Stripped Spur Gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bayslayer

Alright guys I stripped out my first spur gear after about a gallon and I want to see everybody else is running. I’ve seen Robinson Racing, Integy, Hot Racing but I’m not sure which one to go with. Also do I go with steel or aluminum?

Also do I need to replace the other gear or can I get away just doing the spur gear?

Is there also anything else I should replace since I’m taking that all apart? Clutch shoes maybe?

Thanks in advance

http://www.robinsonracing.com/catalog/savage21-25.html

I would go with the Robinson hard spur and bell combo, I am using the 48/16 on mine, but other bells are avaliable to gear any way you want, yes these say for the 21/25 models but they will fit all Savage models fine.....Make sure you have a new slipper pad as it glues on the back of the spur gear.....

As for clutch shoes I like to use aluminum shoes on my rigs with 1.0 or 1.1 springs......

I’m running the stock gears in my x4.6 which I think are 47/17? I definitely don’t want more torque because I already can’t keep the front tires on the ground

HPI has alloy shoes, Dynamite Max life shoes are good also, just look on E bay there are usually several choices.....

HPI has alloy shoes, Dynamite Max life shoes are good also, just look on E bay there are usually several choices.....
Yep, to both of those. I've had good luck with HPI alloy and the max lifes in various rigs.

I run 47/17 in my X currently. I have the steel HPI 47T steel spur and I run an OFNA hardened bell. Been fine for a few years now. Haven't run nitro much since I started electric last year, but I did break the beast out for a bash or two. I have a LRP30 in it.

The tires you run also kind of dictate gearing as well as the terrain you run on. If you spend all your time on pavement and you have smaller tires, you can get away with higher gearing without stressing the clutch so much. But if you spend a lot of time in grass/dirt, then you have to gear a bit more conservative or you end up melting shoes and cooking the bearings due to the slip of the shoes.

My LRP30 will pull 18/47 gearing without a problem as it has the torque, but I notice a lot of clutch slip. I was going to go to 19/47 due to flat ground running I had done with the 30 in it on 18/47 and it seemed to do ok. Then I ran it offroad a bit with 18/47 and noticed the engine picking up RPM's, but the truck took too long to catch up, so I think I ended up going back to 17/47. Still plenty of speed and way too many wheelies, but I'd rather have a rig I don't a have to be easy on and can rely on it.

Latest posts

Members online

Back