Stripped spur gear...........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

savagebry

well the second run with my savage and the spur gear has completely stripped. So ordered a new stock plastic one. I have read up on making sure the clutch bell is meshed right with the spur but just wondered if changing the clutch shoes for some uprated on would help with the heat transfer ect? If so what do people recommend?

Thanks for your time

it might reduce a lil heat ... but if it looks like your spur was melted due to heat.. it might have gotten stuck on something then tried to muscle it out with more throttle? then the clutch n spur arent moving but the shoes are slipping causing it to build up heat instantly...then in return melts a spot in the spur gear ... get the mesh set right n youll be ok to go again ... if the mesh is to close it can melt it to ... also if the sping and nut are to lose causing the slipper pad to slip itll create heat n melt the spur to .. i crank my spring down all the way as tight as i can get it ... but if you don't trust it . you can tighten it up all the way then back it off 1/8 turn .... hope this helps ...as for my clutch set ups i use the aluminum ones from a xl...nothing special ....

thanks for the info guys. Should there be any play in the clutch bell at all? its up and down play but only minimal?

sorry for the newbie questions

ok sorted the play thanks again. How do you mesh spur gear and cluth bell as i cant see enough to do it bye eye. Is there any tips and tricks ?

yeah use a piece of paper like lined paoer .. fold it so its doubled... place it between the clutch bell and the spur so it creases it into the teeth with out tearing.. then tighten doen the motor.. once donr turn spur gear to get the paper out... should feel smooth n your set....

Can't thank you enough for ya help. I have rebuilt it and it started, when it ticks over fo the bit that it does with out cutting out the spur and clutch move a bit juddering if you like. I don't mean spinning just juddering.

Thanks again

Ok thanks again. Just tick over to sort now

I melted my stock gear to from doing wheelies. I replaced it with a steel one and I'm loving it. Only thing is I have to figure out my tranny problems.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back