T-Bone Racing Rear skid/wheelie bar for savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

HPISF Supporter
I saw a few threads discussing these, but noone really explaining how well they hold up and do their job. Looking to replace my HPI wheelie bar and was thinking of trying this out. I didn't want to spend the $30 if it breaks after a couple hard rear landings.

My only reason for it is due to the body getting ripped up whenever you do a wheelie in the grass. The stock bumper flexes enough to let the body catch the grass, then it folds it up and wrecks it in short order.

The t-bone skid with the wheels on it looks like it won't compress nearly as far, but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb either.

The t-bone skid with the wheels on it looks like it won't compress nearly as far, but doesn't stick out like a sore thumb either.
I've used the T-Bone Racing bumpers and wheelie bars on several RC's. What I've found is they do have a bit of compression to them since they are attached to the back bumper and the bumper itself does flex. They also allow the RC to do taller wheelies since they don't stick out as far as other wheelie bars.

This can be good and bad as taller wheelies can be fun but it's also possible to still flip the truck if you try. Durability-wise T-Bone Racing products are very nice and I would certainly recommend them.

I saw a few threads discussing these, but noone really explaining how well they hold up and do their job. Looking to replace my HPI wheelie bar and was thinking of trying this out. I didn't want to spend the $30 if it breaks after a couple hard rear landings.

My only reason for it is due to the body getting ripped up whenever you do a wheelie in the grass. The stock bumper flexes enough to let the body catch the grass, then it folds it up and wrecks it in short order.

Do I see a test and review coming down the road on this ????

My HPI wheelie wheel is coming off. I find it gets in the way of the roto start so I have to go in at an angle with it and it grinds (the Roto) I thought it was the gears at first but it's the pins on the starter. Things would be better if the shank on the roto was longer.

What about a wheelie competition Jam :)

I've used the T-Bone Racing bumpers and wheelie bars on several RC's. What I've found is they do have a bit of compression to them since they are attached to the back bumper and the bumper itself does flex. They also allow the RC to do taller wheelies since they don't stick out as far as other wheelie bars.

This can be good and bad as taller wheelies can be fun but it's also possible to still flip the truck if you try. Durability-wise T-Bone Racing products are very nice and I would certainly recommend them.

Thanks for the info. This late in the season, maybe something I'll ask for for Christmas so I have it for next year. I'll be lucky to find enough time to finish the break-in on my revo before it's too cold out.

Well, it showed up in the mail today. It's thicker and a bit more bulky than the pictures let on. I didn't expect the little wheels to be so big. Will install it later today to see how things line up and post up some pics.

After having it in my hands, I see why they charge $30 for the thing. It's a decent hunk of plastic!

Well, I installed it. No instructions, really, I wouldn't think I'd need them, but putting things on in the obvious place seemed a bit off and I probably torched the warranty.

I countersunk the 4 holes where it attaches to the bottom because the screw heads stuck out about 1-2mm and that's just a bad idea for a skid. I also enlarged the holes on the piece that mounts to the bumper so I could put it in between the skid and the bumper vs on top. When I mounted it on top, it was higher than the upper lip of the bumper... which seemed to defeat the purpose of the piece as it appears it's for the back of the skid to bump into to use the stock skid/bumper for cushion.

There are two extra holes in the skid that I'm not sure what they are for. It also came with two extra 12-14mm long 3mm flathead screws. Not sure what they are for either.

Placement of the rear bumper brace plate:
2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-SpacerPlacement.jpg

Countersunk screw holes I countersunk more, probably a hair too much on the front ones, but those are short screws that don't bite into much anyway on the diff case/housing:
2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-ScrewCounterSink01.jpg

One of the extra holes I'm not sure is for:
2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-UnknownHoles.jpg

Extra 3mm screws, also not sure what they are for:
2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-3MScrews.jpg

Rear body clearance, should help avoid messing the body up. If it does, then I may actually break and buy a new body finally:
2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-Clearance.jpg

Installed:
2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-Rear.jpg

Obligitory savage shots:

2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-ExhaustHigh.jpg

2015-1106-SavageX-TBoneSkid-Tank.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I only ran a tank through to adjust the trans for the 17T bell I put on... man, that thing is silly fast. The wheelie bar seemed to do a nice job on pavement. 2nd gear shift wheelies are always tough to deal with and it did well. I ran it in the grass for about a minute before I ran out of gas, did a few wheelies and the body doesn't seem to catch the grass like it did before. So, if it holds up to some bad landings well, I think this will work out nicely.

Will probably get out for more run time tomorrow. My revo broke and kind of killed the mood and the temps were dropping with high winds... so just generally annoyed and ran a tank in the savage to see how it did.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back