stop and go trouble shooting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KPSavage2017

hello! I need some assistance... here is my situation

average environmental temp 110* when I drive my Savage XS Flux. I have been running a NiMH 6 cell battery because I cant get access to Lipos where I am at. Truck will drive fine for 1o-15 minutes then it will just stop then sometimes start going again or will take up to 2 minutes to start going again, most of the time revers does not work or is super touchy.

Is it just too hot and I have to deal with it?

have you disabled the LiPo cutoff, you will not need it if running NiMH batteries, sounds as if it is kicking in and stopping your rig from operating......

Do note that it could be the ESC's thermal cutoff kicking in, too. This winter, I experienced behavior similar to that reported with my new XS F150, running a 2S 5000 mAh 50C LiPo, and discovered my ESC fan had died. I ordered a similarly sized replacement fan, soldered a compatible connector, then was up and running as normal. I've also seen some videos where folks replaced the small stock ESC fan with a larger diameter model pushing more air.

Another time I saw behavior like this was running an inadequate battery. I dropped in a 2000 mAh 20C LiPo I'd charged up for a 1:18 scale buggy, and the XS' current draw was too much for the battery and after a few mins it cut out and was quite toasty. If my math & battery understanding are correct, 50C x 5Ah = 250A peak draw capability, whereas 20C x 2Ah = 40A peak draw capability. I think HPI's advice in the manual to run a 25C LiPo battery overlooks the practical dependency of a C rating on the mAh rating.

Finally, I am wondering if you may try tweaking the engine gearing or even the ESC settings like punch or motor timing advance to soften up the load given your hot environmental conditions. I got tired of some friends crashing the XS time and again because of their inability to modulate the trigger, so I went through the various ESC settings to soften up acceleration (punch) and seem to get some additional run time as a bonus. Crash avoidance is quite important since it seems impossible to find replacement bodies!

Good luck, and let us know what you find works for you.

I'm pretty sure this is going to be the LiPo cutoff issue. When you put a load on a NiMH the voltage drops way more than it does on a LiPo, so it's more likely to trip the cutoff.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.
Back