Suspention.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Williams

Does anyone know how to `limit` the amount the suspention extends as i think this is the reason my drive shafts `popped out`. Ive tried taking them off and tried the screw them in all the way as i thought that would make a difference on `2` it winded in a bit but the others were already `wound` in if you know what i mean. If this is possible i don't know but if possible would be really helpfull with me trying to fix my problem! Thanks dudes! Have a good day :)

Hi Paul, If you want to fit limiters to your shocks you will need to do the following:

Remove the shock spring 1st, then unscrew the cap off the top of the shock and drain the oil out.
Next you will need to unscrew the lower shock mount from the shock shaft (the piece that connects the shock to the wishbone). Do this by gripping the shock shaft with a pair of pliers, make sure you put a piece of rag around the shock shaft to stop the pliers from damaging it and unscrewing it anti-clockwise.
Then unscrew the lower part of the shock body, you don't need to do this part but will make it alot easier to refit the shock shaft. You can now remove the shock shaft through the top of the shock body.
There will be a couple of O rings and a spacer in the bottom of the shock body where you just unscrewed the lower part, hook these out remembering the order you removed them. Should be O ring, spacer, O ring.
Once you have the shock shaft in your hand slid a spacer or piece of fuel pipe onto (over) the shaft ( I use 10mm spacers).
Then re-assemble everything in the reverse order, with the spacer inside the shock body. This will then reduce the downward travel of the shock by what ever length of spacer you fitted.
Re-fill the shock with silicon shock oil, the viscosity is up to you, but anywhere between 30-50wt (300-500cst) should be fine for normal use.
Bob's your uncle & fanny's your aunt, and your done.

Last edited:
This is detailed in many threads, all it will take it time and a bit of fluid for the shocks, Come on @Paul Williams it really is not that bad a job, follow what @Gazzman said and it should take about an hour or so to accomplish
Just did a set on one of my Savages today allowing me to remove the plastic spring extensions from the top of the shocks to lower the ride height and it took less than an hour.
With what you have done with your truck already, this should be a breeze mate. 👍🤪

Last edited:
Just did a set on one of my Savages today allowing me to remove the plastic spring extensions from the top of the shocks to lower the ride height and it took less than an hour.
With what you have done with your truck already, this should be a breeze mate. 👍🤪
Thanks for the reassurance! haha. Well maybe i will try. You never know! ;)

Thanks for the reassurance! haha. Well maybe i will try. You never know! ;)
Go on Paul, I have total faith in you. When it's done you will be asking yourself, what was I worried about that was a piece of cake. Just look at the manual (pages 26-27) I think, on how to dismantle & assemble the shocks and look at the picture by Mvtepixel (picture 3) on where to put the limiter(spacer) and your done. Before long your know your way around a Savage like me. LOL. I knew F-all about Savages until I started building them, taking them apart and then building them again. It one big learning curve bro and here at the forum we all seek help and advise to better our knowledge about the Savage.
1668369413711.png1668369432861.png1668369714491.png

Go on Paul, I have total faith in you. When it's done you will be asking yourself, what was I worried about that was a piece of cake. Just look at the manual (pages 26-27) I think, on how to dismantle & assemble the shocks and look at the picture by Mvtepixel (picture 3) on where to put the limiter(spacer) and your done. Before long your know your way around a Savage like me. LOL. I knew F-all about Savages until I started building them, taking them apart and then building them again. It one big learning curve bro and here at the forum we all seek help and advise to better our knowledge about the Savage.
View attachment 10186View attachment 10187View attachment 10188
Thanks for that, just to see if we are on about the same thing i want to limit `extention` and not how much it compresses? :)

As when it compresses everything is in the cups correctly but when extended they look close to popping out.

Thanks for that, just to see if we are on about the same thing i want to limit `extention` and not how much it compresses? :)
Spot on mate, this will reduce the amount the shaft comes out of the shock body. It will still compress the same amount but when you lift the truck up the wishbones won't hang down as much.
Just do it man, you know you want to.🤪🤪👌😜

Spot on mate, this will reduce the amount the shaft comes out of the shock body. It will still compress the same amount but when you lift the truck up the wishbones won't hang down as much.
Just do it man, you know you want to.🤪🤪👌😜
That is exactly what i need to do thanks again Gazz otherwise without doing this job i wouldnt use my truck as it might happen again. Can`t wait to do the mission and get my truck rollin` again :cool:

Yeah i do get it now i understand the picture with the spacer and piston might have to run it through my head a couple of times to understand the whole job but you explain it well. :)

It would be ok if all i had to do was disassemble and fit the spacer but when all the oil starts coming out I'm more likely to ruin it than actually fixing it with a spacer.

And when i do do it i will need some oil i haven't got any Gazzman would you recommend me some from wheelspin or somewhere and how long a spacer should i fit? 1cm - 2cm? How do you know how much oil to put in?

And when i do do it i will need some oil i haven't got any Gazzman would you recommend me some from wheelspin or somewhere and how long a spacer should i fit? 1cm - 2cm? How do you know how much oil to put in?
Just look on eBay for silicon shock oil there are loads of peeps selling it. the price varies alot from brand to brand but for just what your using your truck for get the cheapest. and get anything from 30 to 50wt (300-500cst). The oil wont go everywhere, you just unscrew the top of the shock and tip it out, as for refilling just pour it in the top of the shock till it's just level with the top and screw the cap back on. Again LOOK at the manual, it's all in there.

spacer inside the shocks. or to zip ties around suspension arm and shock tower to see if that's causing the issue.

Latest posts

Members online

Back