wallet, and it sat on the shelf for almost a month before I could do anything with it.

before.jpg

That's all that was majorly wrong with it. However, my bud had different planes. After a 3 day wait, I got some stuff in the mail. And I'll let the pictures do the explaining. If my friend wanted known, I'd surely let you know. But I gotta toss him the props anyways as he helped more than EVER. THANKS BUD!!!!!!!!! This is awesome!

Now, for the pictures :

This is what came in the mail for me. More than enough bolts too. The next package was awesome as well! Just keep looking through the pictures! However, these pictures are different sizes as the quality was reduced too much if they were made smaller. So, a couple are bigger to maintain quality. Check them out.

theset.jpg

Who ever thinks CEN shocks aren't good was WRONG. These are bigger then the BIG BORES!!! I'm not kidding either, I compared them at the LHS a couple weeks ago. And these things are officially bigger bore :D

cenvsstock.jpg

I hope this cup works well with shims I used! :D

step1.jpg

Aww, look at the pretty couple :p

bulktowr.jpg

Steering linkage rub.. Dangit! Nothing is ever simple as tightening bolts. Time for the dremel and Xacto knife! Check it out!

steerprob.jpg

steerfix.jpg

A comparison of the stock and FLM/CEN setup.. Which one looks tougher? :D

stockvsup.jpg

Those CEN's really make it look beefy!

thetwins.jpg

Those should make one heck of a team eh? So, let's see how it turned out!

Here's a picture of the final build. After rebuilding everything that I was able to rebuild. Including rebuilding my midtank mod in a better fashion.

after.jpg

Yes, I love the Racer's Edge orange zip ties. They are so tough and easy to use. And it flares a bit on the savvy. So I use them on everything.

All in all, here's the build:

FLM Combo Bulkheads
FLM Universal Shock Towers
FLM Diff Cups
CEN Genesis Shocks
Platinum RC Product Hellfire Midtank Mod
2.5 T-Maxx (Chevron) Tires and Rims

And there you have it. One post, one project completed. This is why I haven't been on the forums lately. I've been finishing everything up perfectly. Everything is bolted down and ready for war. :) I hope to get to test it's durability soon! However, here's a quick video of it moving on it's own! :D

Savage Reborn

I love it so far, and I think it'll handle itself quite well! :)

I forgot to mention. In this video.... I had the slipper set to 1/2turn out. This way I could break the differentials in and get them lubed well. This way I would get a bad bind with a lot of power directly on the diff. The slipper was slipping a good bit as you could probably tell.

Also, I know it's slow. It's not meant to be fast. It however WILL climb hills better now. And when I say hills, I'm talking BIG hills once it's finished. :) Thanks for looking at my thread though guys! Let me know what you think!

LOL Sunken. It's about time something useful came in the mail here too. Bills are horrible. I've actually gotten used to ONLY getting bills in the mail now. LOL This was a delightful change actually. First time I've waited for the mail to run in a LONG time :)

I've always insisted the CEN shocks look UBER-BEEFY!!! that set-up looks awesome!!! Mean lookin truck man!!

plus, with those shock towers, if you wanted to drop it for some on-road style cornering, you've got TONS of options...

Last edited by a moderator:
AoD you should of got the flm steering link .. would have been a direct bolt on.. and only like 6.00 bucks ..

Nice setup btw . let us know how those shock towers hold up to serious bashing

Currently, I'm running 30k front and 50k rear diff lubes. Not locked in any sense. Next I'm going 100k/100k to get that locked effect. I didn't have a choice as my LHS had to order the 100k for me and told me it would at LEAST be 2 weeks before they got it. So, this works great for now. It's been jumped a few times but nothing serious. Only 6-8 feet of air off a set of small bleachers with a set of 4x8x1/4" plywood. Quickie ramp design 5 feet high. Soon enough it will see some serious climbing and jumping. However, I will say; with these CEN's the landing from 8 feet are absolutely amazing. I tossed some trinity 25wt shock oil into them and it was perfect. I took all the spacers off of the shocks and it was absolutely amazing. It handles the fall so well without bottoming out. The stockers wouldn't handle 5 feet without bottoming. Now I'm sure that height won't matter in the bottoming out problem as these shocks show some real strength in the ability to absorb a fall. I'll give the shocks and FLM gear a good reviewing soon as I can :)

Glad you all like it; I sure as heck do love it myself. It's like a totally different truck and I'm sure it's going to do some nice climbing with the smaller tires and the 49T spur. My next plan is a 52T spur with a 14 or 15T clutch bell. Then it'll max around 30mph or so but have the torque of a tank! :D

killer truck man keep it up and good luck with school
++rep

Thanks for the kind words about school man. It's my main priority as the savage will never be until I'm finished. So far after my first full semester I'm pushing a 3.75 GPA because of one B in a class that wasn't the best of learning methods LOL But it's great knowing that I'm going to do something with my life! :)

well on my truck i run a locked rear and in the front i run no smoke, thats the thickest oil i found.i think its thicker than stp.
going straight the front acts locked but they will be like open when I'm turning.

Mid-tank mod

I'm brand new to the rc world and have heard a lot of talk
about half tank lean. I have seen a lot of mid tank and was
wondering if you had pics and description of what you did.
Your help would be great!

Thanks

Aod, nice build. I'd love to be able to get packeges like that in my mail box. Your gonna love the the Cen shocks. I just switched over to them a few weeks ago and wow, what a difference. I haven't played with shock oils yet, but I played around with the pre-load spacers, either way I run them, the truck doesn't bottom out. With no spacers, it doesn't bottom out from about 4-5ft. in the air. With the small and big spacer, it hops back up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back