the new 3speed gears help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkslopekid

hi guys i just got the new 77065 3speed gear ,i got the new gear that goes on the pinion shaft to go in ok,but the 3speed gear i tryed to get that to go in and its been hell,1st i couldnt get the pin to go in to lock the gear on the shaft,so i looked at the 2 gears the new ger is thicker,did any one have the same problem or i just got a bad gear i ordered a new one to try it 1 more time,but if any one out there can help thanx,

Thats interesting. There are a few guys here in the process of installing that upgrade. Have to wait a how it turns out.

3speed

no theres nothing missing just that,the new gear i got was thicker then the stock 3speed gear,i will up date once i get new set, thanx for reply

I have heard/read that the new HPI High Speed third gear kit does not go together correctly. You are probably followong the instructions correctly. The parts just do not fit together. Contact HPI.

Are you taking about not being able to get the screw on the third gear clutch in? I did notice that the new gear is definitely thicker than the stock one.

man i hope that someone gets it in and can let everyone know how it dose. If it makes a big difference i will be getting one

I have heard/read that the new HPI High Speed third gear kit does not go together correctly. You are probably followong the instructions correctly. The parts just do not fit together. Contact HPI.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ +1. Hope they can resolve the problem.

All over other forums are people saying it doesn't fit...HPI screwed up BIG TIME!
You think they wouldn't release something like this without testing it out first...

Easy there guys. This is from a friend at HPI that read this thread.....
send us a picture along with copy of the receipt to [email protected]
and it will be taken care of for you.

I'll be picking mine up on Sat. It just came in today. I'll look everything over after I get it picked up and see if I have the same prob. as everybody else. I'll keep ya'll posted.

I have the same problem, Worst part for me is I don't think I have the reciept I preordered it a while back. 2 of them too.

I might just try to use the dremel on the thicker gear if I can do it without messing it up? Or I was thinking about making the hole a bit larger but probably best to just get the correct parts.

What I have been able to do so far, I just used a file and filed around on the end of the pin/grub screw at the bottom and I am able to get the pin threads started, but when I go to tighten it it starts to bind up. since I have an extra grubscrews I think I may try to dremel around the diameter of the boittom part of that rod and see if I can get it to go in without binding. I am anxious to see hiw this thing works, and I think they may be a while if they have to retool that gear. Though we may just get smaller diameter grub screws, don't know?? It is a very small amount off, you can easily get the allen key in place

I will let you know what happens

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy there guys. This is from a friend at HPI that read this thread.....
send us a picture along with copy of the receipt to [email protected]
and it will be taken care of for you.

see lots of people watch just to see what a great site this is.

Lets not send the wrong message. HPI has always stood behind they'r product's IMO.

we are talking about the new 3speed gears that go in side the 3speed tranny,the will give you more topend then the stock 3speed gears.

yes, exactly. Unless you already have the 3-speed set-up. If you don't, It's cheaper to buy the kit version then it is to buy the pre-assembled one. Especially if you already have a Savage X (any model X) and have the easy access diffs and trans case. Which, everyone here will agree with.

Ok then first you have to purchase a three speed then purchase this kit.

yes, it is either aviable as kit or pre assembeled and gives 10% more top end and faster bottom end. then the new hs 3rd speed gear kit replaces the 3rd speed gear from the 3 speed transmission and adds 15% top end

Does this gear add 15% more power on top of the claimed 10% more power that the original 3 speed gives? Is it a total of 25% more power than the 2 speed or 15%?

man i hope that someone gets it in and can let everyone know how it dose. If it makes a big difference i will be getting one

It'll give you potentially just under 15% more top speed, so if you've got the power to pull the taller gear, it will make that difference. Nothing else will change. Also, every truck (engine, tune, tire, condition, etc.) is different, so only use the experience of others as a general guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3-speed transmission, in kit or assembled form gives virtually no top-speed improvement; less than 1%. Don't believe HPI's claims to the contrary. I've contacted them about it and they couldn't refute my assessment. This true for both the "standard" 3-speed and the Savage X 3-speed.

The #77065 does what the 3-speed should have done all along: it changes the gearing for third gear by just under 15%, so potentially (if you have the power to pull the taller gear) you can get 15% more speed at the same engine rpm.

Again, the 3-speed tranny does nothing for top speed, only the #77065 high-speed 3rd gear set added to the 3-speed tranny will improve your top speed over the 2-speed transmission.

hI,

I was thinking about you and the calculations you did in a post a while back. when I recieved my HS set.

Kind of wondering if that is why they came out with this upgrade, just wish we could use them now. I wonder what the fix for the thick gear will be?? I it is a new gear I think it could take some time.

Does anyone know if any of these sets work?

Hey Wister,
I'm disappointed to hear about the gear thickness problem! I wonder if it's been solved and if updated gears are being shipped. I wish I had some time to install a set in my 3-speed to see if it'll fit. Pretty amazing that this happened and the products got out to the public en masse.

Yes, it was a big mistake, someone is bumming., but we all make mistakes from time to time.

I tried to lessen the dia. of the rod/grub screw but it binds up almost as soon as I start to tighten it. A rod by itself (one without the threaded end) will fit in easily. what I think I am going to try is, I put one of the extra unthreaded rods in place and it fits perfectly right to the end, so I think I will try taking just a grubscrew (without the unthreaded rod on it, like the one that goes in over the threaded rod) and grinding a bit off the bottom, then cutting off just the length of the grinded grub screwfrom a unthreaded rod. then putting the unthreaded rod in place and then putting the grub screw n to keep it in and assembling it and giving it a try, even if it doesent work, or last long I don't think it will hurt anything.

I will let you guys know.

I just received an email from HPI, as usual they are sending out a replacement gear right away.

I don't know if I got the last one or if they are only sending one out per person right now so they can help as many people as possiable. I have 2 sets of these gears and they are only sending one now, they said they will send the other later when they receive more updated parts.

OFFICIAL WORD

I just received a call from our distributor and HPI is recalling the #77065 high-speed gear sets, I was told full replacement sets will be sent out for all of them, and it sounds like the replacements will go through the dealers. They're not exactly sure when the new sets will be on their way, but he did say "soon."

So, anyone want a set of mis-machined high-speed gears? ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Back