-TEMP THERMOMETERS-Which end do you stick it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOBEEWHA

HPISF languist expert
========WOOOoo, Not that end...lol. HEY HPISF. With special thanks to :10: Chunky Monkey:10: I'm proud to open this new Section with the very first posted thread. I hope this to be one of the many, you guys can create here for tools/ ect. ======== TEMP GUNS or THREMOMETERS- Does anyone have the same problem that I've got with my temp sensor?

It seems to work properly at temps under 130 degrees or so, yet it is clearly inacurate at 160 and up.
My purticular unit is a ATOMIK MICROTEMP Digtal Infrared Thermometer, Part no.#200-002. Propbably considered a cheapy, it lists for $34.95 U.S.

What are the symptoms, of a low battery? Can these little things be adjusted or recalibrated, by tweaking a pot on the inside of unit? My unit is about 60-80 degrees below the actual temps that I'm trying to read from.

This can be a painfully bad issue because it can go un-noticed for a length of time. Like while your COOKING YOUR MILL. It was that tell-tell smell of baking nitro fuel residue that tipped me off to the situation.

I haven't changed the battery yet because it has a built in indicator to warn me of low battery condition.
I guess I just have to replace it with a better one if this one can't be serviced in some way.

With that being said, who makes the better temp sensors out there?..

And why are they better?

===================================================================== Much thanks to those who can provide some helpful advice.==========================================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Oregon. Cool link to the temp sensor. The pe-1 appears to be in the same class as my unit, as far as size and features. If I bail on my temp unit, I'll keep te pe-1 in mind. Thanks bro.

I use the hpi infrared gun ..had a Venom all in 1 heat/failsafe ..worked ok for a while then found it was off by 60F !!!***..then bought another Venom heat only..that played all kinds of games ..the bought the hpi gun and it works pretty good ..I guess cuz it tells me what I wanna hear..190-240"s instead of 280-310..Ive compared it to a few other guys onboard units ..Its only 4-10F off up or down ..so ya I say so far so good

Temp Gun

I bought an Axial Temp gun the same day that I bought my Savage X and have not had a single problem yet. It is accurate up to 3 degrees up or down. Heres the temp gun link.

http://www.axialracing.com/details.php?Id=3114

For the price you cant beat it in my opinion.

I like it because it gets down in the cooling head for an accurate reading.

I don't like onboard temp guns they always seem to get beat up being onboard but I'm a basher with hardly ever a body on my truck, plus the servo tape or double velcro always wears out.

Hey thankx, awya14 and NSO.
I wonder if there's some calibration info on my unit before I round file the thing?
It's made by ATOMIK. #200-002. I forgot to mention that I the first post....Duh.

I'll go edit that in now. I remember that the instructions were kind of funny with the propper use trip,

but I haven't found where I put them. I want to see if I can re-calibrate the little sucker.

Temp Gun Calibration

It seems to work properly at temps under 130 degrees or so, yet it is clearly inacurate at 160 and up.

Hey Doob I know your looking to tinker with it on a more technical level but you can always try this simple method. This method is actually for calibrating an onboard temp gauge but I'm sure it should work with an IR temp gun. I will try when I get home on my IR and let ya know.

Head to the kitchen with your IR temp gun. Water boils at 212 degrees fahrenheit. So grab a pan and start to boil 3 or 4 cups of water. Stay close!!! As soon as the water starts to boil point your temp gun at the water and get your reading. Then just add/subtract the difference and bam a true temp reading.

For anybody wanting to do this with an onboard temp gauge. Same steps just drop the sensor on the gauge in the water exactly at boiling point. Example:.........If your reading says 182 its 30 degrees low. So if your engine reads 270 its really 300. Hope this can help.

temp guns don't work like that you have to set the emissitivty setting for every type of surface,ie alun,powder coated, iron, steel and water would have its own setting as well.

Hey Poly, NSO, windjamer, How ya doing, guys?.
Yea.... I took a temp reading off of boiling water thing and It shows a consistant 160 +/- 2 degrees F`.

That means I can hope to run my engines at 170'ish taking in account of the 50 degree differenece..... I don't want to trust it though.

If I can't re-calibrate this thing,
I'm going to tie it to a big-*** bottle rocket and see what temp it is then...lol

LOL DOOBEEWHA!
zpostwhore2-1.gif

i use the duratrax one they cost like 24 bucs and you can calibrate it to read what ever.

on that page there is a link to a manual for it thats worth looking at.

LOL DOOBEEWHA!
zpostwhore2-1.gif
I've always found it amazing to notice how one persons frustration is directly preportional to another persons sense of humor....lol E. T. A. to lift off....18 hours, 36 mins 29 seconds...and counting.

Way cool, Mega.
Thank you for the link, my friend.
That reminds me that I have a alternative to the temp sensor thats on the fritz. Its a temp prob that I picked up when I was a HVAC tech.

It plugs in to a volt meter and isn't as convenient as the ones we use but its extremely accurate.

I bought a temp reader from a shop called princess auto, it only cost 15 bucks, looks just like those blue duratrax ones but includes a build in stop watch. I compared the readings to my friends 200 dollar temp gun that he borrowed from work and they gave the same readings + or - 1 degee. So with that said i would go spending big dollars on temp readers.

Ya I've Been Using The Hpi Temp Gun And It Seems To Work Pretty Good Actually! I Tested It Against My Buddies Higher Priced One And They Showed My Engine At Roughly The Same Temp, Well There Was 5 Degress Difference So I don't Think Thats To Bad! My Buddies Was A Pro Exotic Or Something Like That And It Even Came With A Aluminum Carry Case So I'm Assuming It Was A Good One! Apparently He Payed Over $100 Bucks For It And I Only Payed 40 For Mine! Lol

Ya I've Been Using The Hpi Temp Gun And It Seems To Work Pretty Good Actually! I Tested It Against My Buddies Higher Priced One And They Showed My Engine At Roughly The Same Temp, Well There Was 5 Degress Difference So I don't Think Thats To Bad! My Buddies Was A Pro Exotic Or Something Like That And It Even Came With A Aluminum Carry Case So I'm Assuming It Was A Good One! Apparently He Payed Over $100 Bucks For It And I Only Payed 40 For Mine! Lol
Cool Savageshaun...
Sounds like you got a good one.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back