Sucking dust past the filter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chronic

Does this seem normal? I've been cleaning my filters after every ride, using filter oil. And after an hour or two in a construction yard last night I was cleaning my truck, oiling the engine and noticed...quite a bit of dirt inside my carb
ugh2.gif

I have the ziptie on the filter tube, bolt was tight on the cap. I'm kind of bummed knowing I've sucked a bunch of dust through my engine...

It didn't die or anything. Infact it was running sound. But, I just noticed that after the ride.

Its the stock twin layer filter set up I got with the savagex-46

Is The Air Filter On The 4.6 The Same One That Comes Stock On The Sav X 4.1? If So Thats Really Weird Unless Maybe Its Not "seated Right" One Time I Noticed The Foam Wasnt "tucked" In Exactly How It Was Supposed To Be But I Caught It Before I Even Started It, Could This Be The Problem As These Littles Motors Have Enough "vacum" Pressure To Suck Dirt Through The Smallest Of Places In Your Filter I Would Imagine!`

to answer your initial question, no, that's not normal...few things can kill an engine faster than dirt/dust/foreign objects entering the mill...

dust/dirt usually attacks the piston walls, scratching it, and causing a loss of compression and power...

larger items (rarely enter thru the carb, but can find their way in, in the form of a stray screw when re-assembling) will cause much more immediate failure, by stopping a running motor instantly, wedging between crank and case, or various other places, usually causing failures like broken cranks, con-rods, or even crank cases...

as far as what to do about it, it sounds like your methods are correct, so there must be something you're overlooking...worst case scenario, buy a motor-saver 3 stage air filter...a little spendier than the standard Savage filter, but if it saves your mill, then it's money well spent...

-
Yea... Thats REAL wierd. The HPI filter sysytem is known to be one of the best around.
I reccommend that you nitro clean the carb and the engine too, for that matter.

Make sure the filter assembly is seccure and there's no looseness in the primary or secondary foams.
Also know that constant cleanning of a filter will lead to foam break-down over time.

They are to be considered parishable in that sense.
When you get a replacement, Try being as gental as possible when doing the cleanning steps.
This will help in not crushing and tearing the cell structure in the foam as much.

Remember,... It's the oil that is the only reason that the filter works effectively. the oil holds the
dirt from advancing past the filter system. This is why the oil is blue. It allows you to see that
it's spread evenly. The intire primary foam should be a lite blue indicating that the foam is well
treated in oil. But not dripping, of course.

If the problem persists, replace the filter system to a alternative choice.
-

Last edited by a moderator:
-
Yea... Thats REAL wierd. The HPI filter sysytem is known to be one of the best around.
I reccommend that you nitro clean the carb and the engine too, for that matter.

Make sure the filter assembly is seccure and there's no looseness in the primary or secondary foams.
Also know that constant cleanning of a filter will lead to it foam break-down over time.

They are to be considered parishable in that sense.

When you get a replacement, Try being as gental as possible when doing the cleanning steps.
This will help in not crushing and tearing the cell structure in the foam as much.

The intire primary foam should be a lite blue indicating that the foam is well treated in oil.
If the problem persists, replace the filter system to a alternative choice.
-

Good points, tips, and advice doobee, well played.

Another tip use a hose clamp instead of zip ties. I have not had mine fall off since I swaped.

Thanks for the tips!

I'll have to search for cleaning the engine. I cleaned the carb out last night. But, not the engine

Your filter might be letting stuff in it from around the top or bottom of the filter that goes against the top or bottom plastic flat pieces...when you take on some nasty landings..the outter layer will sometimes roll back allowing stuff in. I read some where if you smear a small line of grease around the top and bottom of the foam outter filter then put it back together it helps seal the whole set up a little better.

-Joe

Thanks guys, I am going to seal my engine tonight and, maybe sure...there is hopefully no damage or debris lurking in the block.

Hmm...any tips on removing the back plate of the engine?

lol, derrr...I got it, I was trying something wrong. My god, this is the smallest piston I've ever seen! I thought my z's pistons were cute, this is just...I feel emotional. Nitro noob right...hehe

And if I didn't know anybetter, I would say the piston is good! No real significant markings on the sidewalls. So, presuming I don't introduce a bunch of crap into my engine from this project, I can rest at ease.

Good deal, Chronic,...
I like to hear that someone actually follows the reccommended procedures to
a cure their asking about.
You will be able to rest easy because your doing the right thing for your mill.

I take it if your sealing the mill, you may have read the link I posted...
That green slime stuff is your buddy, for sure..

Good luck and happy Haul'in, bud.

Thanks man, I definitely was leaking compression, those brass spacers at the top of the cylender had marks indicating fluid or gas were passing by. So, I may as well replace them considering my luck.

That pin and spring that sits in your crank for the starting mechanism. Yeah, totaly overlooked that, being my first time mucking about, I lost them. I looked high and low. I was putting everything back together and realized the crank looked a bit short on parts and then it hit me.

Oops, live and learn. Hopefully thats a common mistake and perhaps the hobby shop keeps them in stock. If not, I certainly will learn my lesson lol

But anyway, I'll keep posted when I get my replacement pin. Unless I miracuously spot it on the floor before my cat eats it.

boooo haha

Cool, Bud
Any mistake is common for a newbie so no worries, bud.
Yea... get your crankcase sorted out for sure...lol

**** Happens...
Later, Chronic.

Yea.. Dirt in the the carb,... "BAD VALUE" as one of my old friends used to say.

Hey guys, again thanks for everything. I got the new pin n spring...haha! Yeah, no chance of me ever finding that one. Now, I was just wondering. Should I rtv seal the upper portion of my piston sleeve to the lip in my block?? Or leave that alone.

Anyway, besides the green slime, I have everything else sealed.

Oh, One more thing. A buddy and I were thinking about buying another set of sleeves and pistons and trying to polish them up. I've found alot of threads on doing older smaller engines. Is the principal the same in theory as the larger engine? All that is left is, giving it a shot and gaining experience through the process.

Thanks.

-
Leave the heatsink and piston sleave alone, as far as the RtV goes.
The tightness of a star torque pattern should be enough for a good seal against the shims.

As for the porting Q's...
Yea,.. there's alot of similarities with porting methods out there. Just be careful not to hack your mills...
Read up and be sure that the info your using is sound and proven.

Here's a link to an HPI Nitro star 25 porting tutorial by Steve Pond. I reccommend that you download
the pdf's for better image quality.

https://www.hpisavageforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2933

yea the filter on all of the stock savages are the same even the RTR and the Kit have da same filter and i haven had any probs.
another thought is the dust really fine coz it could have found da smallest place to get in

Fair enough, I left the sleeve alone I was just curious.

I saw that thread about porting, I'm going to read it once or twice more. I'm very content with my savage as is. I'm just a big DIY guy, so that stuff interests me.

Anyway, yeah the time I got dust in my truck. It was a very fine dirt from a construction site. So maybe something was just a bit off as far as filtration goes.

Thanks for the ideas!

One of thing real quick. When you put the filter together, put a thin layer of thick grease on the flat of the plastic that contacts the foam. It helps keep a seal between the plastic and the foam. I read about that somewhere online and thought it sounded like a good idea.

Latest posts

Members online

Back