THE DYNAMITE MACH 28 "not a run of the mill" Mill.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOBEEWHA

HPISF languist expert
-
================================================= INTRODUTION ================================================

I picked up a Dyna 28 a few months back durring the indoor months and have been itching to break her in. For about a buck and a half,($150)
you can slap one in your Savy and go.(HPI polished pipe recommended) This motor is factory rated at 3.6 HP which is a nice little can of
"HWOUP ***" for the coinage.

Now,... from what I understand about HP Dyno tesings done by the companies that rate and sell thier own mills, they tend to inflate their
findings in clever ways to portray bigger in bigger numbers, anyway they can justify them.... Just ask megabytem on that one...lol. Even so, by
many accounts, the Dynamite 28 is a contender in the above average RTR mill and yet, below spec.3, in class.
With an actual 1.87 HP at 28,000 rpms, This baby's got some grunt.

To get a picture of what I'm comparing the dynamite 28 to, The hpi k4.6 has a factory rating of 2.7 HP but actually is more likely pushing 1,35
HP according to fair and equal dyno comparisions. OK... that can be explored on a different thread. At least, this is what I want to find out.

With the reputation of the 28's revised little brother, the Mach 26 that proforms like a 28.... I cant help but think that this motor just might
have some promise going for it. Not to mention the "down the road" port 'n polish afterlife treatment which I intend to do after a few gallons into
it's life span. That process will be considered the second chapter in this thread.

I want the members of this forum to have an influence on the outcome of this break-in process. This thread is about what experiences you've
had with this engine. The pro's and con's. I will be posting the progress of my break-in and hope to be providing pics. along the way soon.
I'm a noob when it come's to the nitro world. That being said, this post should to be taken as an introductory to the break-in of a better than
average mill compared to an RTR. And NOT a full out racing engine.

All comments and/or feedback is welcomed and incouraged. All I ask is to post your comments in the spirt of this engine class.

Any of you guys and gales that have Dyna 28's are incouraged to tell your story about the engine, also. This means you to, SantaClaw, ect....lol.

================================== And thanks for any feedback in advance.============================================
-

Last edited by a moderator:
-
============================================ 06-20-07 == THE BREAK-IN ================================================

Well,... My camera was down for the pictorial "seal the engine" chapter. I've notice Santaclaw has already done a posting of this step with his Mach 28.
I will post a link to this spot so that there's a refference.

This is a link to a thread by J T. It has a pictorial of the Dynamite Mach 28 being sealed by Santa claw, One of trhe forum members here. Check it out
for the first step and this break-in process.

============================https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1511==============================

Looking ahead for a moment:
I now reached a half gallon of break-in w/20% nitro-18% oil fuel. I call this a SAFE break in by all accounts. The mill is definately getting some treatment
compared to the average RTR mill. The sleeve and crank shaft, both bare indications of a touched vapor path with notched ventrical cuts and rounded
port locations on thier surfaces.

The objective:
I profomed a complete seal on this mill before I began it's break-in process. I'm getting some unusual tuning behavior due to the fact that I'm forcing the
1 gallon break-in, as apposed to say, 5 -7 tank break-in. the motor seems to really want a leanner tune, yet I won't give it because I want more heat
cycles and fuel lube to season the "pinch" before final tune. This is probably overkill for this mill to recieve this much attention to break in.

The Methods:
At every cool down, I place the piston @ BDC, as it seems to be paying off with a nice firmness in the pinch with the plug removed. Since this break-in
is taking place in an LST, I figure you'll have to ask me to post pics just out of respect for the Savage nature of the forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mach 28 will be relocated into the SS Savage. I then might take on the possibillity of touching the k4.6 with the dremel treatment. That will be a
different thread.

I am having a hell of a time getting good return pressure from the pipe return line. I've checked the filter, fuel lines, pipe nipple, ect. Losi sport pipes
suck.lol. Looking for an HPI polished pipe w/ headder and silicon.

=========================================== 06-30-07 == PROGRESS REPORT =============================================

Beecause I chose to do this break-in on a brand new LST, this has allowed for some unexpected headaches to occure. This goes with any new ride, I
believe. If I had known what lye ahead, I would have just used my savage for the break-in process because of the smooth working history I already
have with it. Here's where a break-in bench would have saved some headaches.

