Stripped wheel hex. Fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MTBikerTim

Brushless Power!!!
This has been asked before I know but how do you fix a stripped wheel hex. I have stripped a hex on a brand new proline premount wheel. Bloody annoying since the wheel nut seems to have been tight. I have read that people glue them but the search function seems to be giving me a list of the most recent threads no matter what I search for. Any way what glue do people use and does it work?

I just remembered something. At one point during the races today the old savage did an on the spot 360. I thought a rock must have jammed in one of the wheels momentarily. After the race I checked the dog bones for damage as I thought if a rock stuck in the wheel the dog bone would be bent maybe I was wrong. Still annoying though. This is the reason I was running beadlocks. First time running glued tires and I strip a hex.

I went thorough hundreds of dollars of 14mm wheels before I switched
to 17mm. I have not stripped one 17 mm yet.

RPM, RPM, RPM
Down side: don't make a 40 size.
Up side: don't strip or break-if they do they'll replace them!
Been there, done that, with the hundreds on rims and tires that strip. RPM all the way, no more problems.

RPM, RPM, RPM
Down side: don't make a 40 size.
Up side: don't strip or break-if they do they'll replace them!
Been there, done that, with the hundreds on rims and tires that strip. RPM all the way, no more problems.

That is the one set of 14mm I did not strip the hexs on.

RPM with road hawgs

lol what does it look like when they are just about to strip??? cause the outside of my rim has some cracks comeing from the hub and heading toward the outside lol i know its probobly not good and ive been looking for some new rims sooo do i need to stop running entirely or use my theroy of runner till it falls off???

Sadly it was a 17mm hex. I stripped my 14's very early and upgraded to the 17mm hexs with maximizer wheels. I swapped to a set of these http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_26_58/products_id/15704 though for racing. Brand new first run stripped hex which is why I want to fix them so bad.

The great thing about the maximizers is they don't have bracing ridges on the inside of the wheel for things to get stuck in. This does cause them to rub on the carriers though in landings and things.

i have stripped so many 14mm hexes then changed to 17mm and stripped those but i was on bitumen with crime fighter tyres on now i have 23mm beadlocks and haven't tried them yet but they look better

Replace the nyloc nuts after every once or twice of removing the wheels. The nylon doesn't last very long at all, and even the slightest loosening of the nut will cause problems.

Also check to see that the axle threads actually protrude through the nylon in the lock nut. If there are not sufficient threads in the nylon, the nut will not hold.

Just reporting back. I JB Welded the standard savage 17mm hex into the wheel. I cleaned everything thoroughly with alcohol first and coated everywhere the hex touches the wheel with the jb weld, stuck in the hex and wiped off the excesses and let it dry for over 24 hours. So after a big jump session, even hit a tree a few times, and a day of racing the hex is still stuck solid. So far the jb weld seems to be working.

i have glued many of hexs in rims and never had a problem,jb weld seems to be the best

Latest posts

Members online

Back