STS .30 rev2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAVAGESMASH

I got my new motor broken in and it starts and runs great but at wide open throttle it seems to scream for a sec then it acts like it is loosing fuel but it has a good smoke trail and its running around 200-220 degrees any suggestions???

^ agree with that, sounds like its bit too lean or bogging down.

richen hsn needle up a bit

go back to factory and start again. set the idle, tune the HSN and then the LSN. make any idle adjustments lastly if needed.

What kind of fuel? With temps of 200 I was pretty sure it wasnt lean anyway. Lets cut to the chase, if your using Blue Thunder, dump it out dude.

i would worry less about tempretures. you shouldnt tune by temp, but by performance.

get it back to base settings and start again on the hsn.

i would worry less about tempretures. you shouldnt tune by temp, but by performance.QUOTE]

:withstupid: I agree - it's all about the performance. I've run the heck out of an engine at well over 300 degrees and it held up great for a long time, and ran awesome. It's all about the performance. I wouldn't run it at 500 or anything, but you can go a little over their recommended and it'll be fine as long as it's performing right.

i think polly was saying that you should tune by the feel, noise and smell (?) of an engine, not by a temp gun....i don't even own one. i need to get one to just check the temps, but i wouldn't tune by it. it's just handy as a reference....

I got my new motor broken in and it starts and runs great but at wide open throttle it seems to scream for a sec then it acts like it is loosing fuel but it has a good smoke trail and its running around 200-220 degrees any suggestions???

a revision 2 is going to take at least 1 full galon to break in, posible 1.5 gallons... till it hits 1 gallon refrain from WOT passes, you will damage the motor for sure.

I was doing wide open runs w/ my sts at 1/2 gallon on my 3rd gallon now runs like a top !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was doing wide open runs w/ my sts at 1/2 gallon on my 3rd gallon now runs like a top !!!!!!!!!!!!!

the looser STS mills that is fine to do.. the tighter ones its a very bad idea. You must be sure the piston has sealed to the sleeve before you start beating on it.....

But I guess I know nothing about these engines !!!!!!

a revision 2 is going to take at least 1 full galon to break in, posible 1.5 gallons... till it hits 1 gallon refrain from WOT passes, you will damage the motor for sure.

1 to 1.5 gallons. thats alot of fuel. i want a engine to be tuned by 5 to 7 tanks and then last alot of gallons.

1 or 1.5 gallons is alot of the engines life to use up just running it in imo

depends what you consider break in... I run 10 tanks of heat cycle... then I run the motor for about 1 gallon, gently increasing the engines load and RPM every tank...

for a motor to be broken in correctly, the metal to metal pinch must be gone..the piston needs to seat to the sleeve and make a seal.... this usualy takes 1 full gallon... I don't baby it, but i also wont wind it out either.

i got 14 gallons from my last modded mill, a SH28P6 .... and it was also amazingly fast. I regularly get over 10 gallons from any mill, and i have owned 100's.. I have been doing Nitro since 1984, i'm an old guy LOL

I watched your video's Jester, and your motor is far from "running like a top" it actualy sounds very rough IMHO... No insult meant, but i guess my idea of a proper running engine is a whole world different then yours..

1 to 1.5 gallons. thats alot of fuel. i want a engine to be tuned by 5 to 7 tanks and then last alot of gallons.

1 or 1.5 gallons is alot of the engines life to use up just running it in imo

then stick to the lower end engines like Axials, they don't make enough RPM to really need to worry much about break in....

try your style with a Nova 28, Picco 28, STS 30 and see how far ya get...you'll be popping and sputtering on top like crazy and burning thru glow plugs faster then you can imagine...7 tanks is not nearly enough break in sorry to say !!!!

i just watched your vids dude, that motor aint running like a top.. she sounds rough and is way down on power IMHO

http://s107.photobucket.com/albums/m307/stitchdoctor/?action=view&current=STS30stg1.flv
- this is a STS 30, on a HPI polished pipe, all 4 head shims still in motor-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-tOGQAf1o

and here is another STS 30 with the STS pipe

in case you guys havn't noticed the STS motors really need a good pipe to run nicely, mainly the STS pipe.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=2976885989159158821

and here are two more vehicles with my motors.. the first is a Mach 427 in a Hellfire, the second the STS 30 in a 1" extended 14.5 lb Savage.

Last edited by a moderator:
then stick to the lower end engines like Axials, they don't make enough RPM to really need to worry much about break in....

try your style with a Nova 28, Picco 28, STS 30 and see how far ya get...you'll be popping and sputtering on top like crazy and burning thru glow plugs faster then you can imagine...7 tanks is not nearly enough break in sorry to say !!!!

i run RB engines in my race trucks too with the same method. each to there own though, was just giving my opinion

imo the sts engines arent great, thats my opinion based on what i have seen of them so far and there are alot at my club and only 1 seems to run well

i run RB engines in my race trucks too with the same method. each to there own though, was just giving my opinion

imo the sts engines arent great, thats my opinion based on what i have seen of them so far and there are alot at my club and only 1 seems to run well

7 tanks break in on a RB, dam dude shoot some vid !!!!!!! that is a very impatient break in, i wonder how it runs...

as for STS, yes they are not for idiots thats for sure... rush the break in, and you'll have a problem motor, its that simple.