In short, the LOSI LST1 Sport Pipe has, and still has, some kind of wierd obstruction in the back pressure outlet and was causing an un-nessessary
tuning issues. My bud finally suggested to check this part of the system out, and low and behold.... NO frigin pressure....What the hell. There is a well
lodged obstruction in the pipes outlet nipple. I can't seem to clear out the outlets obstruction.

I just discovered my k4.6's problems durring my crazy-*** jump fest. After a major rebuild, I figured, why not just transfer the Dyna over to where it's
going to be anyway? Thinking my k4.6 was running so good and had what appeared to be it's whole life ahead of it, I was going to leave it in for a while
and enjoy what I thought, to be the benifits of a well cared for mill. This was not to be....And this, is off subject, also.

================================================ HEAT CYCLES ======================================================

The Savage and is going to be picking up where it left off.__ So far, This is the history of it's break-in since the date above using a Losi sized tank:

(Tank 1) Idol'd whole tank with 3 heat cycles @ 225 degrees. I was able to get these temps up by taking some 2 inch wide, metal HVAC ducting tape,
and created a cylinder to keep the heat in.

(Tank 2) Same as tank 1 w throttle blips / 4 heat cycles.

(Tank 3) Same as tank 2 w/ 5 heat cycles @ 225 degrees.

(Tank 4) Same as tank 3 w/ slow driving and random blips w/ 5 heat cycles.

(Tank 5) This is where I began to have pipe issues. I managed 3 more heat cycles and set the breaki-in aside until now. Currently: 20 heat cycles
completed.

==== At this point, I'll be counting heat cylces, rather than tanks, due to the fact that the mill will be put in the Savage which has a smaller tank.====

The Savage has a different look to it since the earlier pics in the gallery. It's been 85% rebuilt and now has the stock shocks. Its never been this tight
since I first built it. It's now getting some extra support from some aluminum cross supports and upgraded screws and bolts.

================================ You will see a change in the shock setup very soon.===========================================
-

OS_30_Dyna_28_installs_007.jpg
OS_30_Dyna_28_installs_009.jpg

OS_30_Dyna_28_installs_006.jpg
OS_30_Dyna_28_installs_007.jpg

-
-
Hey mikeh, How ya do'in bud. Yea... I hope it has the content for those who want to know this stuff. Oh....excuse me...Time for an update...

===================================================== UPDATE ====================================================

Ok... after relocating the mill to the savage and a few minor linkage adjustments, the Dynamite 28 is now opperarting properly.

I completed another 4 heat cycles and noticed that shes coming to life. She was held back with a previous pressure return condition from the sport pipe.

===============I've been informed that LOSI Sport Pipes make good Windchimes.===============

As the fun factor begins to make its way in the the break-in.... I thwacked a curb, and disabled the savage, again....DOEUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......lol.

============= Oh well... progress has been slowed, once again. But fear not.... I'll be at this front end alignment issue, PDFQ.================
-

-
===================================================== 07-07-07 === UPDATE=================================================

Ok... Got three more heat cycles in and the temps are rizing. The mill is also becoming more difficult to keep tune with the 20% fuel I've been force feeding it.
So, I'm going to switch to 30% O'donnell's, after the 1 gallon break-in.

This is with the intention of getting cooler running temps. I'm also going to begin some tweaking on the needles. I hope this does the trick.
As of now, I got a total of 27 heat cycles at about 3/4 of a gal.

Having already read Rick Brakes, Stephen Bess indorsed artical about his comments regarading break-in procedures. I have my doubts in my break-in regiment here.
But, I feel need to follow through with the methods I've employed to see their results through.

I would be making better time if I wasn't in the process of hopping up the Savage with some other upgrades. I'm looking for mis-placed parts. Dang!..

================================================ OK.. It's BEER:thrity =======================================================
-

-
================================================= UPDATE === 07-11-07 =======================================================

As you can see....There's been a change in the susspension. Yea Buddy!!! But thats a different thread...

Four more heat cycles were completed and the Dynamite Mach 28 is running stronger, faster, better than before.lol And with increased response time at the trigger.
She pulls wheelies at half throttle like as if it was all child's play. Still the some bogging due to forced richness settings. But for a $150 mill,... This engine has still
got a tight-a$$ pinch!!!

