STS .28 refresh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samrsnow

AKA glue sniffer
Gearing up for race season and finally getting around to swapping out the block which had a bad casting I suppose that caused a pinhole in the side which I patched with RTV. The new block was a warranty replacement I guess after a good karenesque email if I remember correctly. Only problem is, no front bearing installed.

Now after sitting since at least 2014 I dug into it I’m an attempt to make a useful engine for my FLM savage. I ordered a new Protek bearing from Amain and tried my hand at a DIY bearing install.

I borrowed a butane torch from my brother in law and heated the hell out of the front of the block after the crank and new bearing had been in the freezer for over 30 minutes. Attempted to have it drop in but got stuck a little cockeyed, ohhh :DOH:I had to take her outside, heat the piss out of it and smack it with a small wood block and the bearing finally went in. Doesn’t appear that I damaged anything, all smooth.

One thing I did notice in disassembly is the front bearing still has a seal installed on the inside which would explain why it only lasted me maybe a gallon of fuel. My need to try the most obscure and on proven brands back then definitely came back to bite me. Shoulda bought a :piccogirl: or LRP/SH branded engine.

I ordered a new Dynamite 053 from my LHS to pair with it since my brother cannot find my Werks polished pipe and stock header assembly along with the rotostart drill after I moved away for college. Found the starter wand at least to pair with a power drill to make do.

I am determined to run this truck in the Louisiana/Mississippi Truggy classes this summer. Only thing left is to reseal the backplate and carb with RTV and it should be good to go.

3A59FF20-5768-46D5-A276-0F6314CD4AF9.jpeg

10B53ED8-B756-474E-9F1C-86271A23E1F6.jpeg

A6FEC9D9-2E24-47B2-9E4D-D97499854850.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Back