STS .28 Roto start on savage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sohl

Hi

I just installed a sts .28 on my savage. i have broken 3 pull starts on the sts so i decided to change it to a roto start. i got the sts back plate and the roto wont fit so i had to convert the sts to a hpi fitting. anyway after i had donr all that i cant get my engine to run no longer than 10 sec.

any 1 can help with setting ?

i need a little more info to try to help out. how much fuel have you ran through it so far? what else did you do to the truck while you were changing the roto backplate? did you have the engine opened while changing the roto backplate? how was it running the last time you ran it? the sts engine can be a pain to start sometimes. mine used to take a lot to get it to start. r u using the roto gun or a drill. if you use a drill you need to run it in reverse and it needs to be a high speed drill for it to turn over fast enough. when you changed the gear inside the sts roto backplate do any gears seem to bind. if it binds any it will stall the engine. is the engine turning over while cranking, the oneway could be skipping and not turning over the engine as fast as it needs to be . let me know i will try to help.

sohl said:
Hi

I just installed a sts .28 on my savage. i have broken 3 pull starts on the sts so i decided to change it to a roto start. i got the sts back plate and the roto wont fit so i had to convert the sts to a hpi fitting. anyway after i had donr all that i cant get my engine to run no longer than 10 sec.

any 1 can help with setting ?
HOW IS UR EXPERIENCE ON THIS MOTOR?DOES IT HAVE GOOD ACCELERATION AND TOP END?CAN IT MAKE THE SAVAGE DO WHEELIES ON COMMAND AND HOW FAST CAN IT MAKE THE SAVAGE GO,IS IT BETTER THAN THE HPI4.6 MOTOR,I'm THINKING OF PUTTING ONE ON MY SAVAGE TOO,THANKS

EAC-ISR , i highly recommend the sts engine . i have a4.6 savage and went through 2 hpi 4.6 engines and when i changed to the sts engine it was even faster than the 4.6 ever was and it wheelies when it hits second gear and sometimes when it goes into 3rd gear. it has so much power i cant always use full throttle because it makes my truck uncontrolable sometimes. if i drag someone on hard pavement i have to let them take off first so i don't nail it and do a flip. the engine has the power to catch them and pass very quickly. its a 3 port engine but its design allows it to rev to the same rpm my 4.6 did.they reallyy are good engines and it will out preform the 4.6 very easially.

jrstorm said:
EAC-ISR , i highly recommend the sts engine . i have a4.6 savage and went through 2 hpi 4.6 engines and when i changed to the sts engine it was even faster than the 4.6 ever was and it wheelies when it hits second gear and sometimes when it goes into 3rd gear. it has so much power i cant always use full throttle because it makes my truck uncontrolable sometimes. if i drag someone on hard pavement i have to let them take off first so i don't nail it and do a flip. the engine has the power to catch them and pass very quickly. its a 3 port engine but its design allows it to rev to the same rpm my 4.6 did.they reallyy are good engines and it will out preform the 4.6 very easially.
THANKS,FOR THE REPLY,WHAT IS THE TOP SPEED THIS ENGINE GOT UR SAVAGE UP TO,I ALREADY ORDERED MY STS.28.

i have never measured the speed. but i have races my sons pirate and before we were almost even on speed. [with the 4.6 engine hpi] and now i blow him away badly, he dosent like to drag race me now because he cant beat me, even when i flip it over on take off. i still catch him and win.

jrstorm said:
i have never measured the speed. but i have races my sons pirate and before we were almost even on speed. [with the 4.6 engine hpi] and now i blow him away badly, he dosent like to drag race me now because he cant beat me, even when i flip it over on take off. i still catch him and win.
THANKS FOR THE REPLIES JRSTORM,THATS A GOOD THING TO HEAR,I CAN'T WAIT FOR MINE TO ARRIVE,THANKS AGAIN

if ya wana use the pullstart heres what ya do......convert the engine backplate back like it was......i still use a pullstart.........when my wasp28 was new i broke 3-4 pull cords in 2 days time & not by pulling it out too far either.........they allways broke close to the middle so........i replaced the standard pullstart cord with a cord from a window blinds........its the same size but stronger........you can dissolve some wax in lighter fluid & soak the cord in it & let the cord dry......the lighter fluid evaporates leaving a waxy cord & that helps make it last even longer.......slides easier through the eye too when starting.......less friction......its been in there for 4 weeks & hasn't broke yet.....not even frayed....i carry an extra length of it in my toolbox just in case it doea at the track one of these days cause if its gona break, it will probly be at the track in the middle of a race the way my luck goes........i like the pullstart better cause i aint gota lug starting rotostarts, drills & makes my box lighter too.......

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the tip 3speedlightning , that makes sense. the problem with the sts starter is the spring wears out quickly. i babby my starters, they all seem to stop retracting after around a gallon or so. the sts reps have said they use a weak spring and sts has tried to re engineer it but it still has problems. iv had the rope on other engines fray or wear through the brass ring where the string goes into , so the wax trick would help with that. the sts starter just stopps retracting like its supposed to, then it breaks . i have re loaded the spring to get a little more out of it but it gets brittle from the heat and just keeps breaking. the other prob is the sts backplate is shaped so that only an sts starter will fit it, and the starter shaft isnt a hex head like every onelses is. it is rounded with 2 flats on it instead of five like the standard ones r. i would rather use the pull start but they just don't last. i like the ps because it can let you know when its flooded and dosent let you hydro lock the engine but its a pain when the spring wears out. i guess i need to get some extra ps and just stick with it. the ps problem is part of why I'm not been using my truck.i love the power the sts has and the way it runs but i just get tired of replacing the ps so much. for us on a weekend i will use around 2 gallons of fuel so it gets to be a pain to replace it every weekend. thanks again for the tip ill try it ,as many tricks to get the ps to last longer the better.thanks again...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back