This tight pinch is primarily due to the mills design specs. The other is because of the efforts in preserving the pinch's tightness.

With a regimented rutine of always placing the piston at BDC, combined with a rich tune that gives the motor a chance to seat the piston, I want to run this beast
as rich as posible.

The Goal.... Create a seated piston with well tempered pinch.

This thing was dying for more nitro content. So, I mixed in some some 30% on top of the 20% that it's been congested with. This helped in reducing the temps,
mostly. Too much oil has a reverse effect in the area of protection at a certain point. That being a statement from Rick Brake, in so many words.

I think I was on that fine line with this issue and Yet, I think I addressed it in time. When the mill hits the 1 gallon mark, I'll tear it down and clean the crap out of it.
I will be focussing on the piston head surface. The idea here is to remove any baked on residues of the fuel oils and carbons that will build up from unwanted high
temps that can occure.

This engine is already showing some crazy-A$$ traits that my buds platinum is doing. And that thing is breaking driveshafts at one gallon.

The difference in mills here is that the Mach 28 is $85 less, street price. Don't get that wrong here. The Platinum is a spec 3 level mill that delivers HP at a higher
rpm range. I'm just happy that things are coming together because of the patients and disipline in the the break-in rutine. As it is now, this mill is already smok'in
the K4.6 big time.

========================================More updates as soon as they occure.===================================================

---------------------------------------------------- GOT COMMENTS? START POSTING.
-

-
====================================== UPDATE === 07-11-07 =========================================

Durring the break-in runs I ran yesterday, I must of taken a hit to the fuel tank, or maybe it happened when the Integy tank guard
(or should I say "tank puncturing" tank guard ) busted off and crushed the tank.

Either way, My tank revealed a crack on the inner side, facing the engine. After prepping the spot with a little nitro cleanner on
the crack and a clean wipe, I applied some hot glue on the crack and it worked!! Thank you Savagecre for the glue gun.

As soon as I fired up the truck, I noticed a definate improvement in idolling behavior and proformance. Obviously, I had a pressure
loss issue from the crack, complicating my tunning efforts throughout the break-in.... Doeugh!!!...lol.

Now, the bogging has lightened up, Four more heat cycles completed totalling 35.

Needless to say, the pinch is doing fine. And I'm still placing the piston at BDC, each time the engine stops to cool.

=================== One more quart to go and then its "fine tune time" with my preffered fuel.=======================
-

-
======================================== UP DATE === 07-12-07 ============================================

Five more heat cycles now make 40, total.

I'm at 7/8 of gallon and the warm up area is now way too small for this mill. She's now consistant in her temps between 220 -230 degrees.
Her "pinch" is as tight as the day I popped her.

Never had to change a plug probably due to the fact that the lsn could have been a little richer than I had it. Going through at least one
plug durring break-in is not a bad thing at all.

Nevertheless, She's doing everything I want too see, for the level mill she is, and more. It's still too early to get in to any conclusions with
this mill. But, as I proceed, I have no complaints.

The next Up Date will likely be the finishing of the 1 gallon mark. I'll continue posting comments throughout the life of this mill as a
refference to my history with her. Much like a journal of sorts.

This mill's future, if the powers that be allow it, will have a port and polish after a few gallons down the road.

========== Questions and comments pertainning to this threads subject matter continue to be welcomed and incouraged.===========
-

-
========================== UP DATE === 07-14-07 ===============================

Ok... Two more heat cycles and then... DOEUGH!!!.....
Smacked right into a cinder block...DANG!...lol. Busted some aluminum, popped some screws, broke a
bulkhead, and cracked a wheel hub. Other then that..... Everythings just GREAT....

This isn't as bad as it sounds, I guess. I'll be at the LHS tomorrow to get replacements.

============================= Flim at eleven.===================================
-

-
================================ UPDATE =====================================

Got the parts for repairs. 5 more heat cycles conpleted which brings the total heat cycle count to 47.
Now I've got a gallon through her and she's doing fine. Anyone have a reccommended fuel?...

I was thinking O'donnells.
============================================================================
-

Sorry man never ment to affend you. I never said it was a bad thing. Just pointing out that its getting a good old fashion beating like it should.

