THE JUDGE'S (bling-bling) LRP Spec 3 Setup!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE JUDGE

Ah yes...I finally got my act together and I now have an engine package to match my FLM setup. I got camera-crazy again, see below...:drunk:

I wanted a fast, reliable setup without spending toooo much, and I wanted it to all work together, so I'm replacing everything from CB to pipe.

Here's the parts list...
  • LRP 32802 Z.28R Spec 3 pullstart engine
  • Nova head for LRP .28
  • Nova adjustable engine mount for Savage
  • Nova 3-pc. aluminum clutch shoes
  • Mugen C0708 1.0mm clutch spring set
  • Mugen C0704 Sg crankshaft pilot nut
  • HPI 77107 17T vented racing clutchbell
  • HPI 87198 air filter
  • HPI 86271 flywheel
  • 2x 5x10 ABEC-5 shielded clutchbell bearings (no part number, got them from Ebay)
  • Ofna 10099 clutchbell shim kit
  • THS 8025 tuned pipe & manifold

LRPZ28RSpec3002.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3003.jpg

The Nova stuff is just beautiful...nicely machined 7075 aluminum. However, I did have to trim just a bit off of the right rear mounting ear to clear the LRP's large backplate. It wasn't near enough material removed to cause the slightest bit of weakness, though.
LRPZ28RSpec3011-1.jpg

Here's the Mugen nut on the flywheel. (Note: the brass cone included with the LRP is ever-so-slightly smaller than the HPI cone, and it slips into the flywheel to far. Re-using the old cone did the trick.)
LRPZ28RSpec3004.jpg

Nova clutch shoes installed with the Mugen springs...(Thanks for the great review Jester! :resp:)
LRPZ28RSpec3005.jpg

I put the set screws in holes #1...we'll see how it does there.
LRPZ28RSpec3006.jpg

Vented CB, bearings and shims installed...
LRPZ28RSpec3007.jpg

...And here it is ready to go, with the air filter and the THS pipe. I sure like the spring coupler from the pipe to the manifold...no more leaky coupler! I found the pipe for $60, it should rip just fine. Pretty too...
LRPZ28RSpec3008.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3010.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3011.jpg

I'll throw it in the truck this weekend and take a few more pics (of course) right before I break it in. It probably won't look this nice and clean ever again!

awsome setup buddy!!! it will blow your mind how much power you will have!!! and great pics thanks for posting them!!!!

That is an awesome set up Judge. I'm interested to see how good it works so let us know. That is exactly what I would like to do.

Well I say awesome setup but I have the same less the pipe and every one else said that already.Step the 17 up unless you like being on your lid! I'm 47/19 FLM EXT/Buku and still faster than my K4.6 HO 17/47. Yes thats off the line and top end. Break it in and think that bell over. It has the power to spin much taller gears...

Yea I run same as Bank ..on my surefire .32r buku
I love the ofna shim kit .. one of the best "bang for your buck " items out there

Thanks for the info, Bank and Jester...I just went with 17T as a good starting point, since it's what I had before. (Also, it was $12 with a new HPI flywheel, so I couldn't refuse, LOL.)

I'm sure I'll end up gearing up, maybe even with a Robinson 46T spur. Will the HPI racing CBs work with those? Are they hard enough? :dunno:

Either way, I'm good to go for now...I'm almost embarassed at how blingy the Savage looks now. At least it isn't a shelf queen!
LRPZ28RSpec3012.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3017.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3015.jpg

I also relocated the fuel filter so I could run shorter lines...
LRPZ28RSpec3016.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3013.jpg

LRPZ28RSpec3014.jpg

Yep, that was me a from a few years ago...Still got the car too.

Cool pics of Savage as usual and Race car looks like a bomber class that we used to have at here at the local short track.
Don't run a HPI spur with the Robinson-get a matched set for sure.

Shocks ????? about the only thing else you can do

I just so happen to be waiting on the big-bores, whenever that happens, haha!

Other than that...we'll see what I can destroy in the driveline and go from there. I'm sure I can grenade something, and then have to upgrade...

The LRP is very strong...so far, no troubles and it hauls.

No videos though (no cameraman).

Last time I ran it, it was still pretty rich, but it would wheelie on grass no problem at all. On the street, it wouldn't wheelie, and that made me wonder...until I noticed that the LRP plus the Nova shoes would hit so hard it was spinning all 4 GT2 tires on takeoff. (Pretty cool!) If I get time this weekend, I'll take it back out and start leaning the LRP a little more.

Very nice savage, I love the nova combination, I acutally have the lrp sitting at my local postal outlet awaiting me to pick up on monday when I get my paycheck:) arrived on tuesday last week, its one hard wait knowing my motor is just a reach away:)

I'm curious to the answer of this as well. My ported 4.1 doesnt wheelie yet but I'm also still tuning!

wow thats kinda strange as my savage x rtr with the 4.1 wheelied quite easily running with the stock gearing 49/15 and the engine was stock!!

yea either a tuning issue or the motor is dead or something, 15/49 gearing is almost instant wheelies with anything.

Judge you should get a video up if at all possible of your truck, Id love to see how it goes.

wow thats kinda strange as my savage x rtr with the 4.1 wheelied quite easily running with the stock gearing 49/15 and the engine was stock!!

yea either a tuning issue or the motor is dead or something, 15/49 gearing is almost instant wheelies with anything.

Judge you should get a video up if at all possible of your truck, Id love to see how it goes.

I'm running same extended flm/mugen tank setup as the judge which is probably why I'm not getting wheelies. motor cant be dead the truck has tons of top end and my friend who has tons of rc experience tuned it so he would have noticed it being dead. with my stock tvp's yeah wheelies everywhere!!!

Any updates on the motor? I'm curious since I'm looking into a motor soon. either the lpr or os vg 30.

Members online

Back