My own STS mills are amazing, strong enough that Jammin Jay and Chad Bradly were both amazed by them... the strongest mill at a National event, as well as 10 minutes run time... I have even Jammin Jays opinions on video !!

STS is so far ahead of Axial its not even funny .. and Axial 28 is nothing more then a RTR HPI 4.6.... Lots of bottom, but zero top end IMHO...way too slow to race with.

anyways heres Jammin Jay halsey driving my CRT at the Canadian Nationals , that's Chad bradly standing in pit lane helping start it, and the voice up on the stand is Jammin Jay and Gary Guest

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-4216174479472740173

in this vid, the STS 30 wasn't quite tuned yet, as it was the first time running it at the event.... But we layed a whooping on every other motor on the track.. with 15 pro's in atttendance, we qualified 16th...

Last edited by a moderator:
here is another angle of jammin Jay driving the STS 30 powered CRT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfpZO8ccJJA

its all in the breakin guys, break in a motor slowly, and make sure its setup correctly and they will run like a top... Do a rushed 7 tank break in and you will never, ever get anywhere near optimal performance from an engine.... For me an engines life is always 10 plus gallons, i usualy reitre them before they stop running.... Or i blow them up for fun LOL

hey guys, I must add.. I am not the best at writing my thoughts, my writing skills are not the best... So if i sound like a peepee, or rude please don't be offended.. I am not very good at getting my thoughts down on paper, and I am only trying to help people get the most from their engines....

for break in, yes you can do a fast break in, and make a motor track ready in 10 tanks, alot of pro's use this method.. The problem is this method will cause our engine to wear out very fast, which is fine for a sponsored pro... but for an average Joe it means a motor going dead much sooner then it needed to... The faster you break your motor in, the faster its going to wear out.. as well the con rod and bushings willalso take a beating.

the slower heat cycle break in will give you a much tighter piston seal, and a motor that lasts much longer.. Usualy i have no isue getting over 10 gallons thru any engine..Some of them modded mills spinning as much as 7000 RPM more then stock.

I do all my break in on a break in bench, using a prop for load.. This allows me to perfectly control the temperature, RPM and load on the engine... And usualy by this method i can have a motor track ready in about 10 -15 tanks, and at peak performance at 1.5 gallons. The prop break in bench is the easiest, fastest most reliable method to break in a new engine...I highly recomend it to everyone.

Supertib - You have a link for a breakin bench? Thanks for taking the time to help everyone including myself. Breakin period has always been a week point for me.

[QUOTE

I watched your video's Jester, and your motor is far from "running like a top" it actualy sounds very rough IMHO... No insult meant, but i guess my idea of a proper running engine is a whole world different then yours..[/QUOTE]

I am happy the was it runs iam running 47 16 combo on it right now In the last vid I never even opend it up so you couldn't really c how it was running...on the top end.. I am never clamied to be a engine tunning expert and Iam still learing more everyday. For for what I do (bashing ) the engine runs good for me) If I was a racer I would worrie more about it.. So that MHO!!

Spertib, I see your little jabs, and its not cool. Just because you have these engines doesnt make you an authority, and downing another brand just to push your STS engines isnt gonna cut it here. I prefer Axial, but I don't say any other engine is junk or trash just because I prefer another brand. I happen to know the Axial and K4.6 are two very different engines.

Enough with the cracks already, and if you don't like it, you can go elsewhere. I have had it with the negative engine wars.

Spertib, I see your little jabs, and its not cool. Just because you have these engines doesnt make you an authority, and downing another brand just to push your STS engines isnt gonna cut it here. I prefer Axial, but I don't say any other engine is junk or trash just because I prefer another brand. I happen to know the Axial and K4.6 are two very different engines.

Enough with the cracks already, and if you don't like it, you can go elsewhere. I have had it with the negative engine wars.

My appolgies for Jabs..i will keep it in check !!

Axial 28 and K4.6 are nearly 100% identical.... slight difference in crank, sleeve identical.

My appolgies for Jabs..i will keep it in check !!

Axial 28 and K4.6 are nearly 100% identical.... slight difference in crank, sleeve identical.

We compared the sleeves between one of our old K-4.6 sleeves, and our Axial sleeve from the blown engine we bought, and the porting was more agressive on the axial. It wasn't a huge difference, but enough to explain the dyno chart.

sts30

I'm running trinity monster power 20% nitro It warmed up a little outside today and i seem to have it running a bit better should I remove any of the head shims will it make it run any different>>????

We compared the sleeves between one of our old K-4.6 sleeves, and our Axial sleeve from the blown engine we bought, and the porting was more agressive on the axial. It wasn't a huge difference, but enough to explain the dyno chart.

I have both mills apart on the bench a 4.6 and a Axial 28..sleeve is 100% identical, same timing, same porting... the cranks are slightly different, but identical timing, the Axial has a crude turbo crank, the 4.6 doesn't... The difference in the dyno is from using different glow plugs more then anything...I am sorry to say but a Axial 28 is truly just a slightly touched (and I mean slightly) K4.6....I have modded quite a few Axials, and have several hours of video of them running as well....Not knocking it, but it is what it is..An Axial 28 would be a waste of money to upgrade to from a 4.6 IMHO, give each motor equal squish clearance, equal fuel, and equal plugs, and the dyno results would be identical...... I have measure the sleeves and cranks of these two mills with calipers so I am not making this up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back