-
No worries, bro.
I appreiceate the clarification, though. I wasn't sure where you were coming from...lol.

It was like the scene in "Terminator" where Arnold has to choose the appropreate response
for the hotel manager's complaining, as he repairs his face.lol.
Yea.... I boinked the heat sink early on, not listening to my own advice to put some frigin
zip-ties on the damb thing....lol.

The mill came alive early on, and supprised me of the shear power it had in its bag of tricks.
I've since then fixed the fins and head back to straightness.

I installed zip-ties and managed to cover 95% of the scuffmarks I created.
I still need a blue high-liter pen....lol.

It's all good, 89.
-

-
======================= UPDATE 07-17-07 =============================

As I continue to run this mill, I get the impression that the break-in can go a bit longer.

It wants to heat up too much if I lean it some. This must be due to the fact that I haven't
changed the fuel blend yet.

I'm not sure on the reccommended temp zone for this mill, either. I do know the Mach 26
likes a hotter running range like 250-275 degrees which I'm not a custom to doing.

Instead of taking chances, I'm going to do some research to get a better idea of what
I'm dealing with.

==================Oh Ya... 2 more heat cycles totalling 49.====================
-

Wow, thats a lot of engine breaking in. It sounds like a good powerful mill. How many years have you been heat cycling it?
Does starting the engine and driving it and bashing it count as a heat cycle? In that case my S25 motor had 8 gallons worth of heat cycling, but it died before I could finish breaking it in LOL.

-
Ok ...mikeh you funny,funny, guy you....

49 heat cycles within a gallon is the current status of this mill and I have no regrets.

Yes, it is one heck of a mill considering that it is what it is. A replacement consideration
for any RTR 1/8th off-road.

I believe its these efforts that account for the fact that the mill is standing up to a
platinum 28 as we speak.

Yes, I do believe this anal break-in has produced a desent example of a patient break-in.
It should be ready at any time to seat. But its a tight-A$$ pinch.

What are ya gonna do when its a tight-A$$ pinch at 1 gallon, mikeh?.... I would wager to
say, keep break'in it in until it seats, my friend!!

Maybe its a fluke that the mill is showing signs of a spec2 or higher attributes. This, I
don't mind...

I did go out of my way to increase the posibillities of a temperd pinch.
-

Now I've got a gallon through her and she's doing fine. Anyone have a reccommended fuel?... I was thinking O'donnells.

continue to use the fuel youve been running from the very first time you fired it up.

you seem to be taking the break in very patiently and carefully so why change the fuel after break in. best advice is always break in with the fuel you intend to use throughout the engines life IMO

-
=====================================================================================-

Yes...You've got a good point there, polystyrene.....

I was kind of on the fence about that one because for one, There are conflicting opinions out there that say it's
perfectly fine. And then others that say, absolutely not, when it comes to switching fuels, mid-stream.

This is weather its break-in, or even at a much later time in the engines life.

I even heard that changing the fuel required a completely new break-in process, everytime you change the fuel.
If thats really the case, then I'm causing un-due ware on the mill, if I proceed at this point.

I chose not to accept that consern as the only choice even though this might be very true in this case.

The fuel that I want to run doesn't have the oil content that I wanted to try this break-in with. So, I chose a
fuel that did. And of course, we are all subject to whatever is available in are local area.

Because this is not a real race calibur mill, I felt I could afford to try this method and see how it worked out.
I wanted to run O'donnells from the start, but I couldn't find the right blend at my location. I suspect that we
all had to face this to some degree, one time or another.

I do apprecieate your advice in this endevour as you may be absolutely right.

I broke this mill in on 20% nitro / 18% oil blend and this mill hates it from what I can tell.
By this, I mean to say that too high of an oil content can create heat issues, yet this mill can use a higher
nitro content at the same time.

I've been going for a frictionless heat cycle more than anything else. I believe this preserves the pinch alot
better than seatting the piston first.

Yes, it's harder on the conrod and pin if done in a wreckless fashion. I'm trying to be careful and not go
overboard with the lube factor. It seems that so far, It's paying off well.

I think it would be interresting to see someone could pull off a 100 heat cycles in one gallon.
I wonder what the result would be?

keep in mind, The more heat cycles, the harder the temper, increasing the life of tightness in the pinch.
The sooner the temper, the sooner the pinch is preserved. If you have a tight pinch from the start, a good
hardened temper will help perserve it.IMO

After reading about RB's Bess artical and Defiant Spaz's great write up, here at HPISF, hammering their there
latest reccommendations, I'm sure I could have done things different. But I had already started this process
and well into it, when their insights came to be posted.

Changing these methods now would undermine the validness of any positive findings on this break-in.

I guess I could still change my mind on the fuel, but its been going so well it this stage. Staying the course is
the inclination I feel comfortable with. and that couse is to try a change in fuel.

===================== Thank you again, for your reccommendable advice ===========================
-

===================================================================================

After further thought, I think poly has pointed out a important consern with the switching of fuels, midstream.

I did say that I wanted the forum's members feedback in the sense of having apart in the break-in process.
The thing is, these comments of advice are coming in a little later than I wanted in the threads development.

I will say that throughout this entire thread, Polytyrene has been the only member that has offered some
constructive input to the threads purpose.

On that note, I will give the different fuel issue more consideration. Thanks again, Poly.

I do realize that there are very few Dynamite owners out here and that is probably the reason there seems to be
little interrest in this mill. For those who haven't seen a Dyna Mach 28, I urge you to check it out.

With a patient break-in.......

============================ It's a clear upgrade to a k4.6 ==================================
-

I found this post in a "What fuel do you use" thread and thought this guy had a point to make.IMO
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
crzy-svg-usr
Sir smoke alot Join Date: Aug 2006
Bank: 10,000.00
Total Points: 23,597.79
Donate

Ok for all you who know nothing about fuels I'll let you in on some secrets hop move this to a new thread if U like and "sticky" it

It is not harmful for your engine to go from 20 to 30 to 40 to 20 to 10 it does not matter like some say, all that is needed when
running a higher percentage nitro fuel is a richer tune, and when going lower a leaner tune. so warm up your engine, you will see
it runs hot or cold, and retune to new fuel.

The whole concept behind the tune for different fuels. The nitro percentage is bassicially what is burning in the fuel. When there
is 30% nitro, the engine needs less air then if youw ere running a lower % nitro. this is why peopl say they have lower temps with
higher percentage fuels, because in reality you are running richer then when you are running a lower %. The reason it is running
faster though with the 30 then the 20 is because of the increased nitro amount in the fuel, it burns hotter and produces more
combustion, but since the engine is richer it will run cooler then on 20%.

I have run 20% to 40% to 30% in the same engine, its on its 17th gallons now with a great deal of compression. All that is needed
is a proper tune, if you can't tune, Id say learn how to or use a trash engine till you do. From my experiences it seems 30% is easier
to tune to then 20% because it is running richer, but maintaining same speed as u would with a perfect tune on 20%. of you are
odd at tuning though you will have the temp hovering around 210-230 is what I run my engines at and it will run like a dream. Most
2 stroke engines can't idle for a long time, so don't expect it to. If it idles for a long time without bogging down by itself your LSN is
probably too lean and you should check that out.

I know for a fact my RB loves a fat low speed needle with a lean high speed for optimal performance. Every engine is different so
you will have to figure that out on your own.

For all of the you can't switch fuels and % theorys, they are wrong.

crzy

-
============================= IT'S DONE =================================

After two more tanks, I 've noticed that this mill is finally loosened up abit. She's ready to to
tuned propperly.

The curent seasonnal changes made for a leaner needle setting as I fired her up last weekend.
I actually had the richen again but this is under different circumstances compared to the break-in.

This effort to break this mill in with the regiment that I chose was a long and drawn out ordeal.
Mostly because of the time that was available was sporatic in nature.

If I had to do it over again, I would give it a weekend from dawn to dusk so It would be
completed ASAP...

54 heat cycles, 1.10 gallons of fuel, piston placed at BDC at every cooldown.

I stripped the tires from the rims three times, and I can honnestly say, my k4.6 wouldn't
have had a chance against her.

---------------------- Now... She'll climb up a tree.

=======================:10: :10: :10:=======================

-

Latest posts

Members online

Back